Tell me, is this what you wanted?
Amen, amen, yeah
Are you getting what you wanted?
Are you getting what you wanted?
Amen​

Last edited by a moderator:

midnightsun

Veteran
Agreed but people will connect to Covid especially those not fluent in English. The whole „style“ is much too depressing imho and I‘m worrying it will put people off because I love the song and want it to qualify. But think of Blackbird (Finland)... NQ and I predicted it here right from the start when it became such a favourite because this too was much too dark and depressing (despite being such a beautiful song!)

Ezio

Veteran
Blackbird's jury vote was one of the biggest crimes ever committed in a Eurovision semifinal, so I get the notion that Amen is also too dark for Eurovision. Actually, Paenda's song was already quite dark. It's astounding we are crawling down the same rabbit hole again.

I totally love that song, but given the failures of Blackbird and Limits, I see the foreshadowing also.

On the one hand, I think, the song is outstanding in this semifinal and particularly in the first half.

On the other hand, if juries prefer radio friendy bops, then they would account down their points to them and push Amen last like they did with Limits. Although I think, Paenda's doom were her own nerves.

I also don't think Amen makes a lot of sense in the context of a break-up with a girl. It just needs to be sold by Vincent in a sincere and relatable context of divine tribulations and glory for him personally and ultimately for us all.

Otherwise, we would look stupid compared to Slovenia. They are definitely gonna sell it in an approachable and heart-felt way.

marty

Interesting, from the very first moment I heard this song I consider it to be about a broken relationship. I can try to look at it as a monologue of the singer talking to and being sort of angry at a god, however I have to try really hard. When you assume he's talking to his ex-girlfriend and funerals are just a poetical metaphore of a breakup, it makes perfect sense, and easily so. I don't really understand what are you guys onto.

Yes, there might be a religious theme in the background and there's the word "amen" used, but this is in the first place very clearly a breakup song. If you see some other interpretation, feel free to do so, but I'd just say you see things you just really want to see but that aren't necessarily there.

"It's just another funeral to you.
Is this what you wanted?
You didn't even try to save us!"

-> this is just another breakup to you (=the girlfriend) and you didn't honestly try to fix the relationship, you just moved on

Besides, if this truly is somehow meant as a complaint to a god about corona, ORF could never market it so, they would lose more points than they could ever gain in that way.
I dont think it is meant as a complaint to a god about corona. I just meant that the topic of the song should be held more open.

Ezio

Veteran
I am not gonna say what is burning on my lips now
I am not gonna say is a golden shower not something
for a very dark room what is burning on my lips now
I am not gonna say Okay I said it deal with it sorry

Iker

Veteran
This song has a pleasant melody, decent instrumentation (albeit nothing that counts as awesome in my impression) and very memorable chorus but the song fails to evoke any visceral emotion in me. I neither feel elated or sad. It feels a lot like it could be some B-side from some album of Michael Bublé or Robbie Williams. Overall it's a better entry than some of the recent ones from Austria in my opinion, like 2019 (I am sorry).

Lindon

What really happened at the rooftop

crashworld

Veteran
Now that all songs have been released (except Belarus, but I doubt I will like the artist's song to make a huge change).
I am re-evaluating all songs as per studio form and re-looking into my grading system and how I have ranked the songs according to my personal preference.

Even though it's a really well-produced song and Vincent is a great vocalist, but I just can't connect to the song at all.
I am left cold instead of feeling emotional. I am downgrading the rating to :4:.

Lindon

Yesterday I found our artist for the ESC 2022. All he needs is a suitable song

Ezio

Veteran
I am hoping for Sara de Blue in 2022. Her voice is golden and she had some appearances on the ORF christmas program last year. So maybe her time is coming soon.

Last edited:

Mimmon

Veteran
I am hoping for Sara de Blue in 2022. Her voice is golden and she had same appearances on the ORF christmas program last year. So maybe her time is coming soon.

I hope aswell..She appeared in uptempo song aswell as part of duet

Fluke

I thought this was really dull and disappointing at first, now it's really growing and might even make my top 10. I don't often change opinions about an entry that much, but i guess it was just so different from what i expected, and in a style i usually dislike. There's something really strong and genuine about this that makes it stand out! Not sure if he can make the final though.

MalagaToledo

Banned
Vb is asking ppl to stop hating. Lol
Btw, vb is following xavier Naidoo. :eek: o_O :eek: xscared
I'm not surprised though.

lasse braun

this is a typical song which will connect with the jurys - austria has made an analysis of the last 5-6 years and voila there is the next jurydarling.
if latvia song is made for the stage - this is made for the jury = boring try. :0:

Ezio

Veteran
Yesterday and the days before, I started to feel uneasy about Amen, as if it was too drowsy and depressing for the Song Contest. Maybe it's due to all the under-esteem by the fans, which usually gets me, when I think we have a strong song. So, I played the entire youtube playlist from 1 to 40, and Amen was one of the songs that stood for me out the most in a positive way. And there were not many. I feel like Eurovision 2021 is quite boring after all, and I am not compelled to buy the official album. Croatia, Greece, Cyprus, Moldova, Serbia, Azerbaijan is all the same song. The only "slutpop" that it's quite impressive is San Marino's.

I approached Italy with an open mind, but it did nothing for me, France neither, Switzerland neither.

So many songs, that make me want to pass 3 minutes as quickly as possible.

On the other hand, Czechia, Poland, Denmark, Estonia feel like they are flying under the radar. We have to watch out for them, especially in our semi, imho. Poland is a particularly bad song, and yet and sounds like a potential upset.

Ezio

Veteran
Austria is 9th at the odds to qualify, but what amazes me is that Denmark and Estonia are behind us, but Greece and Moldova before us. I think Estonia and Denmark are pretty obvious qualifiers, male singers with very catchy songs. No way they are gonna struggle. So that makes me a bit uneasy about our actual qualifying chances. Looking at the fanpolls, these chances must be very slim, unless we slay the jury vote with a Top 3 result. With young up and coming record label stars in the juries, that's also a steep hill to climb. The problem with the song is indeed that it has a dated One Republic sound which is pretty but not timeless. One Republic in general aged worse than I thought they would.

mauve

Veteran
Austria is 9th at the odds to qualify, but what amazes me is that Denmark and Estonia are behind us, but Greece and Moldova before us. I think Estonia and Denmark are pretty obvious qualifiers, male singers with very catchy songs. No way they are gonna struggle. So that makes me a bit uneasy about our actual qualifying chances. Looking at the fanpolls, these chances must be very slim, unless we slay the jury vote with a Top 3 result. With young up and coming record label stars in the juries, that's also a steep hill to climb. The problem with the song is indeed that it has a dated One Republic sound which is pretty but not timeless. One Republic in general aged worse than I thought they would.
I am not sure if Austrai will qualify ... I HOPE as I still like the song very much and actually think that it stands out. And unlike you I am not sure at all if Denmark or even Estonia are sure qualifiers. Denmark's song is in my eyes quite cheap and the NF-performance wasn't great at all. As for Estonia - I think that Vincent will have the advantage of his live singing compared to Uku. But who knows what will happen? It's always hard to predict and there will always be surprise qualifiers and NQ!

Ezio

Veteran
Denmark's song is pretty cool. Their problem are obviously the Jesper's vocals which are off-putting and I am quite sure that Denmark won't be in the jury's Top 10. Their second problem is the lack of allies besides Iceland.

Estonia might also end outside of the jury's top 10, but Uku has strong vocals, his song is very catchy and his stage show will be very effective and captivating, I guess.

If we come up with a modest staging, we are done.

Top Bottom