Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

vavera4ka

It's ironic that their first song is titled "I'll Teach You" but in the end they got taught a lesson by EBU. Karma at its finest.
unfortunately they won't know it
it's like using sarcasm against a not very bright person. you might get satisfaction in a clever put down, but... what is it about a tree falling in the forest? lol
they are already crying about how their vid was so watched so loved, breaking so many records (no mention of dislike ratio record though) and evil EBU has banned them and now Europe won't see their grand and genius song.

crashworld

Veteran
unfortunately they won't know it
it's like using sarcasm against a not very bright person. you might get satisfaction in a clever put down, but... what is it about a tree falling in the forest? lol
they are already crying about how their vid was so watched so loved, breaking so many records (no mention of dislike ratio record though) and evil EBU has banned them and now Europe won't see their grand and genius song.

They are just self-delusional at best. That's why I'm hoping EBU will also slap a hefty fine on them for going against the rules knowingly and repeatedly.

And also, to be frank, if Belarus is going to continue sending such acts in the future, then I guess I'd rather they not participate at all. So it's not really a loss looking from that perspective.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
not to my knowledge, unless it's smth new or very niche... (are there any roosters in the text? cause that one is the most popular one)
zajats (or zajchik, zaj, and other derivatives) is a very common term of endearment... can be used in a condescending manner like all terms of endearment, though.
hare is usually associated with cowardice in folklore. to take it even further (idk if it was meant that way, i'm prone to overthinking lol): "hare" in Belarusian is the same word as Russian language uses for coward. Coward in Belarusian is a different word...

Thanks for sharing, wiwibloggs mentioned the same thing but sounds like that there is a lot of room for interpretation here

The EBU did not disclose the exact nature of the rule breach. However, it is suggested that “Pesnyu pro zaytsa (Song about a bunny)” contains homophobic language and political connotations in its lyrics. “Bunny” is a homophobic slur sometimes used against gay men.

Iker

Veteran
Disappointing. I feel for Efendi and her losing 18+ pts but I'm glad the EBU didn't allow to get such entries in the way of the Eurovision spirit.

They still need to work on their rules, though.
Russia also would need those points imho. I really like Manizha and hopefully she will not join to Mountain Samoylova.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Kinda sad really, i was unironically looking forward to seeing this performance, and how it would be received. That's actually two countries departing this year, bringing it down to 39 countries, the lowest since the 37 in 2014. Not so sure either of them will come back either, maybe we'll see even more departures next year.

I wish all the countries that don't take Eurovision seriously to leave.

anto475

It's great that the EBU have rejected this but I really wonder where they draw the line. The contest has been politicised since its inception. There are many countries with human rights abuses that are still involved in the contest (some even worse than Belarus). And now people are celebrating Belarus being kicked out while hoping for Kazakhstan to join the contest in the same breath? I'd love to see Kazakhstan join but the hypocrisy of being joyful that "Europe's last dictatorship" is kicked out while welcoming another dictatorship is astounding.

I'm guessing that the only reason Belarus's song was rejected was because it was overtly political and was within a hair's width of speaking directly about the situation in Belarus. And this isn't the big win that people are talking about. This is what Lukashenka and the Belarussian government and elites want. If they truly wanted to participate this year they would not have chosen such an inflammatory song. Now the EBU can turn to its audience and say "we didn't allow the dictatorship" and Lukashenko can turn to his audience and say "the EBU is being political about the songs it admits to the contest". Now they can say the EBU is another enemy, just like the EU and the opposition and that the Eurovision is pointless anyway for not admitting this song.

ag89

If this is a correct interpretation of the song then I am super happy they couldn't even reach the point of getting a platform to send a message of their song toward masses. With disqualification most Europeans will not even get a chance to hear anything about it. As I mentioned earlier, all this drama is just another sign the regime is going downhill. Slowly but surely.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I've listened to it. In addition to being lyrically problematic (lol nice fucking try comparing opposition leaders to foxes and telling them they should be careful not to hang thmselves), the melody is also much worse.

so.

BYE. :-)

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
So as everyone expected Belarus is DQ from the ESC 2021.

I just hope they get their sh*t together. This is supposed to be a show where music, ethnic differences, different religions and races are celebrated (oh and shirtless men too). Not a place for politics. Can't we all just be happy and free?

Not want to have a political conversation going on but I just want to say that I hope Belarus can be free country and society in a very near future.

Iker

Veteran
What was inappropriate in that song about bunnies? But I know that the lyrics could be interpreted as a current, political manifesto.

I am not a fan of GalasyZMesta strong political connotations, but EBU might have overreacted.

Last edited:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
I'm really curious to know what Lukashenko thinks about the country's disqualification. When can we expect a statement from him?

Remisan

I read on Social Media that bunny is also used as a slur towards gay men, need confirmation on that.
The members of this group are homophobes, transphobes and chauvinists, but "hare" in this song is not about homosexual people. "Little hare, you are still a boy (child)" = "you are naive and stupid"
politics only

not to my knowledge, unless it's smth new or very niche... (are there any roosters in the text? cause that one is the most popular one)
zajats (or zajchik, zaj, and other derivatives) is a very common term of endearment... can be used in a condescending manner like all terms of endearment, though.
hare is usually associated with cowardice in folklore. to take it even further (idk if it was meant that way, i'm prone to overthinking lol): "hare" in Belarusian is the same word as Russian language uses for coward. Coward in Belarusian is a different word...
you're right
"petukh" (bird rooster) is insult in russian

The bear is a big bearded gay, and the hare is a young slender gay. But this is rarely used, not an insult. Sometimes gays referred to themselves as bears or hares. I don't think that GalasyZMista knew about it.

An elderly person like my grandmother can call a person "cowardly like a hare", young people usually don't say that.

Hares as a good heroes are used in Russian folk tales, cartoons, postcards, a good song about hares was in the Soviet film "The Diamond Arm"
Perhaps GalasyZMista tried to play on nostalgia (a soviet song about hares), but wrote a disgusting political song. :cautious::mad:

I am glad that Lukashenko's song was disqualified this year!

Last edited:

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
Hare also used to be unofficial name of Belarusian Ruble currency because in 90s when new money appeared, they had all the Belarusian animals on it, and 1 Ruble had Hare. Since that 1 Ruble = 1 Hare etc 🤣

Top Bottom