17 9.2%

14 7.6%

13 7.1%

6 3.3%

6 3.3%

24 13.0%

• Total voters

RomanFromRussia

Thank you juries for making this finish 16th. Nathan didn't deserve such result, he deserved so much higher positions. I hope he won't upset and he is going to keep on working on his music career. He has all the possibilites to become great musician.

aef

Wiktoria ranked :at: 2nd of course... xlove

aef

I just realized that our jury didn't give any points to :au:! xlove xclap

genreJake09

thought the lyrics were cliche - should of expected it going off the songs title. however the song suited austria and he's very likeable. austria can do much better than this, and I look forward to 2018.

Ezio

Veteran

Chorizo

Those 0 points were hilarious. I love the new voting system! In the old one, only Germany and Spain would have been worse. :D
Some people said during the rehearsals that Nathan's fantastic staging would stand out. It turns out, the audience doesn't care about a shiny moon and pink clouds. xshrug
I hope Austria will send something more interesting next year.

genreJake09

people saying it deserved higher than 16th hm, personally for me a eurovision song or eurovision winner isn't something you are desperate to listen to again (perhaps there is where I differ with a few people on the forum) outside of eurovision. just because a song can chart well doesn't mean it deserves to do better

whereas in the past a eurovision winner was something you would want to listen to again, I think eurovision is changing (for a third time

Franzilein

I was surprised he did well with the juries and bad with the public vote. I expected the opposite :confused:

Quent91

Re: AUSTRIA 2017

0 points from the public ? so underrated ! such a shame ! plus he's a quite charming boy (no gay lol). the song is sweet and he took some pleasure to sing it, I could see :)

Ezio

Veteran
Re: AUSTRIA 2017

0 points from the public ? so underrated ! such a shame ! plus he's a quite charming boy (no gay lol). the song is sweet and he took some pleasure to sing it, I could see :)

Well, Austria is always more likely to receive 0 points from the public than other countries due to the lack of alliances and diaspora, when we dont have a song that aims for the win. The 11th country in the televote only received 42 points this time. Many countries received points in single digits or low double digits. Even the Netherlands, Armenia, Azerbaijan or Ukraine, all either praised a lot more or with stronger allies.

So I think that like in 2015, the public almost unanimously agreed on the Top 10, that there were no air left for the rest, and Austria ran out of air completely.

Lucky we have jurors that judge beyond instant appeal. 93 points is our third highest jury score of the decade.

A song should have at least a winning appeal, but if it's clear it can't win, it won't score either enough to avoid last place. Same with Germany, everyone said she wouldn't last place, but no one said she would deserve to win. We don't get vote who should be last but who should win.

I am fine with the result and quite used already to accepting last places.

Ezio

Veteran
Austrian charts are out: Overall 2017 is commercially much more successful than 2016, but much less than 2014 and 2015.

Charts entries (Televoting points)

#14 :be: Blanche (8)
#18 :at: Nathan Trent
#22 :pt: Salvador Sobral (12)
#27 :md: Sunstroke Project (3)
#34 :ro: Ilinca feat. Alex Florea (10)
#57 :it: Francesco Gabbani (6)
#60 :bg: Kristian Kostov (7)
#73 :no: Jowst (0)

Realest

Good Singer but low Song. It would have been the better choice to give this high jury points to Zoe last year instead of to him.

Ezio

Veteran
Tomorrow Nathan releases the Italian version of his ESC entry tomorrow. Fino a che volerò.

No one will buy it but anyway.

Ezio

Veteran
The televote debacle in numbers:

11th :mt:
12th :dk:
14h :de: :sl: :ch: :nl:
15th :be: :hr: :hu: :il: :it:
16th :ie:
17th :ee: :no: :pt: :ro:
18th :is: :uk:
19th :am: :cy: :se:
20th :by: :gr: :sm: :rs:
21st :lt: :me:
22nd :al: :az: :ge: :lv: :pl: :es: :ua:
23rd :mk:
24th :bg:* :cz: :fi: :fr:* :md:*

* 2nd to last

Actually quite decent rankings that reflect the overall ranking of 16th place.

Makemakes did way worse in 2015, ranking consistently 24th and lower in most of Europe.

Ezio

Veteran
The Spanish version "Aire" is fantastic - bubbly, tropical and modern. This beat would have brought some televotes. "Running on air" just was too beige, "Aire" is fierce.

tuorem

My review of "Running On Air":

-Austria is one of those unpredictable ESC nations I tend to not have particular expectations about because their entries can be either incredibly mediocre or surprising in a good way. "Loin d'Ici" was a good surprise to me and, given their decent final placing, I feel like they tried to follow the same "feel-good/happy/light-hearted" recipe by sending "Running On Air". BUT the thing is Zoë's song and Nathan's song are two extremes of the same spectrum imo: the first was lively, catchy, naive yet fresh; while the second was just pure dullness. It's one of those manufactured American finger-snaps-and-guitar kind of "feel-good" song that I can't stand. The music, the voice, the structure, the stripped-down arrangements are just so mundane and all-heard-before: I get it might appeal to some people - each to their own - personally I'm under the impression I've heard the same exact song countless times on the radio before. And worse than that, it's quite similar to Malta's 2013 entry "Tomorrow", which I didn't like either. More generally, the wishy-washy guitar-driven happy-clappy or schmaltzy songs a la "Me And My Guitar", "One Thing I Should Have Done", "Da Da Dam", "Tomorrow", "Running On Air" are a no go for me. Sorry, but I don't find anything positive to say about this song: it's literally a copy and paste of some bland American summer song that didn't stir anything in me but revulsion and didn't add anything to this 2017 Eurovision edition imo. Pros: Error 404, page not found. Cons: The song in its entirety.

Given my obvious bias, I'm not sure there is a real highlight in this song. I'd say the pre-chorus starting at "And I’ll keep running as fast as I can" is the part that annoys me the least.

-Vocally, Nathan didn't have any trouble carrying the tune and singing it with conviction. His vocal tone was actually not that grating, but the song was so dull and cheesy that that it made his voice sound dull as well. With a better song, I'm confident I'd have appreciated his vocal skills. Both his semi and final live performances were great and pretty much similar to the studio version, minus the dodgy high notes.

-Visually, I think the Austrian team did a good job at staging the song. It started out with a closeup of Nathan's face with a blue background and series of yellow spotlights behind him, which was a nice way of highlighting the big silvery moon crescent. I didn't mind that prop actually. There was smoke on the floor to give an aerial vibe to the presentation (like Belarus). As the song developed, pink clouds appeared in the background and the sky progressively brightened to a cyan shade. The fact Nathan stood on the moon quite a long time was nice, there was some great camera angles that rendered the dreamy feel they were probably going for (the graphics looked expensive). Nathan then jumped from the prop and the sky turned red and stormy. Past the second chorus, it didn't change much though. During the "bridge", the earth appeared and backing vocalists joined Nathan for the final 30 seconds. Finally, Nathan pretended to walk on air at the end: the idea was cute, but the camera shot wasn't optimal imo, I hadn't noticed this detail until now :lol: Outfit-wise, Nathan wore rather casual clothes: a shirt, a tracksuit and regular pants, all white (again!). Nothing particular, even though the colour obviously made him stand out from the background. The winged shoes were cute though, they would have deserved a shot or two, as they were almost unnoticeable. Overall, I liked the presentation: the colours were tasteful (even though there was too much blue towards the end), the cloudy sky looked good; I just wished there were more twists as there was lots of wide shots throughout the performance and nothing special happening at times.

Results-wise, I expected Austria to fail in the semi and, the fact they didn't kind of upset me because they were the last qualifiers to be announced (how anti-climatic!). As soon as I saw the final draw, I knew they wouldn't do well with televoters sandwiched between Belarus (a much more enticing happy song) and Armenia (original song and elaborate visuals). The final result exceeded my expectations as I didn't see that big fat zero coming :eek: I'm not mad at it though, this song was already lucky enough to be in the final due to the massive jury support. 16th place overall is still way too high for that cliché to me though, I'm glad they didn't beat the placing of "Loin D'ici": it's funny how with those two songs - whose "feel-good" purposes were similar - Austrians successively pleased one party and turned off the other. In my ranking, "Running On Air" is locked in my bottom 10, it definitely didn't get me walking on air. To me, this song shouldn't have qualified to begin with, when other songs clearly had more musical merit in my book. See you next time guys, I low-key hope the big fat zero will dissuade you from sending another piece of nothing like this year. Fingers crossed, maybe you'll manage to get points from both juries and viewers in 2018 :) Keep the faith!

Top Bottom