Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2022

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

marty

Vincent Bueno is the lowest point for Austria.
But I have to say that it also is Eberhard Forchers fault, they should have found an uptempo song for Vincent. Nobody wanted to listen to such a depressing song in the middle of the corona crisis. Vincent is a great singer and dancer and probably a very nice guy, but his entry was the weakest austrian entry for many years in my eyes.

Datura

But I have to say that it also is Eberhard Forchers fault, they should have found an uptempo song for Vincent. Nobody wanted to listen to such a depressing song in the middle of the corona crisis. Vincent is a great singer and dancer and probably a very nice guy, but his entry was the weakest austrian entry for many years in my eyes.

well i don't think that this is eberhard forchers fault. orf wanted the entry to be very different from "alive" and to go in this direction

Last edited:

aef

well i don't think that this is eberhard forchers fault. orf wanted the entry to be very different from "alive" and to go on this direction
Why? I thought the initial concept with a funky dance song at least had some potential. Why would I let someone like Bueno sing a song where he can't dance...

Datura

Why? I thought the initial concept with a funky dance song at least had some potential. Why would I let someone like Bueno sing a song where he can't dance...
ask the people at orf who are in charge, i have no idea :D
i wasn't a fan of alive and personally liked amen more (which doesn't mean anything, i had both songs near the bottom of my list of faves) but i agree an uptempo song would have been better for him

Ezio

Vincent Bueno is the lowest point for Austria.
I think the Eurovision 2021 selection process was the lowest point for Austria. They nominated Vincent Bueno out of laziness and were surprised he couldn't pull off writing a decent song. Amen was given to him, which was a good song after all and also decently staged. But not the right song for this day and age. In the sea of female bops, a funky male bop with a cool dance routine would have had a USP. Kinda a wasted opportunity for sure.

Datura

I think the Eurovision 2021 selection process was the lowest point for Austria. They nominated Vincent Bueno out of laziness and were surprised he couldn't pull off writing a decent song. Amen was given to him, which was a good song after all and also decently staged. But not the right song for this day and age. In the sea of female bops, a funky male bop with a cool dance routine would have had a USP. Kinda a wasted opportunity for sure.
with one thing i have to disagree again: i don't think they nominated him out of laziness. i think it was fair (and again i'm NOT a fan of his art). he really tried to participate several times and alive was his last try. after the contest being cancelled i think it was a nice gesture to let him participate again. from a competitive standpoint yes maybe a different choice would have been better :D

Lance Esgard

My view is in-between Datura and Ezio. Having had Alive (plus a different song that almost made it through a different year) I don't think it was unreasonable to think that Vincent Bueno would be able to get something good given all those months he had available. On that part I agree with Datura, but I think that as Ezio noticed in his June 2020 post, it was known that Vincent Bueno had an ill cousin battling cancer. That's easily the sort of thing that can affect an artist's direction and it clearly affected what Vincent was releasing.

If Vincent's direction as an artist had changed due to a major event in his life, it may be that no amount of songwriting skills on his part would have produced a song that would have been a better fit for Eurovision 2021. It may simply be that he was in too different a space emotionally for that. (The Eberhard Foucher interview indicated that when Vincent agreed to sing Amen that he said he would 'make it his own,' which suggests his put his own spin onto how he interpreted the song and how he sung it and/or other elements.)

I think the issue with having such a hands-off approach, assuming that they had plenty of time and things would be good is that when that ends up not being the case, you find out too late to not be even more constrained in your available options.

Lance Esgard

...but as eberhard said in his (very very long) interview with wiwibloggs this time was the first year where "real artists" (i don't know which word to use, i don't mean this disrespectful to others, does anybody get what i mean and has suggestions how to phrase this better?)
Maybe somehting along the lines of 'dream picks/acts?'

Datura

Maybe somehting along the lines of 'dream picks/acts?'
Hm no thats not what i mean. I mean artists who write their stuff themselves and are not "just" singers of a Song manufactured by the creative Team of a TV broadcasting station

Ezio

with one thing i have to disagree again: i don't think they nominated him out of laziness. i think it was fair (and again i'm NOT a fan of his art). he really tried to participate several times and alive was his last try. after the contest being cancelled i think it was a nice gesture to let him participate again. from a competitive standpoint yes maybe a different choice would have been better :D
They nominated him and at the same time expected from him to deliver a self-written song for Eurovision. He delivered something, which wasn't deemed good enough. Who would have thought?! :D

marty

I also prefer singer-songwriters as a general rule. On the other hand - Vincent Bueno is also a singer songwriter… being one obviously doesn‘t guarantee quality.
That would not be fair. I mean what should songwriters who cant sing do? We would not get a lot of great songs. Originally ESC was a contest for songwriters. Making a singer/songwriter contest out of it would be a huge change.

Sammy

That would not be fair. I mean what should songwriters who cant sing do? We would not get a lot of great songs. Originally ESC was a contest for songwriters. Making a singer/songwriter contest out of it would be a huge change.
Did I say anything about having only singer-songwriters?

Edit: Oh, I get it! „as a general rule“ was referring to my personal taste, not as a rule to the contest. I should have said: generally/most of the time I prefer singer-singwriters to be more clear.

Top Bottom