Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammy

Veteran
Hopefully they're out this year and next year will be back with the actual Belarusian white-red-white flag and a new government...

Although I'm afraid next year they will have become a Russian republic by then, so I am not sure we will ever have Belarus back in the contest... xshrug
exactly.
Belarus won‘t return until Lukashenko has gone. Same goes for Turkey and Hungary. Without a change in the political leadership, they will stay out I fear.

rasmuslights

Veteran
exactly.
Belarus won‘t return until Lukashenko has gone. Same goes for Turkey and Hungary. Without a change in the political leadership, they will stay out I fear.

nah I think Hungary might return. I also think a change in Belarus should be expected soon (3 years max.) Because people in Belarus are actually sick of Lukashenko, in Hungary and Turkey it's different, Erdogan and Orban (lol they both end on -an) have a lot of fans.

A-lister

Veteran
nah I think Hungary might return. I also think a change in Belarus should be expected soon (3 years max.) Because people in Belarus are actually sick of Lukashenko, in Hungary and Turkey it's different, Erdogan and Orban (lol they both end on -an) have a lot of fans.
Hungary isn't torturing its people en masse though, people can have whatever political opinions they have, but the Belarus case is something different.

I wouldn't mind Hungary back in ESC, with Orban or a new government, although with Belarus I really think Lukashenko shouldn't have this platform, the regime there clearly overstepped.

Sammy

Veteran
Hungary isn't torturing its people en masse though, people can have whatever political opinions they have, but the Belarus case is something different.

I wouldn't mind Hungary back in ESC, with Orban or a new government, although with Belarus I really think Lukashenko shouldn't have this platform, the regime there clearly overstepped.
I didn't compare Hungary or Turkey to the regime in Belarus. I said, I don't think they'll return unless a change in their political leadership. That's the parallel, I was pointing out.

ag89

Not trying to deny this, but I have never met a single Turk or a Hungarian who had something nice to tell about those two you mentioned.

Sammy

Veteran
I'm pretty sure they won't change the lyrics hence DSQ this entry looks a reality. IMO it's going to be a couple of years until we see Belarus at ESC again.
I don't think they wait for DSQ. They will withdraw before.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Not trying to deny this, but I have never met a single Turk or a Hungarian who had something nice to tell about those two you mentioned.

well they do have elections in those countries, in Hungary for sure pretty much democratic (in Turkey a bit doubtful but still) and they won them for a couple of years so yes the younger generation may not like them, that doesn't mean they don't have a fan base haha.:)

A-lister

Veteran
I didn't compare Hungary or Turkey to the regime in Belarus. I said, I don't think they'll return unless a change in their political leadership. That's the parallel, I was pointing out.

I didn't mean that you (or the person I responded to) meant that, I was just throwing it out there because I've seen a general confusion when it comes to for instance Hungary and comparisons to Belarus that are simply out of this world (again, I didn't mean you compared the leaderships, more that the parallels can be understood by some at least as if the leaderships are comparable somehow).

But you might be right, I also don't think Hungary will be back with the current government. As for Turkey, also not, but the Turkish regime I'd say is more comparable to the Belarusian in terms of human rights violations, so I think the context is a bit different. If hypothetically both Hungary and Turkey would want to return to ESC (but still with their current leaderships), I'd be more hesitant with Turkey.

Iker

Veteran
Wow, the music video has been removed from the ESC channel! On one hand it is great but on the other ... I really wanted to read the comments

Iker

Veteran
The fact that they are sick of him does not change anything sadly, no matter how hard they protest and how clear was that the election was a fraud. I am afraid that only something like a coup can change it soon.

crashworld

Veteran
Actually the thing now is what will be the punitive measures against the Belarusian TV broadcaster should they face disqualification or they withdraw from the contest on their own? I'm sure they will get fined by EBU either way right?

I bims

Veteran
Why they accepted this in the first place? Did they really needed the reaction of the community to understand that this song should not be allowed to participate in Eurovision?
I think that was intended and a trap. (Theory incoming)

Imagine the EBU never released the song and disqualified Belarus. Lukashenko could then play the victim card and claim that the EBU is political and unfair. Without the context of the song that would be a huge controversy.
But that didn't happen now because we could hear for ourselves what was wrong with it and it was the public that pushed for it and the EBU appears more neutral (especiall when they still let them participate with a different song).

I don't think the EBU did really that bad here.

John1

belarus withdrawing would be the best option, even though it would be a great opportunity for them to select either Kazna or Zena.

A-lister

Veteran
I think that was intended and a trap. (Theory incoming)

Imagine the EBU never released the song and disqualified Belarus. Lukashenko could then play the victim card and claim that the EBU ist political and unfair. Without the context of the song that would be a huge controversy.
But that didn't happen now because we could hear for ourselves what was wrong with it and it was the public that pushed for it and the EBU appears more neutral (especiall when they still let them participate with a different song).

I don't think the EBU did really that bad here.

Actually, when you put it this way it makes sense.

I initially thought that the Belarusian broadcaster played EBU, but the point you make actually seems to be EBU playing the House of Cards game better.

Although I still think they should have banned the broadcaster regardless, when it's a question of human rights violations you need to stand firm on the right side of history, but yeah from a symbolic/tactical geo-political kind of point then yeah, this might have been the smartest move by EBU and in fact the Belarusian regime is ridiculing itself even more.

Top Bottom