Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator

flag-800.png

musicfan

I mean technically it's the broadcasters that compete, not the countries, so yeah that's pretty much it.

However, it's very hard to fully disconnect a public broadcaster from the state, in some cases (like Belarus) more than others but it's hardly the only politicized public broadcaster out there, but probably the most extreme one out of the ones currently active in Eurovision.

I personally don't believe that any public broadcaster is politically independent, I mean it's almost impossible since they are state funded and directly or indirectly under political control, but yeah there's a difference between being non-independent and being a propaganda tool supporting mass-imprisonment of peaceful protesters like the Belarusian one is doing.

Not technically, it's the reality that the broadcasters submit the songs. In a very few cases some governments may intervene. But most music is not about politics, for all the flag waving and people insisting their country is the best as they have had good placings. For people that are more concerned about the songs the country name is just a shorthand way of referencing the songs.

JohnArg

A-lister

Veteran
Not technically, it's the reality that the broadcasters submit the songs. In a very few cases some governments may intervene. But most music is not about politics, for all the flag waving and people insisting their country is the best as they have had good placings. For people that are more concerned about the songs the country name is just a shorthand way of referencing the songs.

Yes, the broadcasters submit but the entries formally represent the countries hence the "technically".

Not sure what you mean by the rest of your comment though? I think it's been pretty much settled now that Belarus won't take part as long as the regime is there.

Last edited:

vavera4ka

Meanwhile Naviband collaborated with Ryan O'Reilly and a year after releasing Girl in White in Russian, released it in English.

mup

Absolutely shameful. This subspecies of "man" was the one who put himself in charge to "preserve Belarusian sovereignty and interests", and look now: he made Belarus Putin's doormat, attacking a neighboring country, while Belarusians have been deprived of basic rights and prospects for decades. :(

Hopefully, in the future, Belarusians will work out a way to overthrow him and become a democracy, it won't be easy though.

Top Bottom