Contact us

Barbara Dex Award

FilipFromSweden

NINTCHDBPICT000653350125-1.jpg

The puffy clown blouse. The Simon Cowell trousers a few sizes too big. The giant white Lego shoes. I usually don't care what people wear but combine all of this with the extreme pomp of Gjon's performance and I was actually triggered. I feel that the styling here hindered him to an extent with the public support he received.
Believe it or not, having oversized/loose pants is trendy right now apparently and having skinny/tight pants is out, according to gen z

musicfan

also surprises me nobody thought Italy's outfits were terrible enough to mention, especially the singer....
The-winner-of-the-Eurovision-Song-Contest-is-Maneskin-Group-1024x575.jpeg
I agree on this. I think it's because part of their appeal is that they are apparently considered attractive, particulary the lead singer, not saying that's my opinion.

midnightsun

Veteran
I agree on this. I think it's because part of their appeal is that they are apparently considered attractive, particulary the lead singer, not saying that's my opinion.
I have to admit I am not particularly fond of the outfits. The suits were really PRETTY and they looked SO GOOD in them.

Lance Esgard

I can see Italy getting the Barbara Dex award, but for me in the context of their performance it wasn't the most notable/remarkable look of Eurovision. They had an androgynous punk look that to me very much fits with their song and their presentation as an act that had a confrontational edge where traditional boundaries were concerned, even if you didn't understand the lyrics. It does look weird but it never bothered me during their performance itself, unlike some other costume choices.

But of course, part of the beauty of the Barbara Dex Award is that we are free to interpret what criteria is involved in our own ways.

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Voted Croatia.

Albina, gurl, why the hell did you change those gorgeous DORA outfits? xcry

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I really liked Italy's outfits too. They looked like they were dressed for a carnival from a twisted Rob Zombie movie. I thought it was a fitting look for their song.

Shadowfuxcs

Italy's best outfits were at the San Remo semi final (is that how it's called?). Suits like the ones they wore at the red carpet would have also been better. But I didn't mind these outfits in terms of the performance and they are on brand with their act. They do look bad though if you see them out of context.
Switzerland's outfit needed some adjustments, I would have liked to see it with silver and tighter pants and the sleeves of the shirt might have looked better if they were not puffy. Apart from that the shirt looked good on camera and definitely doesn't deserve Barbara Dex. Gjon has a conventionally considered "womanly" silhouette and probably it throws people off when he wears fitted clothes because it's not like the in your face/"cool" androgyny of Maneskin.

Lance Esgard

I personally saw Gjon's styling as reflecting a kind of out-of-body experience of some other surreal or dreamlike experience and so in context it at least worked for me. The shirt reflected the LED background. Yes, it is a look that won't work for everyone and is not the most natural fit, but the same can be said about his staging as a whole.

Remisan

For Tix. I know that this is his comfortable image, but objectively ... :LOL:

If Malta hadn't changed clothes, I would have been for Malta.But she changed.
By the way, she has a successful hairstyle and makeup at the finals, which did not add extra age to her.

Iker

Veteran
So who won the real Barbara Dex award? Is it still in front of us?

Lance Esgard

UK and Israel round up the top five.

I guess people voted for Tix because they thought the sunglasses and the headband together with the wings was particularly remarkable. It makes me wonder how many people understood why Tix wears what he does and how many never really got it.

Top Bottom