Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezio

Veteran
Even with a good Running Order this was never going to get more than 25 Televotes.

FxYdbzlagAUUVGf
Bullshit! I just posted a video of biggest Final losers and almost all of them had the dubious honor of performing early or opening the show! Sweden’s La Voix is one of the biggest all-time losers. And Israel 2017 and Czechia 2022, we all know their reversed luck!

starting first means, people forget the song or people miss the song completely. Also the song has no chance from popping out amongst other song. Recency bias is real. It could be mitigated with voting breaks of 5 minutes after every 8 songs or so.

We know you hate Austria and love juries, Sweden and the EBU. and just because Germany crash landed starting as 21st doesn’t mean, we would have. Already your tabulation shows that Austria missed out on televoting points narrowly a lot and was not a power bottom at all. A 15th place in Ireland could have been an 8th place with a better running order. in a Top 20 scoring system we would have gotten 233 televoting points and finished 11th to 13th overall. But I get Lindon, since ten years Austria keeps doing better than Germany always.

however, in the battle of Sweden vs Finland, almost everyone suffered. But this song should have easily scored 140 points starting 21st.

Last edited:

MopManMoss

Veteran
But this song should have easily scored 140 points starting 21st.
And you base this on what? I loved it but didnt even end up voting for it, the staging didnt fit the song and the energy just was not where it needed to be

Ezio

Veteran
And you base this on what? I loved it but didnt even end up voting for it, the staging didnt fit the song and the energy just was not where it needed to be
I base this on my personal assumption and on empirical flop records for early runners. In the aftermath Edgar was the 4th to 7th most successful song in almost any country. Entered the UK Top 50 despite only ranking 12th in the televote. I take the liberty of assuming this song would have gotten 6 points with a later running, as reflected in the charts later on. You might have deliberately missed the note that Austria finished between 11th and 15th a lot.

Trust me, I knew we were hopeless when we pulled that slot after qualifying. It was the biggest buzz kill ever for me. And all these red showcases one after another were another dick move.

btw. king gustaph placed bottom 5 in the televote a lot more, Austria only once in France. Light a candle he didn’t open the show.

Last edited:

Lindon

Ezio

Veteran

Judas

FSC Mod
Staff member
This is interesting. Biggest losers between Semi and Final.

what most of these songs have in common, at first sight, is the early running order or the opening slot. Even Sweden got butchered in 2009 with an early run.

Oh yes, the video now reminds me of the time how disappointed I felt when Oskar performed first in 2011. The song was so wholesome and heartwarming and I wanted nothing but the best for him. :(

Ezio

Veteran
Charts Update

#3 -2 Loreen
#13 -5 Alessandra
#14 -7 Käärijä
#24 -20 Teya & Salena

Ezio

Veteran
Austria finished 13th in the ROW televote. Not bad since it’s riddled with diaspora votes.

Judas

FSC Mod
Staff member
The guy I've been dating saw "who the hell is edgar" on my last searches last night and asked me what it was. I showed him the music video and we vibed with the song together. I think he is a keeper?

JenJen94

The guy I've been dating saw "who the hell is edgar" on my last searches last night and asked me what it was. I showed him the music video and we vibed with the song together. I think he is a keeper?

Keeper alright :LOL:

Paco Roca

"Who the Hell is Edgar?" I always thought it was a "Halo 2.0". Austria has learned from the mistakes made the previous year but the musical direction is sadly the same (a Dance track).

I appreciated the irony of the text (although it was not easily intuitive for all the Non English speakers), the cheerful sound (although in the Rap parts it seemed like a fully American product), the vocals of Teya & Salena (upgrade compared to Pia Maria) and the commitment to trying to be original. Yes "commitment", because there hasn't been a genuine originality but a fairly constructed one. The search for the word "Poe" to achieve a "viral effect" and the Italian phrases sung in a light Gregorian style seemed to me good choices but nothing sensational after all.

What did I dislike? The bland choreography (upgrade compared to "Halo" where it was absent) and the lesser rendition of the live from the studio version (the performance eventually ended up failing to have the energy and nonconformity it set out to have) .

The Top 15, in a year full of "crazy songs", is a great result. I'm curious to see what the Austrian choice will be next year. I like it as a nation. If he had more constancy he could aspire to much more glorious results.

Ezio

Veteran
We were most Unlucky with the running order but also with the voting system in place this year. From recent years, the new twist this year provided the worst possible outcomes relatively to any other voting system.

Not only did we miss the Top 10 by 9 points but the rest of the world vote pulled us down under Armenia.

The combined voting systems of 2009-2012, 2013 and 2014-2015 would have boosted us to the left side of scoreboard. I don’t advocate for the combined voting neither of course since it provided the worst possible result for us in 2015.

A top 20 voting system would have also lifted us up since we didnt finish in the televoting bottom a lot at all, while other countries did.

So, the results are a bit salty but at a closer look pretty well predicted by the odds after the running order came out. 120 points isn’t a horrible score. I didn’t live to see Austria achieving a three digit many times, first time in 2003, then 2014, 2016, 2018. 2011 could have been such a year with the current voting system but then that’s it.

for a show opener the result is one of the better, and our little televoting score very well desevred and hard earned. Other countries with similar or slightly higher scores got most points from diaspora and neighbours. 7 points from Australia don’t come easy. Those 12 points from Belgian jury was the best part of the jury segment.

aeon

The staging from Austria was terrible, lost a minimum of 30 points on televotes alone. Would have easily made top 10 with better stage and choreography.
Most points Austria got were from Australia, 13.

Ezio

Veteran
The staging from Austria was terrible, lost a minimum of 30 points on televotes alone. Would have easily made top 10 with better stage and choreography.
Most points Austria got were from Australia, 13.
A show opener with 50 tv points is a rare event in any case. Austria would have had to overshadow every other act. but if Australia could provide 13 points, as an unsuspected friend or ally, then why couldnt the other countries. That's a brainfuck for me

Lindon

Spotify Streams (27/06)

🇸🇪 Tattoo - 165.5M
🇳🇴 Queen of Kings - 100.2M
🇫🇮 Cha Cha Cha - 85.8M
🇮🇹 Due Vite - 67.9M
🇵🇱 Solo - 28.2M
🇮🇱 Unicorn - 26M
🇫🇷 Évidemment - 20.3M
🇦🇹 Who The Hell Is Edgar? - 17.2M
🇨🇿 My Sister's Crown - 17M
🇬🇧 I Wrote A Song - 16.8M

Ezio

Veteran
The robbed queens had the 9th most watched video in June and the 6th most watched of this years ESC on the official ESC Channel.

Ezio

Veteran
Hot fact: Austria 12 points was announced the most by which country in the past 10 years?
Yes, yes, Belgium. We should make out more with them!

Ezio

Veteran
What works against Austria is a lack of voting allies like for most of Western and Central European countries, and also a very early running order, which also hurts everyone based on empirical records. Only 2003, when Turkey won from 4th and Austria finished 6th performing 2nd, the songs reprise was in reversed order. Why did they not keep this? Would be a fair mitigation of recency bias.

15th place isn't great, but in the context of this year's Eurovision not too terrible either. The twist with the Rest of the World vote cost us a place, so for the sake of comparison, Austria finished 14th without the RoW vote.

The following countries also collected 16 points but had a worse average placement: Portugal and Serbia. Granted, both countries also had a terrible running order.

Portugal received their 16 points from Switzerland, France and Spain. So, all of their diaspora countries. Fast forward to 2024, they would have collected 28 points thanks to their diaspora in Luxembourg.

Serbia received their 13 of their 16 points from Croatia and Slovenia, another point by Switzerland and zero from Austria. I think it's stunning how little Serbia got this year based on diaspora and neighbours, but still, their points came from them, except maybe for the two points from Malta.

Austria however earned their 16 points from Australia, Netherlands, Serbia and Finland. Not a single point from a neighbour, and diaspora we don't have. Except for the 3 points from Serbia, thanks to Teya's roots, I would say these points didn't come easy at all. And the average ranking shows that. Austria also ranks higher on average than other countries finishing higher in the scoreboard, such as Lithuania, Estonia and Armenia.

Austria missed the Top 10 by 9 points only, the Top 9 by 31 points and the Top 8 by 48 points. Points easily to be collected through a later running order.

9 points and yet 5 places is stunning.

So, let's further diminish the results of countries before us :devilish:

Armenia collected 2 points more, they got pushed by the Rest of the World which voted for the first time, and their average placing isn't great either. They received 53 points from televoters, which is significantly more than us, but yet their average placing is worse. Here's why:

24 points come from Georgia and France, 8 from rest of the world (probably the Kardashians spending their fortune), 6 from Belgium, 4 from Cyprus, 1 from Greece. All friends, all allies. Without them, their televote would have collapsed. Undeservedly of course, because the song was great, but then successfully sabotaged by Marvin Dietmann to be unmemorable.

Croatia collected 3 points more than us and was particularly succesful in the televotes. But at a closer look, the big points came from the big Balkan family and 3 points fom RoW vote. 12 points from Slovenia, 10 points from each Austria and Serbia, 8 from Ukraine for being an anti-Russia song, 8 from Albania, 6 from Switzerland and Germany, Poland also heard the whistle. Many points that effortlessly collected this year. But good for them, Croatia had a poor track record in recent years with better songs than Serbia (looking at you, 2018).

Cyprus collected 6 points more than us, and guess what 12 televoting points from Greece. Stunner! The crazy part about Cyprus is the jury vote. How the hell did they fall for this playback show? I kinda loved that song for being catchy, but the live was not it. Too derivative, too inoffensive, the jury failed at this one. 8 televoting points come from Australia, where he was born and raised, and 8 from Armenia, an old ally.

Lithuania collected 7 points more than us and we all know by now the story of Lithuanian success at Eurovision, because it comes with their diaspora. 30 points from Ireland, UK, Latvia. Only 5 points from Estonia, 4 points from Ukraine, also 4 points from their voting ally Georgia, and 1 point from Poland speaks volumes about the reception of their entry this year, because usually they do even better with their neighbours, but diaspora pushed them all the way to the left side of the scoreboard. What a boring and mediocre filler song this was.

And now, I am happy to shred Estonia. They bottomed a lot in the televotes and only got 20 points or so from a handful of countries, 3 of them being neighbours. What's wrong with Estonia is their jury score. A boring, unoriginal ballad got way too many jury votes yet again. Jurors being mostly singers themselves, many of them classically trained obviously have a bias to songs like these. But jurors are not representative of the genres, when we have rock, rap, ethno and else, but jurors mostly come from pop and classic, we end up with Sweden winning and Estonia getting a way too good of a result. The Final would have looked better with Georgia than Estonia. Bridges is probably my least liked song this year.

So, all in all, we missed the Top 10 by a squeaker, we had the dubious honor of opening the show, we are having a Top 10 streamed song the second year in a row, and all our televotes are not easily earned.

Of course, Spain and France have real reasons to complain, but I am not the one to complain for them. I might chime in for Finland later.

Czechia got 9 points more than us, and I don't think there is much to say about them. No voting allies, great song, actually underperformed at the end result also like we did. Their distribution of televotes is very fair. Can't argue against 10 points from Finland, when this song looked like voting bait for the Slavic sisters, but their response was a bit lackluster. Czechia got 12 points overall from Slavic sisters, which is way less than I expected, but enough to pass us.

Top Bottom