And I'm stronger than angels
I'm fearless in danger
And I will bring dark to the light
Let me be your halo
'Cause we've been through hell and back in only one night​

hijirio

Veteran
ONE OF THE BEST PERFORMANCES OF THE NIGHT

They owned the show, great vocals, great performance, so energetic...
blows my mind how they didn't make it

Lindon

Halo setup

hpp0

While I enjoyed the performance, cause I really love the song, I understand very well why it NQed.

What I don't understand is why they downgraded their entry only to have Pia Maria sing it. I, by no means, intent to offend her, but yesterday I heard the Greek commentators saying that she is singing as a hobby and if true, for an amateur she did an excellent job but why couldn't they just give the song to an actual singer then?

First the lowered the key of the song, which for me affected it a bit, cause it doesn't have this "hype" feeling the studio version has and it sounded more watered down. Then they make the performance so static so she doesn't have to move too much and sound bad which again contributed a lot to downgrading the performance. I don't think having dancers would have been the answer at least not with the 6 people rule. The song needed a more charismatic performer that would have gotten the crowd more excited, kinda like Lumix was doing.

Juries have definitely killed it but I don't think it has done that well with the public either, maybe 8th place at most.

MopManMoss

Veteran
If the leaked results are true, Austria was 10th with juries but with a low score. Juries basically blanked the bottom 8. 6th with televoting and 14th overall with 2 missing out for Q. 112 points.

Switzerland 0 from televoting and 130 from juries.
I get that you're hurt but do you honestly believe Austria came 10th with the juries? In what world would that happen we've all heard Pia

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
I get that you're hurt but do you honestly believe Austria came 10th with the juries? In what world would that happen we've all heard Pia

maybe because the Austrian entry was far more interesting and entertaining than some of the qualifiers

juries should not judge the vocals only

theditz83

Veteran
I've watched it back and seeing how excited and happy she was at the end, as well as in the insta stories where she hoped so much to sing again makes me feel so sad. Ofc everyone last night wanted to sing again and be in the final, but to see the pure excitement and happiness and know disappointment followed is what makes the semis brutal to watch. It's a real shame.
Exactly - her pure joy that she just couldn't hold in at the end of her performance was so so adorable, and like I said before I just hope she was able to enjoy this experience for the special moment that it was and know that even if Austria didn't qualify, there were still a lot of people all over Europe partying right there with them xlove

Zeus

maybe because the Austrian entry was far more interesting and entertaining than some of the qualifiers

juries should not judge the vocals only
'Far more interesting'

One tempo with no dynamics and just rushing towards the chorus 'let me be your halo-o' like ten times

I'm sorry, but from a musically point of view, there isn't really much interesting about this track. Go to a random club and you hear the same kind of songs but even more creative production-wise.

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
'Far more interesting'

One tempo with no dynamics and just rushing towards the chorus 'let me be your halo-o' like ten times

I'm sorry, but from a musically point of view, there isn't really much interesting about this track. Go to a random club and you hear the same kind of songs but even more creative production-wise.

So you would call Iceland, Portugal and Switzerland dynamic songs????

marty

It didn't even look good and Pia was clearly the wrong singer at the right time, which isn't just a matter of the vocals. Austria would have needed a singer like Chanel, who can dance and flirt with the camera while singing. Pia was obviously struggling. Was the staging always supposed to be that static or did they decide not to use dancers only when they realized Pia can't sing? I don't understand why things ended up like this. The studio version and the music video are very good. Clearly very bad decisions were made this year. When an unexperienced girl applies to sing at Eurovision, it is the job of the professionals in the delegation to make sure she's able to perform as needed and to turn her down in favor of someone more suitable if that's not the case. Who is the person responsible this year who failed so miserably at his job?
When the studio version was released in March, this was one of my favorites, but based on the live performance, it won't be anywhere near my final top 10. The various ballads I had dismissed as boring snoozefests before made a much better impression on stage than Halo.
the responsible person is Stefanie Groiss-Horowitz. she is the program director responsible for the esc.
now she has the chance to find a new and better concept (if you could call the selection process in the past a concept) for finding the next austrian entry.

aef

Come on it’s not as bad as you act like, we’ve heard way worse vocals at Eurovision before

Zeus

So you would call Iceland, Portugal and Switzerland dynamic songs????
Wrong comparison. Dynamics isn't the same as the energy of the song. These songs aren't uptempo songs. And yeah, in terms of musical shifts, rhythm changes, changing harmonies etc both Portugal and Iceland are quite dynamic. Switzerland not so much indeed.

JamieBrown

I've watched it back and seeing how excited and happy she was at the end, as well as in the insta stories where she hoped so much to sing again makes me feel so sad. Ofc everyone last night wanted to sing again and be in the final, but to see the pure excitement and happiness and know disappointment followed is what makes the semis brutal to watch. It's a real shame.
Exactly - her pure joy that she just couldn't hold in at the end of her performance was so so adorable, and like I said before I just hope she was able to enjoy this experience for the special moment that it was and know that even if Austria didn't qualify, there were still a lot of people all over Europe partying right there with them xlove

Austrian broadcaster interviewed them live in their midnight news and I searched this video, because I was interested in their reactions after being so cheerful both on stage

You can skip to minute 11:48 with the chapters below the video, before the interview is a short news about Ukraine qualifying

Translation for non-germans is: They are both still happy and thrilled about the experience, but especially Pia Maria was disappointed and answered No, as they were asked about the possibility of future participations. She reasoned that she does not see the sense in re-participating if she lost in the semifinals already :-(

Top Bottom