'Cause heaven can't wait for us to finish the fight

And I'm stronger than angels
I'm fearless in danger
And I will bring dark to the light
Let me be your halo
'Cause we've been through hell and back in only one night​

Ezio

Veteran
Which countries did he stage this year after all?

I only found a list of last year:

• Austria - left no impression
  • Czech republic - left no impression
  • Bulgaria - beautiful, because it was calm and didn't need dynamic staging
  • Cyprus - halfway cool, the mirror effect was nice
  • Spain - massive flop
  • Croatian - looked cool but these colours (pink and blue) hardly ever work
  • Estonia - very much downgraded from the national final, way too static, hated the cheap lightning effects

Dietmann loves grand hand gestures as a staging element. Worked for Conchita and that's it.

Datura

Which countries did he stage this year after all?

I only found a list of last year:

• Austria - left no impression
  • Czech republic - left no impression
  • Bulgaria - beautiful, because it was calm and didn't need dynamic staging
  • Cyprus - halfway cool, the mirror effect was nice
  • Spain - massive flop
  • Croatian - looked cool but these colours (pink and blue) hardly ever work
  • Estonia - very much downgraded from the national final, way too static, hated the cheap lightning effects

Dietmann loves grand hand gestures as a staging element. Worked for Conchita and that's it.
he definitely has too many "clients", no surprise he doesn't have good ideas for most of them. he should do less but maybe put more effort into it. but i guess it's about the money...
hard to believe that only around 3 people exist who do staging, it seems everything in esc is done by dietmann or sache jean baptiste. i repeat: give other people a chance

Ezio

Veteran
he definitely has too many "clients", no surprise he doesn't have good ideas for most of them. he should do less but maybe put more effort into it. but i guess it's about the money...
Greed certainly is a problem, but anyone could have staged Czechia and Spain better last year. And he staged Austria like a funeral. I don't fathom Eurofans go yeah yeah fire over this.

Kinda loved Limits in 2019, absolutely stunning, but it's such a calm song and that's what he does best, when he is focused and Paenda ruined it all by herself.

marty

Pia Maria had too many things to manage. She was very busy with trying to hit the right notes. no time for the work with the cameras. usually the gestures are the strength of Marvin Dietmann, this year he should have had more time for the austrian staging. and Pia Maria did not learn how to hold the microphone properly. she would have needed much more coaching.
still I think that most of the best female singers in the world could not sing that song like it sounded in the studio version. thus in another genre she might sound good. I am curious how her first single will sound like. next week on friday we will know.

Datura

I am curious how her first single will sound like. next week on friday we will know.
its a much darker song, definitely slower than halo. electronic minimalistic production, a bit billie eilish meets taken by a stranger (but for me it doesn't really go anywhere to be honest...). her voice sounds good imo, wouldnt have recognised her though...

Ezio

Veteran
OK, a Paenda 2.0., who doesn't know how to hook the listener

Datura

OK, a Paenda 2.0., who doesn't know how to hook the listener
just in case u're not familiar with paendas post-esc songs, i'd recommend u check them out, i really think she has improved massively and deserves a lot of respect imo. some really catchy pop tunes

and pia maria did not write the song herself

Ezio

Veteran
Cyprus ruined, UK stiff but didn’t hurt, Germany was very much staged for the elderly, Israel looked better at their NF, Austria tragic, Armenia toilet paper staging OK…. Was effective

Ezio

Veteran
just in case u're not familiar with paendas post-esc songs, i'd recommend u check them out, i really think she has improved massively and deserves a lot of respect imo. some really catchy pop tunes

and pia maria did not write the song herself
Ok, I will try to surrender

Ezio

Veteran
Eurovision not a big charts success story this year, thanks to low viewing figures, but Lum!x is doing very well

#6 +5 Halo
#26 N Stefania
#31 N Supermodel
#44 N Rockstars
#67 N Give that wolf a banana

Ezio

Veteran
Halo is one of the commercially most successful Eurovision hits in Austria, despite being a flop at the contest.

2000: Rounder Girls, 34 televoting points, no charts entry
2002: Manuel Ortega, 26 televoting points, #11
2003: Alf Poier, 101 televoting points, #7
2004: Tie-Break, 9 televoting points, #44
2005: global.kryner, 21 televoting points, NQ, #23
2007: Eric Papilaya, 4 televoting points, NQ, #9
2011: Nadine Beiler, 25 televoting points, 145 jury points, #9
2012: Trackshittaz, 15 televoting points, 27 jury points, NQ, #2
2013: Natalia Kelly, televoting rank 12.33, jury rank 6.32, NQ, #26
2014: Conchita Wurst, 311 televoting points, 224 jury points, #1
2015, The Makemakes, 0 televoting points, 40 jury points, #2
2016, Zoe, 120 televoting points, 32 jury points, #13
2017: Nathan Trent, 0 televoting points, 93 jury points, #18
2018: Cesar Sampson, 71 televoting points, 271 jury points, #1
2019: Paenda, 0 televoting points, 21 jury points, NQ, no charts entry
2020: Vincent Bueno, n/a, no charts entry
2021: Vincent Bueno, 13 televoting points, 53 jury points, NQ, no charts entry
2022: Lum!x feat. Pia Maria, 36 televoting points, 6 jury points, NQ, #6

Funny how Trackshittaz were more loved by the juries than Lum!x

Ezio

Veteran
I just figured that "Rise Like A Phoenix" was the most succesful televoting winner until this year. Since 3 countries didn't deliver televotes in the Grand Final, and Austria can't vote for themselves, Conchita achieved 311 of 396 (12 x 33) of available televotes or 78,54 %, which is 0.33 points more than Il Volo in 2015.

Lindon

Pia Marias solo debut single "I KNOW U KNOW" is out today. Thoughts?
I have to say I like the whole thing, more than the new song by LUM!X

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Pia Maria's new song is very boring. Like Vincent Buenos, Paenda or Nathan Trent, the first verse is good and the second is the same wthout progression and the song ends abruptly. This song won't sell.

Lumix song is also very boring, such a generic disco filler, much weaker than Monster or Halo.

Overall, quite depressing Eurovision season, but I kept my promise and didn't watch the Grand Final nor the second semifinal, and next year, I won't watch it at all. I don't feel any excitement anymore. Even with a Top 5 download song and Top 10 OGAE/INFE Fanpoll song, and most watched YouTube video, after two seasons of unhypeable Vincent Bueno songs and a trashed masterpiece by Paenda, we still don't go to the finals.

Datura

well lumix' song is basically a cover, at least hers is a new one. im not overly impressed either, especially as she writes her own stuff (since shes 15) but this song is written by a songwriting team and she's just singing it. and it doesn't really go anywhere.

Overall, quite depressing Eurovision season, but I kept my promise and didn't watch the Grand Final nor the second semifinal, and next year, I won't watch it at all. I don't feel any excitement anymore. Even with a Top 5 download song and Top 10 OGAE/INFE Fanpoll song, and most watched YouTube video, after two seasons of unhypeable Vincent Bueno songs and a trashed masterpiece by Paenda, we still don't go to the finals.
well i don't need austria to do well to feel any excitement about eurovision, i love it either way. quite sad to keep urself from watching it next year but you do you.

Lindon

Pia Maria's new song is very boring. Like Vincent Buenos, Paenda or Nathan Trent, the first verse is good and the second is the same wthout progression and the song ends abruptly. This song won't sell.

Lumix song is also very boring, such a generic disco filler, much weaker than Monster or Halo.

I didn't watch the second semifinal. I did watch the opening of the grand final, then the last two minutes of Sweden (zapping through) and later all of UK till Mika confused Poland with Holland and Andi Knoll said "Don't worry Mika, it's a land".

Ezio

Veteran
Terrible news from Austria. She was in the middle of 25 fans, she was an icon, a legend and the moment in every voting segment, and now she is leaving Ö3 to go to a regional ORF radio. Farewell, Kathi Bellowitch. It was nice having you, and please find a new job for Philipp Hansa, too.

Top Bottom