Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

hungo

I still can't ignore the fact that one of the coolest parts of the song - the "mio padre" part - is 1:1 the hook of Dua Lipa's 'New Rules'.
I was listening to Dua Lipas song but I really could not find a part that sounds like the mio padre part. can you help me?

Ezio

Veteran
Yeah, I know New Rules by heart and there 's zero resemblance

jatojo

I was listening to Dua Lipas song but I really could not find a part that sounds like the mio padre part. can you help me?
"I got new rules, I count 'em" = 1:28 in Who The Hell Is Edgar

Lindon

I still can't ignore the fact that one of the coolest parts of the song - the "mio padre" part - is 1:1 the hook of Dua Lipa's 'New Rules'.
I guess this game we could play with any song. Listen to the first 47 sec of Pont Aeri "Flying Free" and Loreen's song.

jatojo

I guess this game we could play with any song. Listen to the first 47 sec of Pont Aeri "Flying Free" and Loreen's song.

One copy/paste doesn't justify the next.

However, there is a difference: In your case, it's an almost unknown song, whereas Dua Lipa's song is one of the biggest hits in the world in recent years. And when you look at what needs to be credited and paid for in songs in the US for instance, you'll realize that 6-7 identical notes in succession would be critical there.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Lol, let me discredit Heroes again please. May I?

MAD20

I've been playing this song to some friends and family and literally everyone adores it as much as I do. Unless they mess up with staging or vocals, this has a granted place in the final. I wouldn't care Austria winning with this song, it's fun, catchy as hell and the message is powerful for the music industry. It's my 2nd place right now xdance2

It's cool to see Austria taking this risks after some disappointing years (Halo was great in studio version), this somehow made me miss a lot the cool times when I used to live in Vienna.

Ezio

Veteran

moop

first impression, this is pure quality, giving it a ten, having a hard time beliving it can deliver live though.

edit, after listening to it a few more times, its a 12. its fun unique and i love it.

second edit, yup im convinced this entry will sound like shit live. might just be the coolest pre recorded song this year.

Last edited:

jatojo

How much weaker than your Dua Lipa comparison is it?
I have a note progression of 6-7 notes, as mentioned above.

I may have missed something in David Guetta's song, and Heroes is a rather old song, but I can't find the 6-7 identical notes in those two songs.

I'm not critical towards songs that only "sound" similar to other songs. The note progression needs to be 1:1.

MooseShoes

Okay, Music Nerd here to clear up what @jatojo is talking about. The ooooooohhhh in the background vocals in the final part of the song is the same sequence of notes as when Dua Lipa sings "I got new rules, I count them." On a minor scale the seqeuence is 1-2-3-5-3-2-1.

I have absolutely no idea of how the whole legal area works and no intention of delving into it. As a musician, in this case, I'd cite it as a mere coincidence for various reasons:

1. The rhythm is slightly different.
2. It's a backing vocal, not the main melody.
3. The chords accompanying are different, giving it quite a different overall sound.

Sorry about the long-winded, nerdy post. In my own, personal opinion, it's much less ridiculous to suggest that the following two songs were blended together in a sterile Swedish pop-lab to create Tattoo:

hungo

Okay, Music Nerd here to clear up what @jatojo is talking about. The ooooooohhhh in the background vocals in the final part of the song is the same sequence of notes as when Dua Lipa sings "I got new rules, I count them." On a minor scale the seqeuence is 1-2-3-5-3-2-1.

I have absolutely no idea of how the whole legal area works and no intention of delving into it. As a musician, in this case, I'd cite it as a mere coincidence for various reasons:

1. The rhythm is slightly different.
2. It's a backing vocal, not the main melody.
3. The chords accompanying are different, giving it quite a different overall sound.

Sorry about the long-winded, nerdy post. In my own, personal opinion, it's much less ridiculous to suggest that the following two songs were blended together in a sterile Swedish pop-lab to create Tattoo:

Ok, thanks. Now I understand. Then we can forget about it. I thought my ears have some serious problem :D

Top Bottom