Mata Hari​

Last edited by a moderator:

hijirio

Veteran
Last edited:

Iker

Veteran
What is your favourite entry from :az:?

For me 2019 (Chingiz - Truth). Albeit :az: last year was fantastic too (but I cannot count it as we didn't see it performed lived at the ESC) and now is pretty good too.

Last edited:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
It's becoming more and more clear that Azerbaijan is heading towards a great televote result, because this entry goes beyond the borders of the fandom. It's one of the performances I'm the most excited about.

hungo

thats a very cheap song that will do quite well in the televote. but the juries will not give a lot of points for this.

Iker

Veteran
2009 xheat best Azerbaijan entry and should have won
It was ridiculously catchy, but also too repetitive IIRC - overall still felt like a blast. Not my winner, but in my top 10 for sure. One of many good entries from this country.

And it is ironic how one of my least entries of :az: ended up as a sole winner for them in 2011 and that victory still kinda seems fishy to me whenever I think about it.
But this was also altogether my least favourite Eurovision ever since I started following the contest in 2003. Marred by technical issues and full of bad or mediocre entries.

Last edited:

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
Not going to stop to say what i think about Azerbaijan win - in 2011 i had no idea about going read forums, sites, odds etc i just watched live shows and in the final Azerbaijan looked like winner performance with all this gold rain and such (back then it was a trend in Eurovision) so when they were leading i wasnt even a bit surprising. İtaly being high was much more shock for me as i didnt like their come back entry at all

ESC94

I have to admit that "Cleopatra" was the very first entry from :az: I kinda liked, so I had hopes that I would also like Efendis new song. Well, sadly I´m pretty disappointed to be honest. :confused:

For me "Mata Hari" sounds like the B-Side of "Cleopatra", the verses are kinda boring for me and sadly her voice sounds pretty unpleasant and like a goat at some points. The chorus only consists of the title and is pretty repetitive, but the worst part for me is when the melody becomes faster and faster til the end, it sounds like the producers wanted to make a longer song and then noticed that only three minutes are allowed, so they played the melody really fast, like a broken casette player.

All in all I can only give :3: to :az:, it´s not a disaster but I don´t feel any desire to listen to this song again to be honest. xshrug

hijirio

Veteran
I have to agree with @Trece
look what they did with Chingiz-Truth, now they have a song with even more staging potential.
I don't know if Turks in Europe are still interested in ESC, but if they are by any chance, they will eat this up.
It even has a sample melody that every Turk recognizes immediately.

Oh and, I have one more video for y'all xd

empo21

Veteran
I agree with Trece

I wasn't into Eurovision back then and I happened to catch Eurovision 2011 and being a casual eurovision fan back then, Running Scared seemed like a solid winning entry. It was only a few years later when I found out how disliked it is online.

Anyway

MA MA MATA HARI *halay sounds*

Preuss

Start A Fire is Azerbaijan’s entry, so of course it was the one who ended their top ten/five streak... still mad that it didn’t do better but it fell flat live... it looked and sounded so good during rehearsal though

MAD20

In my opinion the best songs Azerbaijan has sent are 2009, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2019 and 2020. And by far the worst 2016, I couldn't stand that song and never understood how it managed to qualify and not Iceland for example.

Ezio

Veteran
My favourite Azeri song is from 2008, and then 2018, 2013 and 2019. Usually, I don't like their entries, because they are generic with terribly enunciated English. This year their song is cheap af and the lyrics are awful. I guess there is high chance they won't make it to final this time. X My Heart was catchier and more likeable.

empo21

Veteran
Was singing Mata Hari in my head today all day.

Draw between Romania and Ukraine seems like a nice contrast.

Top Bottom