Let me be your halo
'Cause heaven can't wait for us to finish the fight

And I'm stronger than angels
I'm fearless in danger
And I will bring dark to the light
Let me be your halo
'Cause we've been through hell and back in only one night​

marty

Honestly, you might have gone through with a decent singer. This girl wasn't. Liked the song in studio form, liked all the rest. Just didn't liked her voice.
it was not only her voice but also the lack of stage presence. she had to concentrate on the singing.
it is not her fault but the clear fault of ORF who chose an unexperienced singer. they knew that this was a high risk but probably they could have put more effort into finding another singer.

Ezio

Veteran
Will EDM always be cursed at this contest 🥲 i also believe the vocals were an issue but still I JUST WANT EDM TO QUALIFY FOR ONCE PLS

Fingers crossed for :cz:
Norway went through with a DJ set though. The Czech song is kinda lackluster compared to Halo, for me.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Norway went through with a DJ set though. The Czech song is kinda lackluster compared to Halo, for me.
I don't find Norway as good as this tbh even though I like it

And even counting it's qualifications the number of NQs for edm is still higher xcry

Franzilein

Never liked the song, never liked her voice, but can we talk about that staging... why would you cage yourself in a circle when you have a song this energetic and a big-ass stage to use? Felt awkward to watch.

Mainshow

Veteran
I was so sure to see this qualify - but honestly, I´m not mad at the results because apart from Switzerland (which was probably a jury qualify and my parents absolutely adored it!), I wouldn´t have swapped any qualifiers. They all deserved to qualify - at least, we didn´t get Albania (a positive surprise!) - I really love the entry but that performance was probably the worst one today.

Heads up, dear Austrian fans! I´m pretty sure, "Halo" was #11 in the end - the staging was mediocre and Pia sang alright-ish but maybe it wasn´t simply enough?

I can totally understand why Moldova went through - it was the most joyful, colourful staging of the night.

nudiecrudi

I was sure Austria wasn't going to qualify. I don't think it was Pias voice, which was helped perfectly by the backing singer.
The whole package wasn't credible and fresh. I love techno house music but this proposal seemed to me a bit dated. And we have had many other similar style songs non qualifying in the recent past.
Seems that overall public and juries don't appreciate the genre

Ezio

Veteran
I was so sure to see this qualify - but honestly, I´m not mad at the results because apart from Switzerland (which was probably a jury qualify and my parents absolutely adored it!), I wouldn´t have swapped any qualifiers. They all deserved to qualify - at least, we didn´t get Albania (a positive surprise!) - I really love the entry but that performance was probably the worst one today.

Heads up, dear Austrian fans! I´m pretty sure, "Halo" was #11 in the end - the staging was mediocre and Pia sang alright-ish but maybe it wasn´t simply enough?

I can totally understand why Moldova went through - it was the most joyful, colourful staging of the night.
It's not Pia's fault. I think Lumix' animations contributed much more to the detriment of the song, and of course the staging that left me disappointed. I wanted dancers.

popavapeur

giving my 2 cents : So I did a live voting, we were 10 and Austria ranked 7th, which for a televote friendly song isn't that much so If Europe did kind of vote like that, juries destroyed their chances.

People at my appartment didn't really talk about her voice but they thought she was lip syncing over a recorded voice and at some moments she was singing. But nobody thought it was a big problem. The major thing I heard was "nothing is happening, are they staying is this circle ?" So basically a little too static.

I feel like it was televote top 10 but maybe between 5th - 10th and that wasn't enough to qualify if juries did destroy this act.

lacrymea

Gutted for :at:. I think the song was really really good. One of the best this year. And her vocals were fine tonight. I'm so sorry, guys...

midnightsun

Veteran
I don*t know why you are so obsessed with her vocals out of all candidates tonight.

Because even if she has clearly improved they were amongst the three worst vocals tonight.

I also didn’t like the sound of her voice, you can clearly hear it’s not made for her.
Whereas I really appreciated the staging - I thought it was pretty good, top 3 stagings tonight. It was very clever to put her in that halo to have justification why she didn’t move around because then she would have sounded even worse live.

theditz83

Veteran
Love how subjective this contest continues to be. I could easily name 3 singers that were worse than Pia tonight, and they all qualified.

But hey ho (let's go!) we move on... Thanks for the massive boppage :at: you will be missed :(

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Has anyone managed it other than Norway 2017?
unless you count norway this year, then no? or bulgaria 2007/ukraine 2021 as it was trance music

fun fact I am not a fan of norway 2017 and it's my least favorite edm track in esc so I guess the sekret for success is disliking those songs. I'll prepare a :cz: hate post for Thursday

Datura

Never liked the song, never liked her voice, but can we talk about that staging... why would you cage yourself in a circle when you have a song this energetic and a big-ass stage to use? Felt awkward to watch.
i really like the song but i expected the vocals to be "problematic".
gotta agree with the staging, it really felt like they were locked in a cage and that didnt do the whole thing any favours. lumix was good and confident and i really hope pia maria will not take this too hard. shes young and she gave her best

Datura

i wonder how they did in the televote, i mean i do agree that the public most likely gave them more points than the juries, but still... wouldn't be surprised if they didnt make the public top10 either (i really like the song as i said, and i think some others did aswell, but i'm not sure if vocals and staging were enough for people to really pick up the phone...)

NeoTen

This. Was. Banging. Damn! Look. Pia sounds like she doesn't train her voice enough. If it's the COVID or she just never learned to sing with any support, idc, but she was standing still, you should be able to handle that. Lum!x knew this. Lum!x still went with her. They'll be OK. It was for me the best dance song of the night. I really hope she learns from this, cause I truly believe she could've placed top 3 if they add some dancers instead of all the backing to support her.

Zeus

Tbh I'm also really pissed of for the fact that we lost against...
:ch: 3 minutes snoozefest
:is: 3 minutes snoozefest
:md: 3 minutes hey ho

Might be entertaining for others that we didn't qualify but I simply don't see the point of it. But anyways... Good night.

I guess I will only watch the voting on Saturday.
Agree with Moldova, but I guess for a lot of people Austria was 3 minutes 'let me be your halo-o' as well. And you can't really say that there was a lot of creativity in this song or quality in the (vocal) performance.

Koori

My 1st favourite of this ESC is out. Although I kinda felt that - the girl CAN'T sing. Poor Lumix, I'd be so frustrated...At the same time we had Switzerland and Moldova qualifying, so my bet it that they had it kinda borderline ( like 12th juries 8th tele and still didn't make it ). Still this was one of the rarest bops so really feeling sorry for all the local peeps there

GZRvIqH.gif

Top Bottom