Contact us

Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics

ShoeFlo

GOLD for :de: in Women's Team Sprint in Cross Country xbow xbow xbow

The biggest sensation for our Olympic team so far :D

And I have to apologize for not trusting our cross country squad to win any medal... cause this is already their second :D

GermanBango

What a sensational race by our cross country girls! Gold! Who would have thought?

esc87fan

Team :ca: update

Speed skating: Gold in the men's 5000m short track relay. Steven Dubois gets his third medal of the Games, while Charles Hamelin becomes the most decorated Canadian Winter Olympian in his final race
Men's curling: Canada clinched a playoff spot ahead of its final round-robin game against Great Britain
Women's curling: Split day with a win against the United States and an extra end loss against China. Final round-robin game is against Denmark

UPDATE: The men's hockey team was unfortunately eliminated in the quarterfinals, losing 2-0 to Sweden

Last edited:

esc87fan

Today's Team :ca: recap:

* Canada won the gold medal in women's hockey, defeating the US 3-2. Marie-Philip Poulin scored twice and Sarah Nurse added the third
* Marielle Thompson won silver in women's ski cross
* The men's curling team fell to Sweden in the semifinal and will play for bronze against the US

GermanBango

So I guess Germany is heading towards 12 gold medals and something like 26-28 medals overall. That’d be pretty decent and only a very minor decrease compared to 2018. It’s gonna be interesting to see whether we‘ll stay on two in the medal table - the USA might still overtake us.

esc87fan

TWO Canadians on the podium in women's halfpipe in freestyle skiing! Cassie Sharpe took silver and Rachael Karker took bronze!

esc87fan

Two more medals for :ca: overnight:

Laurent Dubreuil won silver in men's long track 1000m in speed skating, while the men's curling team took the bronze winning 8-5 over the US

ShoeFlo

Two more medals for Team :de: , both in Bob: Gold for Laura Nolte (xlove) and Silver for Mariama Jamanka in 2-Womens final

Tomorrow we will probably win two more medals in the 4-men Bob Final. After two races Friedrich is on the 1st and Lochner on the 2nd place.

I also hope we can win a surprise medal in the Alpine team event that was postponed to the upcoming night.

esc87fan

Ivanie Blondin won silver in the women's long track mass start in speed skating last night. We could have one more medal chance in the 4-man bobsleigh as Justin Kripps' sled is currently in the bronze medal position going into the final 2 runs

GermanBango

Yeeeehaaaaw it`s prediction time xclap

Team :de: prediction by sports

Alpine Skiing (0-2 medals)

Tough one. Seems like the conditions are veeeeery much windy up there so who knows. Guess the Germans are most likely to snatch a medal in the Team Event. Then again they were surprisingly strong at last year`s world championships.
Contenders: Kira Weidle (Downhill), Romed Baumann (Downhill), Mixed Team (Slalom Team Event), Lena Dürr (Slalom) and Linuß Strasser (Slalom)

Biathlon (0-2 medals)

My heart is bleeding as biathlon is by far my favorite sport to watch but ... the Germans (especially) the women are just not good enough atm to snatch medals en masse. I do think that the guys will get at least one medal somewhere though. Fingers crossed.
Contenders: Benedikt Doll and the Men Relay

Bobsleigh (4-6 medals)
Well not much to say here.Gotta get those medals somewhere, right? Srsly though I wouldn`t be completely shocked if they actually won all 4 golds. Well ... probably not the monobob one but ...we shall see.
Contenders: All of them really

Cross-Country Skiing (0-1 medals)
Basically impossible to win a medal here considering the Scandinavian/Russian domination. IF at all I`d say Katharina Hennig has a shot at bronze in the 10km classic race. But I would be very surprised tbh.
Contenders: Katharina Hennig (10 km)

Ice Hockey (0-1 medals)
I`m down for another upset silver guys but it´s close to impossible to recreate that.

Luge (4-6 medals)
Medals guaranteed basically. Anything but at least three golds would be a massive surprise to me. Gotta admit that the men were pretty meh in the training runs though. The women might even win all three medals and the doubles could very well win two. As for the team ... gold pls.

Nordic Combined (1-3 medals)
I mean ... it`s not gonna be as good as it was four years ago, that´s for sure. The Germans are just too inconsistent on the hills. They will win a medal in the Team Relay 99% ... probably not gold though as I expect the Austrians to have a massive lead after the jumping.

Skeleton (1-3 medals)
Not much to say. Women and men are all more than capable of winning medals, golden ones even.

Ski Jumping (2-5 medals)
This one`s a big ? for me. I am certain that they will win medals in the Team and Mixed Team events. Other than that ... phew idk. Katharina Althaus seems poised to win the first German medal at these Olympics but then again ... there are soooo many strong Slovenes. As for the guys ... well a few days ago I would have said two medals here are likely but they do seem to have their issues with the regular hill.
Contenders: Katharina Althaus, Karl Geiger, Markus Eisenbichler as well as the Mixed and Men Team

Snowboarding (1-3 medals)
I expect strong competitions from the male crossers and the male as well as the female giantslalom boarders.
Contenders: Ramona Hofmeister (GS), Stefan Baumeister (GS), Martin Nörl (Cross), Paul Berg (Cross)

Definitely no medals in Curling, Figure Skating, Speed Skating, Short Track and Freestyle Skiing

Overall prediction:
23-30 medals (With 7-11 golds)

And that`s a wrap. Let`s have a look at the actual performance of Team Germany.

Alpine Skiing
Prediction: 0-2 medals // Result: 0-1-0 = 1
They did good but not great. Especially the forth places by Lena Dürr (Slalom) and Kira Weidle (Downhill) were really unfortunate. The men however did kinda disappoint. Overall it`s a better result than in 2018 were they didn`t win a single medal though there was potential for more.

Biathlon
Prediction: 0-2 medals // Result: 1-0-1 = 2
Well they did what was possible considering the massive dominance by :no: and :fr: , I guess. It came as a massive surprise that it was the women who won both medals while the men didn`t win a single one (for the first time in 10 years). Denise Herrmann`s gold was probably one of my overall highlights of these OWG. They have a lot of work to do if they want to be up there again, that`s for sure.

Bobsleigh
Prediction: 4-6 medals // Result: 3-3-1 = 7
One word: dominance. Not much to add here - they were the overwhelming favs and man they did deliver. The monobob competition ended up being the only small disappointment but hey, the Germans won 7 out of 12 medals so.

Cross-Country Skiing
Prediction: 0-1 medals // Result: 1-1-0 = 2
I am really happy that our women are competitive again and won the first cc medals for Germany since 2014 (first gold since 2010 even). They steadily got better over the past few years so it`s great that their hard work did pay off already. I think it`s safe to say that they exceeded all expectations.

Freestyle Skiing
Prediction: 0 medals // Result: 0-0-1 = 1
An unexpected surprise for sure BUT it`s really apparent that we are really far behind the top here.

Ice Hockey
Prediction: 0-1 medals // Result: 0
Can`t say that I am surprised. 2018 was probably a once-in-a-lifetime-thing.

Luge
Prediction: 4-6 medals // Result: 4-2-0 = 6
They rocked the track without any doubt. Back to winning all the golds after missing out on one of them in 2018. The German team won 6 out of 9 possible medals so there is really nothing to criticize here.

Nordic Combined
Prediction: 1-3 medals // Result: 1-1-0 = 2
I don`t want to talk about a disappointment here (although they obvs won 5 medals and all the golds in 2018). They did what they could this year. If only they would be a little better on the hill.

Skeleton
Prediction: 1-3 medals // Result: 2-1-0 = 3
We should really propose to move all competitions to the sliding track haha. The men won their first ever skeleton medals for Germany in the OWG and it was also the first time that a German won gold here. They were really great which even took me by surprise.

Ski Jumping
Prediction: 2-5 medals // Result: 0-1-2 = 3
Hmmm considering how strong the male jumpers were this season the result is a bit of a letdown tbh. Then again the ski jumping competitions at these OWG were a big fat joke full of riggory so ... maybe they did the best out of the shitty situation.

Snowboarding
Prediction: 1-3 medals // Result: 0
The only real disappointment.

Overall
Prediction: 23-30 medals with 7-11 golds // Result: 12-10-5 = 27
Overall the team did really good. It`s great to see almost all of them being able to bring their A-game during these OWG. I doubt that anyone would have dreamed of 12 German Olympic champions this year and 27 medals in total is only a slight decline compared to 2018 (31). I am happy that the German team was able to defend the second place in the medal table.

As for the games: Let`s just say I am relieved that the next few editions are gonna be held in (mostly) democratic states.

ESC94

I think the German team can be proud, at the beginning I was a bit scared that we´ll head towards another Sochi 2014 situation but it got steadily better. We were bit unlucky in some sports, especially Alpine Skiing, but we got some surpise medals like in Cross Country Skiing, so overall it´s not bad. :)

Last edited:

heke1988

Today we won our first olympic gold medal on Men's icehockey! Although it would have been moore satisfying won with NHL-players, I am glad of this gold medal. And finally we got ice hockey player, who has won both Stanley Cup and olympic gold (Valtteri Filppula)

Also today Kerttu Niskanen won bronze medal on Women's Cross-County Skiing Free 30km.

We got 2 gold medals, 2 silver medals and 4 bronze medal. These medals came 2 sports (Ice hockey and Cross-County Skiing). Hopefully we would get medals several sports in Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo.

GermanBango

There is one more thing that I`d like to say...
Once again "the West" showed that certain kind of hypocrisy that just makes me wanna barf. Yes the human rights situation in China is in all regards abysmal and that is definitely something that needs to be talked about (and changed). Then again Europe and the USA played a big part in the rise of Chinese communism. Over hundreds of years "we" tried to force our own views and morals onto other countries (especially in Asia and Africa). Now we are the ones that scream the loudest about injustice and try to lecture other cultures. It just rubes me the wrong way. Maybe we should sort out or own shit first. Especially looking at the USA who are still seen as some kind of democratic messiah when at home they still systematically oppress minorities (just look at how hard it is to vote for them in some states), have police brutality en mass going on, still sentence people to death in some states AND allow atrocities like conversion therapy on LGBTQ youth.
The world would truly be a better place if everyone would finally live by the standards they are judging others by.

Last edited:

esc87fan

Canada's final medal haul :ca:

Gold: 4
  • Max Parrot: Men's snowboard slopestyle
  • Women's long track team pursuit (Ivanie Blondin, Isabelle Weidemann, Valerie Maltais)
  • Men's short track 5000m relay (Pascal Dion, Steven Dubois, Jordan Pierre-Gilles, Charles Hamelin, Maxime Laoun)
  • Women's hockey team
Silver: 8
  • Mikael Kingsbury: Men's moguls
  • Steven Dubois: Men's short track 1500m
  • Éliot Grondin: Men's snowboard cross
  • Isabelle Weidemann: Women's long track 5000m
  • Marielle Thompson: Women's ski cross
  • Cassie Sharpe: Women's ski halfpipe
  • Laurent Dubreuil: Men's long track 1000m
  • Ivanie Blondin: Women's long track mass start
Bronze: 14
  • Isabelle Weidemann: Women's long track 3000m
  • Kim Boutin: Women's short track 500m
  • Mixed team ski jumping (Mackenzie Boyd-Clows, Alexandra Loutitt, Matthew Soukup, Abigail Strate)
  • Mark McMorris: Men's snowboard slopestyle
  • Meryeta O'Dine: Women's snowboard cross
  • James Crawford: Men's alpine combined
  • Mixed team aerials (Miha Fontaine, Lewis Irving, Manon Thériault)
  • Mixed team snowboard cross (Meryeta O'Dine and Éliot Grondin)
  • Steven Dubois: Men's short track 500m
  • Christine de Bruin: Women's monobob
  • Max Parrot: Men's snowboard big air
  • Rachael Karker: Women's ski halfpipe
  • Men's curling (Brad Gushue, Mark Nichols, Brett Gallant, Geoff Walker, Marc Kennedy)
  • Men's 4-man bobsleigh (Justin Kripps, Ben Coakwell, Ryan Sommer, Cam Stones)

Top Bottom