10 6.3%

11 6.9%

4 2.5%

4 2.5%

1 0.6%

9 5.7%

• Total voters

Alaska49

of all the not-for-the-charts azerbaijan entries to actually make it back to the top 10, it was... this one? and not dihaj? fine, i guess. i'm not mad but i'm not overjoyed either.

hijirio

Veteran
I usually refrain from comparing songs from different years. That was then, now is now. Dihaj deserved to win the contest in any year she participated. Maybe it was too early for its time. It's still on my playlist after 2 years.

crashworld

Veteran
The song actually did pretty well post-competition chart wise, so there is definitely an appeal to the wider audience. I still think people have slept on Azerbaijan this year.

Milos-BC

Glad to see :az: back in the top 10, both the song and the staging deserved it xup Well done.

Preuss

I just wanted to personally congratulate you for being so amazing this decade, Azerbaijan xlove
No seriously your entries just tick all the boxes for me and I've always had your entries close to my top going into Eurovision, although how I rate your entries might have changed after the actual performance or contest. I can confidently say that I wouldn't mind putting all your entries except from 2008 on repeat on my Spotify-list xmusic
I was so hyped for Samra for some reason lol xheat

Anyway Dilara and Sabina are like some of my all time Eurovision favs xheat

Citelis

For some reason i liked mostly the less succesful entries from Azerbaijan this decade like''Miracle'', ''X my heart'' and ''Skeletons''. I disliked ''Running scared'', ''Truth'', ''Hold me'' since the beggining but overrall i think that Azerbaijan had good entries.

Preuss

For some reason i liked mostly the less succesful entries from Azerbaijan this decade like''Miracle'', ''X my heart'' and ''Skeletons''. I disliked ''Running scared'', ''Truth'', ''Hold me'' since the beggining but overrall i think that Azerbaijan had good entries.

Yes like personally I still rate Skeletons and Miracle above for example over Running Scared and Hold Me
Running Scared is for me still a song I could listen to on my phone although it's been off for years after I listened to it a lot after it won and before it won
"Start A Fire" was obviously amazing but of course had to be the first ever Azerbaijani entry outside of the top 10 :(

Bakinka

I just wanted to personally congratulate you for being so amazing this decade, Azerbaijan xlove

Thanks a lot, Preuss!
Eurovision is very important for Azerbaijan, and :az: is very serious about our entries, but I hope that in the future Azerbaijan will present mostly their own products in order to close familiarise Europe with the amazing Azerbaijani musical culture.

There are many talented composers in Azerbaijan such as Isa Melikov (Skeletons)., Eldar Mansurov, Vagif Gerayzade, Govhar Hesenzade (Day afrer day) etc.
I think their music would have liked in Europe.
The new ITV management have to think about it)))

Brandt

but I hope that in the future Azerbaijan will present mostly their own products in order to close familiarise Europe with the amazing Azerbaijani musical culture.

Well, I don't really mind what Azerbaijan's doing for the time being. Eurovision has never been about promoting different cultures, but its ultimate goal has always been about uniting and having fun together (after WW2). So the entries being modern and away from the cultural aspect has never bothered me in particular. Furthermore many Azerbaijani entries have been great for my taste. Azerbaijan has an identity in the Eurovision song contest and I appreciate it for what it is. :D I would suggest you to keep going just the way you do.

Bakinka

Well, I don't really mind what Azerbaijan's doing for the time being. Eurovision has never been about promoting different cultures, but its ultimate goal has always been about uniting and having fun together (after WW2). So the entries being modern and away from the cultural aspect has never bothered me in particular. Furthermore many Azerbaijani entries have been great for my taste. Azerbaijan has an identity in the Eurovision song contest and I appreciate it for what it is. :D I would suggest you to keep going just the way you do.

I agree with you. But I think that all this can be combined with each other)

Ezio

Veteran
I think Symphonix with a hint of Azerbaijani culture suits them better than Swedish rejects.

Preuss

Thanks a lot, Preuss!
Eurovision is very important for Azerbaijan, and :az: is very serious about our entries, but I hope that in the future Azerbaijan will present mostly their own products in order to close familiarise Europe with the amazing Azerbaijani musical culture.

There are many talented composers in Azerbaijan such as Isa Melikov (Skeletons)., Eldar Mansurov, Vagif Gerayzade, Govhar Hesenzade (Day afrer day) etc.
I think their music would have liked in Europe.
The new ITV management have to think about it)))

Well you have shown your national instrument balaban and Chingiz did something ethnic this year in his live performance xcheer
As I pointed out, my biggest dream would be to send something like Sabina or Dilara again xlove

musicfan

Eurovision has never been about promoting different cultures

I don't really agree because even different languages in the past helped represent different cultures. However I have enjoyed some Azerbaijani entries a lot in the past even if they were in English. Though the one this year didn't impress me. I also don't agree, as someone else may have suggested, that just because a songwriter (or maybe co-songwriter often) is Swedish means it's just a Melodifestivalen reject. I'll look at songs on a case by case basis. Melodifestivalen is overrated to me anyway.

Brandt

I don't really agree because even different languages in the past helped represent different cultures.

The countries may have used Eurovision as a platform to promote their culture, yes. But the idea of Eurovision has nothing to do with that goal. You may want to wiki it for more information if you are interested.

musicfan

The countries may have used Eurovision as a platform to promote their culture, yes. But the idea of Eurovision has nothing to do with that goal. You may want to wiki it for more information if you are interested.

The official reason for it starting may not have been, but that wasn't my point, I was talking about the reality of how it was run (and cultures doesn't have to mean political countries). There's also the aspect of it being hosted in different places as well. I also think the political aspect of Eurovision over the years has been overplayed unnecessarily, it would have been better to look at it as a song contest of different cultures. The reality, that always gets sidelined with all the country flags, is that broadcasters are actually sending songs to Eurovision and broadcasters are hosting the event. And these often have not directly represented governments. And of course within a country you can have different cultures. Some places have definitely looked at it more politically (and in some narrow sense that appeals to them), in particular those towards the Eastern side of the Eurovision region. I wonder if one of the reasons some are annoyed about the Australian region entering is because there isn't any obvious political reason, it's simply another broadcaster entering because they have shown Eurovision for years and are members of the Eurovision broadcasting club. It's even less about Europe than it already was.

musicfan

You actually didn't just make one point, one point you made was what you considered the ultimate goal of Eurovision to be at the start and another point was that it was never about promoting different cultures. And obviously I don't have to be restricted to what points I bring up anyway.

Top Bottom