Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Iker

Veteran
In my opinion clean pop songs sung in english are something I could so easily hear all the time on the radio, at the supermarket, etc. There is nothing wrong about that, I like some of them but that's just not what is the more interesting to me when watching nf/esc.

As a French woman living in France, be able to discover music I would never hear on the radio, in so many languages, so many genres, is what I love about eurovision.

You talk about joke acts? Yes, there are some of them but people often call jokes acts what in my mind aren't at all. I often read that fun songs are joke entries, but to me joke entries are when a country send purposely bad songs with minimal effort on them. For example Les fatals picards, it's a band having a fun entry about cliché "France is a romantic country" but it is a joke act? Not in my mind: it's a good and fun song with ridiculous Jean-Paul Gautier outfits but I don't see why it would be sooo bad for esc to watch such songs.

In the 2007 grand finale there was: Unsubstantial blues, Visionary Dream, Leave Me Alone, Song 1, Frauen regieren die Welt, Molitva, Water, Shake It Up Şekerim... But you describe this as "soo much joke entries and now we have so lu h more diversity", like: really? (And one more time I don't deny that there were joke entries, but not as many as people say, and it added a little bit of crazyness, even if I wouldn't neither like the all contest to be only about that.)

That's why I love to see nowadays songs like Shum or Russian woman, it gives me the 00s vibes of "everything is possible".

In 2008, Missä Miehet Ratsastaa and Deli are two of my favourites esc entries evar. 💕

And to me it's not only the songs themselves but also the really strange postcards sometimes etc., it was less polished and of course it doesn't mean that it was always good but the overall package of all that is something more surprising.
There was a lot of joke / protest entries in the 00s that bluntly pissed at the Eurovision, to name a few: Iceland & Lithuania in 2006, Ireland 2008, Spain 2008, arguably UK 2007. Some of them were funny but I don't miss joke entries at the ESC to be fair and it's good we're past them for the most part. Even though sometimes the juries make me angry they overall improved the contest for me.
I liked 2007 a lot more, 2008 wasn't such a great year for me, even though the year had one of my alltime fave "Deli".xheart
I have just rewatched some entries from 2007, and I have to say that I am still wowed by Georgia! Visionary Dream is such a gem! What do you think about Georgia's debut at the ESC?

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
There was a lot of joke / protest entries in the 00s that bluntly pissed at the Eurovision, to name a few: Iceland & Lithuania in 2006, Ireland 2008, Spain 2008. Some of them were funny but I don't miss joke entries at the ESC to be fair and it's good we're past them for the most part. Even though sometimes the juries make me angry they overall improved the contest for me.

I have just rewatched some entries from 2007, and I have to say that I am still wowed by Georgia! Visionary Dream is such a gem! What do you think about Georgia's debut at the ESC?
Sopho was absolutely gorgia-ous (pun intended)! Dramatic and unpredictable song. And her voice was incredible as well as her stage presence! xlove

Ianp16

Yeah, this is completely off the thread subject but Georgia 2007 is probably only entry that stood out for me when I re-watched the '07 contest last summer. It's such a good entry that still sounds contemporary. It would probably do a lot better in 2021!

Edit: And of course Ukraine, Bulgaria and SCOOCH!

Last edited:

harey

@Iker I don't deny that there were joke entries but what bother me is that people in general often say that "00s were really bad for eurovision because of all that jokes entries" when in fact... they are not the vast majority and there's really much more than joke entries during that period. So, is a joke entry everything which is not polished? Or just a song people find bad? Or maybe just a fun song? Where can I find a list of what is a joke entry? Germany 2021? Sweden 2015? Cyprus 2019? Just asking, because I have also seen people calling Hatari and Dadi joke entries... So 2010s also seem full of jokes entries?!?

Well, I also like current esc (I wouldn't be there otherwise) but to me when people are just rejecting 00s by saying that it was really awful times, it's a way to just praise nowadays by rejecting an entire era that was way more that just jokes entries and a lot of people like to use the "joke entry" theme to push down every song out of the box they don't like.

Iker

Veteran
@Iker I don't deny that there were joke entries but what bother me is that people in general often say that "00s were really bad for eurovision because of all that jokes entries" when in fact... they are not the vast majority and there's really much more than joke entries during that period. So, is a joke entry everything which is not polished? Or just a song people find bad? Or maybe just a fun song? Where can I find a list of what is a joke entry? Germany 2021? Sweden 2015? Cyprus 2019? Just asking, because I have also seen people calling Hatari and Dadi joke entries... So 2010s also seem full of jokes entries?!?

Well, I also like current esc (I wouldn't be there otherwise) but to me when people are just rejecting 00s by saying that it was really awful times, it's a way to just praise nowadays by rejecting an entire era that was way more that just jokes entries and a lot of people like to use the "joke entry" theme to push down every song out of the box they don't like.

Yeah, btw. I am not among those who claim that 00s were bad because of those joke entries. They were more like a consequence and by-product of how Eurovision worked in those days and certain countries being fed up with it. But it sadly has tarnished the contest in the eyes of many. And no, joke entry is clearly a separate category - it is something that delibarately tries to troll you and often openly in its lyrics mocks the contest. 'Funny' or 'not polished' entries do not count as joke entries, 'Toy' of Netta was not a joke entry either unlike what some suggested, it was a well-polished competitive song with a quirk that was supposed to be funny / ridiculous but not a joke entry in a vein of Dustin the Turkey.

Last edited:

hijirio

Veteran
LET THE CELEBRATION BEGIN

giphy.gif

vavera4ka

hopefully next year. under new flag. with a quality entry, after a good national selection that will truly show the best Belarus has to offer.
And the only hint at politics that will be on the stage would be the white color of the costumes - symbol of peaceful marches that made that entry possible.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
...Aaaand the quality of this year's competition has just gone up by 80%, at the very least!

Top Bottom