Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Me coming here to read about notes (chords you think) progression copy, whereas noone answered my post about Lithuanian entry copying chords progression directly from Kings of Leon's song Milk. 🤣

Came here to say that after some time listening to this song it has started to sound disjointed and flat more than Israeli song, if that's even possible.

The verses are melodically empty and repetitive, same impression I have got about all breaks and bridges that actually rely on vocal lines alternating, not the melody.

So that leaves me with a chorus, which is a real and absolute earworm, but that one has the lyrics I'd be embarrased to hum in the public. Oh miO 🤣🤣 padre there's a ghost in my body. No.

But it's funny and a nice change next to other ESC pop clichees, so I'm satisfied that we're having this entry this year.

jatojo

Okay, Music Nerd here to clear up what @jatojo is talking about. The ooooooohhhh in the background vocals in the final part of the song is the same sequence of notes as when Dua Lipa sings "I got new rules, I count them." On a minor scale the seqeuence is 1-2-3-5-3-2-1.

Thanks! Yes, you're right - see the mashup in the "this song sounds exactly like ..." thread:

I have absolutely no idea of how the whole legal area works and no intention of delving into it. As a musician, in this case, I'd cite it as a mere coincidence for various reasons:

1. The rhythm is slightly different.
2. It's a backing vocal, not the main melody.
3. The chords accompanying are different, giving it quite a different overall sound.

First of all: No, it's not a copy/paste element that carries the song, I agree. And I'm not saying that the mentioned similarity (which is obvious and can't be questioned) is on the same level as, say, taking a chorus from another song and using it as a chorus in a Eurovision song.

But Austria's song is one of those incoherent compositions built around small melody pieces, and if you took them out, there wouldn't be much left (I don't really see the "main melody" you're mentioning). There are numerous big hits where the same thing has been done to make the song more interesting. Although it's often harder to see the resemblance in them than in the case of the Dua Lipa part here, they had to get permission and pay for it.

What I'm saying here is not meant to be about judicial stuff - I'm just saying that it is dead wrong to claim that there is "no similarity at all" (just to quote one comment).

I think it's pretty rare to see a Eurovision song with a note progression that corresponds so much to the central part of a global hit. If it was about a less important part of a lesser-known song, then I would have seen it differently.

In terms of songs that can be mixed to create a new song: Yeah, it's fun, but it's a completely different matter. :)

midnightsun

Veteran
As if being a copy means it’s bad?!

I often refer to other songs that have been copied because there are a LOT of songs that are copied from other songs, some even former Eurovision songs but the point is that is doesn’t matter!

So let people think it is copied - what’s sooo terrible about the claims you guys constantly have to complain if people compare two songs??!!!

jatojo

As if being a copy means it’s bad?!

As mentioned I think it's one of the cool parts of the song. :) But I think many can relate to the experience of hearing a part of a song and getting an (annoying) association to something else. :)

Ezio

Veteran
As mentioned I think it's one of the cool parts of the song. :) But I think many can relate to the experience of hearing a part of a song and getting an (annoying) association to something else. :)
Happens to me all the time with Lovers / Heroes on the Sun by Måns Guetta and David Zelmerlöw respectively.

Zelmerlöw was lucky to win in Vienna, because they were able to pronounce his name correctly with the ö.

midnightsun

Veteran
I often associate Eurovision songs with other (Eurovision) songs. And get criticized all the the time for it. And I honestly don’t get it. If I say Fulenn reminds me of Shum and Soarele si Luna to both - then it’s my f-ing opinion.
And yes, thank you for reminding me a thousand times there were electrofolk bands before, it’s not THAT I WOULDNT KNOW!!!

In the end it doesn’t matter because people like it because it’s a copy and they already like the original one OR they find it a bit uninspiring because it’s a copy and lose therefore interest in the song. Both ways are absolutely fine. Claiming a song is a copy doesn't necessarily mean someone doesn’t like the song.

In this case, I don’t know the Dua Lipa song so I don’t care if it’s a copy or not but if people think it is… let it be!

jatojo

I often associate Eurovision songs with other (Eurovision) songs. And get criticized all the the time for it. And I honestly don’t get it. If I say Fulenn reminds me of Shum and Soarele si Luna to both - then it’s my f-ing opinion.

It's because people love to add things to what others are actually saying. So the sentence "part A is similar to part B" is interpreted (wrongly) as "this song is horrible because part A is similar to part B".

Ezio

Veteran
Nice snapshot, Armenia is incredibly close

Lindon

I'm still very skeptical after last year. Gebranntes Kind...
Waiting for the pre parties

Ezio

Veteran
I'm still very skeptical after last year. Gebranntes Kind...
Waiting for the pre parties
We should wait for the lives and keep cool. But honestl, even a worse live version of Halo would go through in this semi imho.

i am not here for a Austrian victory, because I don’t need it. Just let us play with the cool kids again.

my wet dream is a victory of France, Armenia, Slovenia, Czechia or Finland and Austria sandwiched between them

A-lister

Veteran
A-lister's annual review:

Oh yes Austria, welcome to my top. 3/5xcheer This is modern, quirky in the right way, catchy dance-Pop and in my opinion the best Austrian entry since... 2016 and one of the best Austrian entries of the past decades. I really appreciate this and hope they will do something clever with the stage show.

Last edited:

Lindon

Those Déjà-vu's this year. Spot 13 like last year

Ezio

Veteran
Those Déjà-vu's this year. Spot 13 like last year
At least we won’t open the GF if we draw first half. Austria-Lia might get the honor

Top Bottom