'Cause heaven can't wait for us to finish the fight

And I'm stronger than angels
I'm fearless in danger
And I will bring dark to the light
Let me be your halo
'Cause we've been through hell and back in only one night​

Mainshow

Veteran
Since vocals were so important this year, why werent they last year?
Sometime it´s just random.

One of our jurry members said that Germany´s #1 was Israel back in 2016 because of the exceptionally brilliant vocals - whereas Poland got ranked #19.

Datura

Datura

I honestly believe it´s one of your best entries ever (not gonna lie) - I didn´t really like the performance, though.
hm it didn't do anything for me, i liked it slightly better than "alive", but apart from that it left me very empty (and i honestly think vincent did not connect with the song either). sorry (and dont get frustrated with me @Ezio )

HarryUK

Is it true the Swedish commentator made a dig about Pia's vocals when their performance ended lol

Lindon

I predict, in the long run, Halo will be one of the commercially most successful Eurovision songs 2022 in the real world. Top 5.

VirginiaVision

For anyone interested in an opinion from someone outside the Eurovision bubble who generally likes this kind of music, look no further than my mom!

She thought the song was fine, but that it was "nothing special". When I told her that the singer had struggled vocally in some previous performances, her response was along the lines of "I didn't think it sounded bad, but there wasn't anything really special about her voice".

Disclaimer: this might have been one of the entries that performed while her neighbor was mowing their lawn...

Ezio

Veteran
according LUMIX this song is for young people, to party after the frustrating years of lockdown. So, if middle aged people like to mow the lawn with this song, is a nice unintended extra benefit

marty

Eurovision in Austria is officially in danger. ORF is struggling to find a viable artist every yearr, not even talent show alumni are interested in ESC. The flop of Lumix is the nail in the coffin.

I think ORF is not giving a flying fuck about next year, they will not take any effort at all, imho.

However I will hold the memories of this Eurovision season very dear. The release of the song, the excitement, the response. Pia Maria is iconic, she is my personal Verka Serducka. Love her. So adorable.

Eurovision wants to celebrate diversity but caters a ballad exclusive final and always the same Logos and graphics. Last year worse singers made it to the final with lame slut bops, these year it is the yawn contest.

Here is an idea for more diversity and excitement in the final, since Eurovision has to cater to the fans and viewers at home, not the juries.

The jury top 5 of each semi go to the final and next best 5 of televoting. This ensures that fan faves go to the final and the most competitive acts. A qualifier that was barely saved by the juries is a lost cause in the GF. But someone saved by televoters will get a decent moment "get ready to receive 123 points" even if his jury score sucks ass

We would have had Montenegro 2013, Blackbird, Lost in Verona and even Trijnje Oosterhuis in the finals
I also disagree. There was a lot of interest this year and quite a good choice. With Visions of Atlantis there was a very renowned band in the game (but obviously submitted too late).
Halo was the right song. We know that it was hard for ORF to decide because of the lack of experience of Pia Maria. Perhaps they should have said, ok lets keep the song for next year and find a good singer for it or even took a singer from abroad. Maybe the started caring about the live performance too late. And probably they just did not have enough money for the staging. When I first heard that they will bring a halo with them I thought of something completely different, something that would move at least up and down. I dont think EDM needs dancers but technically it should have been more impressing. but still that could not uplift it to a top10 entry.
of course for Austrians this all is very diappointing because in the beginning there was so much interest and positive feedback to the song. I was sure that this would end up in the top 10. really somebody took a wrong decision.

• Like It
Reactions: aef

marty

This kind of music is not my cup of tea but this would have been a good entry without concerns about vocal capacities and a save qualifier in my eyes.

Milos-BC

The performance was nice and energetic, but I didn't expect a different outcome because the song was too weak and the vocal performance was subpar. Hope for something better from :at: next year.

sigi

The singer was chosen by Lum!x himself. I know that Sara de Blue also recorded a demo but Luca was not satisfied with her. The first demos of "Halo" were slower and more 80ies than 90ies. But i wonder why they didn't find a professional singer for the song.

midnightsun

Veteran
What are you all talking about not a "professional singer"? Pia Maria can sing very well, she proved it in some video where she sang another song but Halo.

Lumix probably had a picture in mind how the overall look and feel of the song should be visualized but people can be wrong sometimes, it’s human. I think he wanted an alternative girl next door to be accessible for the usual audience but it didn’t click with me.

The sad truth is, if some member of Hurricane or Elena Tsagrinou were with him on stage, it might have ended up a little higher. And, to be fair, both could probably have sung THIS specific song a bit better than Pia and were able to move at the same time.

Maybe EDM and indie girl don’t go well together but I totally get why he chose her, her style is on trend and he wanted to focus on the song, not a half naked singer. And while I really appreciate that move I still think this specific song and Pia's appearance (voice, her hairstyle, the punk clothes) didn’t match.

Lindon

Monika Ballwein "This is demanding"
Ina Regen "I wouldn't want to do it if I'm honest"
English subtitled

Last edited:

aef

Pia Maria ruined the finalworthy Song. She is this Years Roxen.
Ruin is quite a harsh word but you’re actually right.

Top Bottom