escYOUnited

Administrator
Azerbaijan-scaled.jpg

Romeo

Justice For Cleopatra

I can't believe that masterpiece won't take part in Eurovision xangry

crashworld

Veteran
^LOL! What exactly is the point of that performance? Did the studio not have the capabilities to enable artists to perform with 'live' vocals?

FRFanESC

Where on earth is this live ? This is exactly the studio version, even the comments below the video say the same, where did your ears go ?

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
^LOL! What exactly is the point of that performance? Did the studio not have the capabilities to enable artists to perform with 'live' vocals?
it's the standard of most of azeri performances i've watched :p not only from her, but also from other competent azeri esc representatives

Uto

Veteran
Where on earth is this live ? This is exactly the studio version, even the comments below the video say the same, where did your ears go ?
Well of course it's the studio version, they are in a TV studio right? It's 100% live, believe me. Frankly, I don't think you know what 100% live even means. Luckily for you a couple of forum members recently collected a number of 100% live songs for you to peruse here: 100% LIVE

FRFanESC

Well of course it's the studio version, they are in a TV studio right? It's 100% live, believe me. Frankly, I don't think you know what 100% live even means. Luckily for you a couple of forum members recently collected a number of 100% live songs for you to peruse here: 100% LIVE
So she's lip-synching and doesn't even have a micro, she's just doing some gesture and y'all are calling that a 100% live ? But what's live in this performance ? Her body ? Lmao.
édit : It is ironic I guess ?

Yoozek

So she's lip-synching and doesn't even have a micro, she's just doing some gesture and y'all are calling that a 100% live ? But what's live in this performance ? Her body ? Lmao.
édit : It is ironic I guess ?

It's in 144p. What would you expect from that :D
Put that on Superbowl stage and LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

tenor.gif

tuorem

My review:

AZERBAIJAN 2020 - Efendi - Cleopatra: "oh well..."

I will get scolded and put to the torch for pronouncing inanities, but I'm part of the minority that doesn't like "Cleopatra". I totally see why people support it and the lack of crazy/uptempo acts this edition also played a part in its popularity; personally I can't connect to it.

Composition-wise, neither the verses nor the chorus I get into, the former because it's kind of tame to me and the latter because one repeated sentence and a series of "lalalas" aren't enough in this instance. Energy-wise, I don't feel it either. I love me some noisy entry (I'm Still Breathing, KAOS, Viszlát nyár,...), but that one isn't my kind of noisy sadly. With that being said, my highlights are the short instrumental bridge as well as the iconic pre-choruses "and it sounds like this... Nyomnyomiomomayi". I wish the rest were as fancy actually. Since Azerbaijan is regularly among my faves, it's no wonder "Cleopatra" is near the bottom with their debut song and "Running Scared" as I rarely dislike what they offer.

My only regret about this effort is that we won't see it on stage, because Azerbaijanis know their business and this song demanded some over-the-top staging.

Prediction-wise, it was a no-brainer: qualification and a possible placing on the left side of the scoreboard imo. People would have eaten that up surely.

On a selfish note, I'm glad Efendi will be back but with another song. I like her for some reason, so I'd be happy to support her in 2021. And please no non-descript entry like their alleged second option "Scars into Stars" (that title...), thank you in advance!

tuorem

@tuorem

Thank you for your detailled posts about this years entries. I´ll probably disagree with you on some songs, but it´s still interesting to read your thoughts. :D

Thank you for your kind words dear! xheart

Yes, you will disagree with me I assure you, because I was disappointed by the overall lineup this edition. :LOL: I'm just putting my random opinions out there so that I can finally make a personal ranking. Thank you for reading!

crashworld

Veteran

Sis singing "Cleopatra" "live" at The Voice Kids in Azerbaijan. It's REALLY "live" and she sounds good.

Milos-BC

I liked the "story" behind the song much more than the song itself. A good attempt, but :az: had better ones.

5 points.

niklititli

Azerbaijan are the ones under the spotlight now - make sure to vote in our poll for the best entry of the 2010s!

mobdro

Last edited:
Top Bottom