7 6.9%

4 4.0%

4 4.0%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Belarus-scaled.jpg

Alaska49

okay the only reason i exist right now is for the fact Plagiarism Trash Queen NAPOLI's entry is classified as "for kids" by youtube so you can't comment on it or put it on playlists or anything

the shade of it all

don't take my word for it check it out

https://youtu.be/tr7FKUA5PBo

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
okay the only reason i exist right now is for the fact Plagiarism Trash Queen NAPOLI's entry is classified as "for kids" by youtube so you can't comment on it or put it on playlists or anything

the shade of it all

don't take my word for it check it out

https://youtu.be/tr7FKUA5PBo
belarus getting their third victory on jesc this year xheat

yuya.rooo

I haven’t listend to any songs before and judging by your comments it probably was a good decision cause otherwise my heart would be in pieces right now.
However, that means that I can judge this song without being sad, angry etc.
It’s a middle of the road song for me but it definitely isn’t bad. It starts off kinda meh but after one minute I really like it and I can totally see it qualifying. :6: from me

A-lister

Veteran
It's decent, and it's nice to have Belarusian back in the contest, considering the language is almost extinct it's symbolically important too, but gosh the jurors? Wiwibloggers of course brought into yet another national final to trash... what's new?

I think the international jury system is a really bad one, don't like it for MF either and it's a virus spreading to various national finals now showing a lack of self-confidence in your own choices and taste...

njdevils94

Veteran
:by: Nationalny Otbor 2020 Recap

1. NAPOLI - Don't Let Me Down

Wow this staging. :lol: Totally different from the auditions. One of the backing dancers with lips in front of his mask and the other and eyeball tied together with Napoli who was wearing a neon yellow outfit. It was supposed to be a fun opener and visually it was but the song to me is just a repetitive bore after 90 seconds or so. Also her voice cracked at the end there.
rip.gif
Not surprised this flopped in the televote.

2. Sasha Zaharik - Rocky Road

Another one that is highly repetitive. I kind of like her styling though with matching pajama pants and jacket but the pink eye make-up was a strange choice. She's a pretty good singer to be fair. Whole performance was very reliant on the LED graphics with Sasha superimposed on to them doing various activities to stop the monotonous looping chorus of "I'm ok on this rock road..."

3. Anastasiya Malashkevich - Invisible

Her hat reminds me of the ones Silvija Pankuaite and GeraiGerai backing singers used in the 2018 Lithuania selection. The backing dancers with cloth covering their mouths. Getting to the song though this is a typical Ylva & Linda pop ballad and although the staging was nice would crash and burn at ESC. How the juries think this was the 3rd best choice is beyond me.

4. CHАKRАS - La-ley-la

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I really think Belarus threw away a top 5 at the very least and their best result ever thanks to International Juries' tastes. This was just epic in every way and possibly more accessible than Katya Chilly's Vidbir song which it drew some comparisons too. All the bird, and dolphin noises at the beginning. Water and fire crossing paths in the backing screens. Olena's playing her jaw-harp and the horse noises she made. To top it all off their scintillating harmonies producing this spellbinding magical performance. To think this song was written about one of their former cats. :eek: Songs with no lyrics is quite an innovation which hopefully we see at some point in ESC

I'm curious to see how much they ended up winning the tele-vote by in the end. This would've been the closest thing we got to Nocturne and The Voice in many years. Absolutely devastated the international juries marked this down. As I always say though they have ulterior motives for their respective countries.

5. Nastya Glamozda - Burning Again

I might be the only one that kind of likes this song. The business suit was certainly a look on her. Her diction was questionable at times and the song can drag on a bit. Once again it look good on tv. The illusion of the starry floor graphics rotating and the pink tree in the night both caught the eye. With all that being said this wasn't really a competitive song for Eurovision.

6. Anastasiya Razvadоvskaya - Hello

Oh dear another voice crack. This was the first really cheap looking performance of the night and certainly not helped by Nastasea's really poor vocals. Hello has a decent beat to it but when you butcher a song that badly there is no saving it. No surprise this got two bagels in the voting.

7. Yan Yarosh - Fire

The only male who mad the final and guessing that played to his advantage of win the international jury. Staging was pretty simple here with Yan on the keyboard piano and other members on various images. Fitting there was pyro for a song called Fire. :twirl: It's a decent song but not towards the top for me of this national final. Also it seems he was speaking Melovinish the whole way through as I could barely understand what he was singing.

8. Angelika Pushnоva - True Love

Such and energetic tropical staging from Angelika. She outdid Napoli for this type of song in my mind. Even if her English was questionable at times she really performed the hell out of it. Never really a threat to win but a better song than the last time she got through the National Final in 2017. If her songs keep getting better than hopefully she will get to Eurovision one day. I know from interviews she's a big fan of ESC in general.

9. Darya Khmelnitskaya - On Fire

Why is she dressed or an archery meet-up? This is just such a forgettable so tbh. Maybe better than Hello I guess and it had interesting triangle patterns in the background.

10. АURА - Barani svajo

Not as strong as Čaravala and not as anthemic as maybe one would like it to be but still good. The pipes guy off to side created a real folk atmosphere. Glad to see her again singing not in English. Clearly it suits her. I must say her backing singers were fantastic. The jury completely destroyed any chances of it winning though. I thought this would win because of the Lukashenko connection but Aura will have to now wait another year.

11. KeySi - Chili Pepper

Her backings dancers stole visors from Samanta Tina. :O Nice staging and graphics but this was complete a cheap trashy song. The only words I could understand she was consistently saying were Chili Pepper. She really didn't have the charisma to pull off a song like this in my view. With all that said this was more memorable than a few others tonight so it improved marginally live for me.

12. VАL - Da vidna

Yay! Another song in Belarusian at ESC. Congrats to all the VAL supporters. If I put my aside my sadness of CHAKRAS not winning this was the best alternative. Very groovy-dnce track vibe to Da vidna. Valeryja was on point for the whole 3 minutes and you can't help but notice that hairstyle. I think this is borderline on the wrong side at the moment of qualification. Will most likely be in my top 10 of semi though. Good sign though it was 2nd for. both jury and viewers.

Rankings didn't change much from the live show.

:by: Nationalny Otbor 2020
01. CHAKRAS - La-ley-la
02. VAL - Da vidna
03. AURA - Barani svajo
04. Angelika Pushnоva - True Love
05. Nastya Glamozda - Burning Again
06. Anastasiya Malashkevich - Invisible
07. Yan Yarosh - Fire
08. Sasha Zakharik - Rocky Road
09. NAPOLI - Don't Let Me Down
10. KeySi - Chili Pepper
11. Anastasiya Razvadоvskaya - Hello
12. Darya Khmelnitskaya - On Fire

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I haven't been back to this track since the NF and had a laugh this morning when I did, which is actually worth something to me. It's basically Kelly Osborne in a bead wig singing a lifeless version of my dear favourite song from Slovenia's 2019 selection that flopped itself to a nice last place.

The whole routine they've got going on for Da Vidna is just so awkward. The super camp dancer and all the constant exotic hand swirls and strange symbols. I love going into the first chorus as the camera lands on an over enthusiastic VAL fan, phone clutched in hand to capture the moment as she euphorically mouths "Da vidna. Da vidna". I love the little puff of smoke that celebrates our girl VAL triumphantly strutting forward to that final chorus. DA VIDNAAA DA VIDNAAA. I think we've officially found 2020's troll hit. It will be required that I stan here in some sort of way so my apologies in advance. It appears I love Belarus after all. It's just Belarus doesn't love itself.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

LastDreamer

Banned
@EscGeek Did you watch this performance from 2017 pre-selection ?

MooseShoes

A boy-girl / man-woman (whichever you prefer) duo, he's seen with a keyboard and a guitar, both dressed in black, looking happy and dancing around a bit... They are like the Belarusian anti-Zalagasper, aren't they?

(I say this as someone who loves Zalagasper and enjoyed this too.)

Anyway, pleasant enough so :7:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Looking at the current betting odds where the favourite is now Iceland(!?), who have just taken the spot from Lithuania, CHAKRAS absolutely could have been up there too. Their music video that was only released four days ago already has a big amount of views (like six times that of Da Vidna), and the song was polarising in just the right way. Either it's "wtf is this?" or "oh my gosh, this is the best thing ever". That's the kind of reaction that you want. Gosh, such a wasted opportunity. At least I know I'll warm to VAL's cute song, but it's frustrating. We've got enough songs and knowledge at this point now to know this is going to be a struggler in Semi 2. You had to go all out if you wanted the final. Baffling decision to turn down CHAKRAS after that performance.

Mrm

Veteran
Looking at the current betting odds where the favourite is now Iceland(!?), who have just taken the spot from Lithuania, CHAKRAS absolutely could have been up there too. Their music video that was only released four days ago already has a big amount of views (like six times that of Da Vidna), and the song was polarising in just the right way. Either it's "wtf is this?" or "oh my gosh, this is the best thing ever". That's the kind of reaction that you want. Gosh, such a wasted opportunity. At least I know I'll warm to VAL's cute song, but it's frustrating. We've got enough songs and knowledge at this point now to know this is going to be a struggler in Semi 2. You had to go all out if you wanted the final. Baffling decision to turn down CHAKRAS after that performance.

You are so, so, so sooooooooooooo right, that it hurts and I want you to stoooop! xcry

Kairit

The live performance could be elevated, though it's competent enough already. (Zena's performance last year made me weak. Absolutely my favourite performance from last year's Eurovision, that's hard to follow) But I really like the studio version actually. I love the chorus, because it goes in a different direction than what you might expect. This is exactly the kind of Eastern European electro-pop I really like, the Chill Bop, effortlessly cool and hot without being over the top.

hijirio

Veteran
I am a sucker for cheap songs, but this one sounds so desparate for attempting to look and sound expensive while being extremely cheap in the essence. It's definitely not the worst song this year, but I lowkey despise it for being so fake and uninspiring.
And the fact that she won over Chakras is beyond me. I'm very genorous this year, but this is a 4 from me.

hijirio

Veteran

Omg this is heartbreaking. We will never forgive. All the Belarussian citizens should march towards BNT's headquarters in Minsk and riot.

vavera4ka

ok, i'm kinda angry for jury killing Chakras... but I accept it if only because I loved the new format. It seemed so much more fair and averaged out. plus the production value increased tenfold.
Unless KGB kidnapped the loved ones of the juries and requested them to pimp the two songs that have no chance in getting much from televote in order to sink Chakras, it's just a matter of questionable taste... which... happens... a good enough song won. a safer choice, for sure...
Organization was on point though... I want this to happen every year.

Top Bottom