Tell me, is this what you wanted?
Tell me, is this what you wanted?
Amen, amen, yeah
Are you getting what you wanted?
Are you getting what you wanted?
Amen​

Last edited by a moderator:

Frenchbaguette

Mh, I feel litteraly the same towards this as i feel for slovenia. Except i prefer slovenia.

Sorry austria, it just didn't hit me, and Bulgaria is SO gonna outshine this :/ I really loved Alive .. What a shame !

illustrado

Ok, so Austria entry is the coronavirus/lockdown song.

In the music video, it start out in a small room that invokes. A coffin or six under feet. The verse talks about a funeral/ burial but might also refer to the millions who have died. The ‘amen’ sound like a curse and the ‘is this what you wanted’ pointed at god

As it moves along a window open reveals a crow. A marker of death. But also makes the room look like a closet. Signifying self-quarantine. Also depression and suicidal thoughts.

As the room keeps getting bigger it it get brighter. Giving hope to the situation. Endings in a roof top the crow turns in a Phoenix or sarimanok. Meaning hope.

This reminds me of the book of job. doubt on religion and even god is the central theme of that book.

Vincent having loss his daughter, aunt and his cousin being diagnose with cancer. gives more meaning to the song.

Ezio

Veteran
The book of Job is so important. Because people fall easily from God in times of tribulations, but that is the opposite of being faithful and to their own detriment. Job occurred to me a lot within the last year. I guess as a collective, we might get it wrong. The pandemic is upon us and we are stuck and not ready to let go our old habits and lives and become reborn in faith. Vincent however might understand and he might help a few souls to find their lights.

Lindon

Andi Knoll ORF ESC Commentator
Vincent Bueno
Kathrin Zechner ORF TV Director
Stefan Zechner ORF Head of Delegation
Eberhard Forcher ORF ESC Scout

Lindon

Please mods, remove it if it is too much but I had a ball with this reaction :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It reminded me of Dennis Hopper in "Blue Velvet" 😂

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
If he were to pay tribute to his deceased daughter in his performance and also deliver the gospel ("good news"), it would have a lot of impact, and I think it would be really nice and appropriate.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
With Austria being basically the only true ballad in the first half of the Semi, have Vincent's odds of qualifying increased? The running order is going to be wild. I guess Estonia or Austria may be 2nd in the running order? Just a wild guess.

Ezio

Veteran
With Austria being basically the only true ballad in the first half of the Semi, have Vincent's odds of qualifying increased? The running order is going to be wild. I guess Estonia or Austria may be 2nd in the running order? Just a wild guess.
Pretty sure we are 2nd. That's so obvious, but I am not bothered by it. If the staging is bland, it becomes a problem because of recency bias, but if it's impactful, Vincent could smack down the competition that follows.

A song from 2nd hasn't qualified since Nathan Trent. But every song on this position was hopeless from the get-to. I dont consider Vincent Bueno hopeless.

In any case, I wished the running order was not deliberate. It's tilted towards bookies' favourites.

I could also see a weak uptempo song at 2nd, such as Poland, Czechia or Serbia.

If Estonia/Austria come at 2nd, than there is trouble for the running order. They should come at 4th and 8th or so.

Czechia looks like the opener for me.

Last edited:

Datura

i'm actually pretty sure austria will NOT perform as 2nd, as you said there are almost only uptempo songs in the first half so i guess the "slower" songs will most likely get positions 3 or 4 and 7 or 8

Ezio

Veteran
With ad breaks, there will be performance orders from 1-6, 7 to 12 and 13 to 17 in any case.

Estonia and Austria both male power ballads, certainly not performing both in the same section.

Austria maybe more likely in 1 to 6, right after or before San Marino or Serbia. Estonia has a lot of oomph but is the only ballad left from the 1st half to balance 7 to 12.

1st Czechia (male solo up tempo)
2nd Serbia (female group up tempo)
3rd Austria (male solo ballad)
4th Greece (female solo uptempo)
5th Poland (male solo mid tempo)
6th Moldova (female solo uptempo)
-Break-
7th Estonia (male solo ballad)
8th San Marino (female solo uptempo, favorite)
9th Iceland (male lead, favorite)
10th Albania (female solo ballad)
11th Denmark (male duo, uptempo)
-Break-
12th Finland (male duo, rock) wake up after the break
13th Georgia (male solo, ballad)
14th Latvia (female solo, uptempo)
15th Portugal (male lead, ballad)
16th Bulgaria (female solo, ballad, favorite)
17th Switzerland (male solo ballad favorite)

From 1 to 6, everyone is a non-favorite, but Austria gets the chance to shine the most, if it is staged impactfully.

From 7 to 17, up to 9 countries are likely to qualify, so Austria needs to snatch the only spot left.

illustrado

I don't see him as chanceless in the televote.
he can court two demographics.
1)Filipinos. if he plays it right and get a spot in a local show. (may be in abs-cbn which is he has connections to ( he can mobilize people like how Jollibee get a Huge lines in Europe when it opens.
2) the Jesus fandom. maybe hype his spiritually and be the unti-cyprus. (slovenia can also do that route)

seeing as a semifinal is essential a fan final and therefore less votes. i can see a massive upticks of notwe for kuya vincent to qualify

Lindon

The only thing that worries me is the approach of Marvin Dietmann. He always seems to discover his fondness for minimalism for the Austrian entries.
That worked out well for Pænda.
Like Andi Knoll, I imagine explosions ala ll Volo and fireworks here. The fact is that more is actually more at the Eurovision Song Contest. As Sandra Dee supposedly once said "People hear what they see"

Ezio

Veteran
Let’s not forget, he staged Germany 2017, which was a non event. I don’t want Amen to be minimalistic.

Paenda’s staging was amazing. She killed herself there, was not someone else’s faul. I always cringe hard at her singing.

Ezio

Veteran
I don't see him as chanceless in the televote.
he can court two demographics.
1)Filipinos. if he plays it right and get a spot in a local show. (may be in abs-cbn which is he has connections to ( he can mobilize people like how Jollibee get a Huge lines in Europe when it opens.
2) the Jesus fandom. maybe hype his spiritually and be the unti-cyprus. (slovenia can also do that route)

seeing as a semifinal is essential a fan final and therefore less votes. i can see a massive upticks of notwe for kuya vincent to qualify
I am not sure if Filipinos and Followers of Christ are an important demographic. Vincent just has to have shoot arrows into hearts, and I am not sure if a Marvin Dietmann staging can excactly deliver that. He strives for perfection and minimalism which can come across stale. Since his winning staging of 2014, he is made himself a name, but after 8 years, he still should wrestle his mind for new ideas. This year he is invested in 5 countries, among them is Bulgaria. He cannot afford to fail Bulgaria, since they are favourites, so what's he gonna do with Austria? I am slightly worried.

We have some notorious countries in the semi, that never vote for us, such as Albania, Serbia, Poland and Greece.
If I could change them, I'd pick Slovenia, Romania and Lithuania instead, and of course Germany is a big miss. Belgium too because we all know that Borris is gonna vote his heart out for us.

We also have some fierce allies with Switzerland, Bulgaria, and Georgia for some reason.

No reason to despair in advance. There are so many filler songs in this semi and each half is very one note, which gives us an advantage I am ready to despair if they got the call to the final and there would be only 3 countries left with the big favourites yet to be called.

Last edited:

illustrado

I am not sure if Filipinos and Followers of Christ are an important demographic. Vincent just has to have shoot arrows into hearts, and I am not sure if a Marvin Dietmann staging can excactly deliver that. He strives for perfection and minimalism which can come across stale. Since his winning staging of 2014, he is made himself a name, but after 8 years, he still should wrestle his mind for new ideas. This year he is invested in 5 countries, among them is Bulgaria. He cannot afford to fail Bulgaria, since they are favourites, so what's he gonna do with Austria? I am slightly worried.

We have some notorious countries in the semi, that never vote for us, such as Albania, Serbia, Poland and Greece.
If I could change them, I'd pick Slovenia, Romania and Lithuania instead, and of course Germany is a big miss. Belgium too because we all know that Borris is gonna vote his heart out for us.

We also have some fierce allies with Switzerland, Bulgaria, and Georgia for some reason.

No reason to despair in advance. There are so many filler songs in this semi and each half is very one note, which gives us an advantage I am ready to despair if they got the call to the final and there would be only 3 countries left with the big favourites yet to be called.
I think we already saw the staging. in the music video. we see the space going from the trench that looks like he's six feet under to a small closet. the full stage up to the rooftop of Vienna. i can see them translating the language in Rotterdam. maybe some fireworks for emphasis. and i think better CGI for the crow and add something to emphasis that his under the grave. maybe Conchita looking down at him

Ezio

Veteran
I think we already saw the staging. in the music video. we see the space going from the trench that looks like he's six feet under to a small closet. the full stage up to the rooftop of Vienna. i can see them translating the language in Rotterdam. maybe some fireworks for emphasis. and i think better CGI for the crow and add something to emphasis that his under the grave. maybe Conchita looking down at him
The music video does not have a lot of appeal, honestly. It didn't elevate the song. I hope the staging is more personal amd relatable.

mauve

Veteran
I truly hope that Bueno will qualify. I don't even want to think otherwise because that would make me really sad. And the staging definitely is a key because the video was a nice idea, but underwhelming.

Top Bottom