Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator

flag-800.png

Mainshow

Veteran
Musically speaking and from an entertainment perspective, I will deeply miss them.
Apart from a few entries I did not like, I think that Belarus was better, more competitive or entertaining than the UK, Germany, Spain or Russia in the last decade.

Hope to see them back very soon (when they ditched Lukashenko)!

Sammy

Veteran
Musically speaking and from an entertainment perspective, I will deeply miss them.
Apart from a few entries I did not like, I think that Belarus was better, more competitive or entertaining than the UK, Germany, Spain or Russia in the last decade.

Hope to see them back very soon (when they ditched Lukashenko)!
Things beeing as they are I assume Putin will decide when this will happen… which means that „soon“ is rather improbable.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
BTRC has been removed from the "members" section in the EBU's website.

iwanna belovewithyou

I believe that the ebu should not be politically influenced by the european union, especially because the latter does not even bring out a single euro for the eurovision

AlekS

Veteran
I believe that the ebu should not be politically influenced
I believe BTRC shouldn't have fired dozens of people connected to Eurovision, basing on political reasons.
BTRC shouldn't have supported/justified numerous crimes against humanity commited by Lukashenko regime.
BTRC shouldn't have turned into North Korean media, slamming Ukraine/Europe on a daily basis with the worst examples of Soviet propahanda and inviting "experts" (experts in war crimes maybe :rolleyes:) that are wanted by Interpol.
BTRC shouldn't have chosen a badly masked political promotion of violence (twice) as their ESC entry, that threatens to throw protesters in jail, and murder Ukrainians.
BTRC shouldn't have issued homophobic, xenophobic political statements against the contest numerous times.

Eurovision is not a platform for promoting violence and spreading Soviet anti-Western and anti-human political bs xshrug

AlekS

Veteran
BTRC issued another schizophrenic statement where they blamed :pl: :lt: :cz: :de: :no: broadcasters in being biased against Belarus. They implied that the EBU discusses Russian threat all the time (sure, that's why they fined Ukraine in 2017 and have just re-elected pro-Russian member of the Reference Group :lol: ). Like... dude, you've just been banned and the 1st thing you care about is Russia? Russian security service doesn't even disguise themselves.

Their stupidity & mental disorder blossomed into blaming the EBU in not having different opinions / voting unanimously all the time... and saying that they have many friends in the EBU. Like... how does it even work together? Friends who voted against you? Unanimously
zKnpn4q.gif

And of course political manipulations and blaming :us: :ua: :lv: :fr: :nl:.

Judging by the tone, the article was written by Russian curators.

"We will save many millions of euros and make a dream of the majority of Belarusians come true. No more Eurovision!"

ps. Good news! There is an agency that wants to take BTRC's place. It seems my suggestion worked & :pl: Belsat wants to join the EBU :)

Last edited:

AlekS

Veteran
source? link?
The same article from BTRC. The last paragraph.

Here's the text for those who don't want to visit that site:

Last edited:

elanyvx

The same article from BTRC. The last paragraph.

Here's the text for those who don't want to visit that site:

is like IBA and KAN for Israel but with other reasons? surely it could be a long and different process than the Israeli one. I don't think Belarus can return with a new broadcaster in less than a year. First of all, the Belsat broadcaster has to join the EBU members.

Sammy

Veteran
how to become an EBU member
EBU Membership is open to authorized broadcasting organizations from countries which are either within the European Broadcasting Area (as defined by the ITU) or, if their country is outside that area, are members of the Council of Europe. The EBU represents and defends the interests of its Members within all spheres and by any appropriate means. In essence, individual membership implies an obligation to provide varied and balanced programming for all sections of the population. Further, more detailed criteria are defined in the EBU Statutes under Articles 3.2 to 3.7 and the Regulation on Detailed Membership Criteria.

These points make it very hard to get some company outside Belarus to represent the country in eurovision.

Consider that Liechtenstein never participated because they couldn‘t provide enough independant programming on their mini-channel. That would be a huge difficulty for a channel outside Belarus as well.

Plus: it has to be authorized by the country it represents. Do you think Belarus is authorizing a company outside its borders?

So, no, the comparision with KAN and IBA does not apply here really…

iwanna belovewithyou

thanks to the pressures of some european countries, the ebu will not only lose another country to the eurovision, but above all it will lose a country to the eurojunior and Belarus has always participated and is a founding country of the eurojunior. It is not over Belarus has organized two eurojunior, and after the first time I hosted the eurojunior the ebu shamelessly asked Belarus to organize the eurojunior of the following year as well, because the ebu was so happy with the organization and then because it had no other countries willing to organize the eurojunior, without Belarus the end of the eurojunior is getting closer and closer.

AlekS

Veteran
First of all, the Belsat broadcaster has to join the EBU members.
Belsat has already joined the EBU ;) It's a TVP's channel. No chances there, imho.
However, they said "agencies". The new one from Poland, Russia or Ukraine? :unsure: Some Belarusian TV staff moved to Ukraine, I'm wondering if the new channel will emerge soon.

Plus: it has to be authorized by the country it represents. Do you think Belarus is authorizing a company outside its borders?
By the country or by the country's particular authorities? ;) Authorized by whom? Is it written in the rules? This can be a public broadcaster too, but not controlled by the state.
+ the EBU is no stranger to exceptions.
As for programming. Considering the number of Belurusians here, it won't be a problem. + we've banned a few pro-Russian channels recently, for the same reasons like BTRC. If certain "somebody" wants to buy them...
My main issue is the voting. But it can be done via the app, with Belarusian number verification (like our own app).

Last edited:

Sammy

Veteran
Belsat has already joined the EBU ;) It's a TVP's channel. No chances there, imho.
However, they said "agencies". The new one from Poland, Russia or Ukraine? :unsure: Some Belarusian TV staff moved to Ukraine, I'm wondering if the new channel will emerge soon.

By the country or by the country's particular authorities? ;) Authorized by whom? Is it written in the rules? This can be a public broadcaster too, but not controlled by the state.
+ the EBU is no stranger to exceptions.
As for programming. Considering the number of Belurusians here, it won't be a problem. + we've banned a few pro-Russian channels recently, for the same reasons like BTRC. If certain "somebody" wants to buy them...
My main issue is the voting. But it can be done via the app, with Belarusian number verification (like our own app).
How can a country be politically defined without its authorities in power? The very word authorized refers to the authorities of a country…

AlekS

Veteran
How can a country be politically defined without its authorities in power? The very word authorized refers to the authorities of a country…
The word authorized doesn't neccessary mean the state authorities. What does make one broadcaster official? The government's approval, or being authorized by the National Broadcast Council (independent organization)?

Authorized by another country but staying Belarusian? How is that possible, well ... I mean, they are going to use the other country's capacities, so they will have to be authorized by that country. They will have to be registered as a company and get a broadcast license. Doing it in Belarus is de facto impossible - they will be denied, already existing company will be closed, everyone involved will be put on the wanted list. Thus our authority can give them international agent status, because it won't be registered by Ukrainian citizens. They will transmit signal to Belarusian territory without being there physically. They will get authorized by another country as a non-profit Belarusian company.

Last edited:

Sammy

Veteran
The word authorized doesn't neccessary mean the state authorities. What does make one broadcaster official? The government's approval, or being authorized by the National Broadcast Council (independent organization)?

Authorized by another country but staying Belarusian? How is that possible, well ... I mean, they are going to use the other country's capacities, so they will have to be authorized by that country. They will have to be registered as a company and get a broadcast license. Doing it in Belarus is de facto impossible - they will be denied, already existing company will be closed, everyone involved will be put on the wanted list. Thus our authority can give them international agent status, because it won't be registered by Ukrainian citizens. They will transmit signal to Belarusian territory without being there physically. They will get authorized by another country as a non-profit Belarusian company.
I appreciate your effor to think through a possibility, but long story short: we will not see a belarussian entry for quite some time. I‘m very pessimistic here.

VirginiaVision

The #1 thing I will miss about Belarus at Eurovision is their propensity for chaotic national finals. Reading about their 2010-13 stint is fascinating to me.

When is the selection happening?
-I dunno. Maybe they'll tell us the day before.
Is it gonna go smoothly?
-Unclear. The video quality might suck, the whole thing may be rigged, who knows!

On a side note, VAL (2020) just put out a new EP if anyone wants to give it a listen

Lance Esgard

What does make one broadcaster official? The government's approval, or being authorized by the National Broadcast Council (independent organization)?
Per the Eurovision Song Contest Rules, what makes a state broadcaster a state broadcaster is that they are broadcasting to the state that they represent.

Under Section 2, rule 2.4.1 states:

'Each Participating Broadcaster shall broadcast live the Semi-Final in which it has a contestant in its entirety on one of its main national terrestrial channels.'

AND

'All Participating Broadcasters shall broadcast the Final live in its entirety on one of their main national terrestrial channels.'

This is the wording from the Full Rules of the 60th Contest, but it has not significantly changed since.

So in order for another Belarussian broadcaster to be eligible, they have to be able to broadcast the final (and the semi-final in which they participate) live on a main national terrestrial channel.

AlekS

Veteran
So in order for another Belarussian broadcaster to be eligible, they have to be able to broadcast the final (and the semi-final in which they participate) live on a main national terrestrial channel.
You highlighted the wrong parts. The main issue is the terrestrial broadcast.
After switching to digital television, the transmission range became smaller and it won't be enough to cover the whole Belarusian territory. So it's impossible, unless the EBU excludes terrestrial thing (outdated and discriminative against satellite broadcast) from their rules.

Lance Esgard

You highlighted the wrong parts. The main issue is the terrestrial broadcast.
After switching to digital television, the transmission range became smaller and it won't be enough to cover the whole Belarusian territory. So it's impossible, unless the EBU excludes terrestrial thing (outdated and discriminative against satellite broadcast) from their rules.
I didn't highlight those parts. Those were the parts highlighted in the source document as quoted.

Top Bottom