Contact us

Australia and Sweden

Preuss

Probably the two most controversial countries among Eurovision fans for some reasons. After following Sweden's 2018 forum you'd think that Benjamin's the worst person in the world. Australia gets a massive bunch of dislikes (30-50%) on YT videos minutes after being posted before it evens out to a representable measure of what the majority really think of the entry.

Now I'm not accusing anyone here for being haters or whatever, but I invite you all to an objective debate about Sweden and Australia's participation in this contest.

I'm sure some sticky words will be:

- overrated by juries
- playing too safe
- generic songs

mauve

Veteran
Well, saying that many of us think that Benjamin is the worst person in the world is really overexaggerated. To me, the Sweden song was actually okay, it was not in my top 10 obviously, but not in my bottom 10 either. He was somewhere in the middle. But sometimes being mediocre can be worser than being worse. As for Benjamin in Person, we can't say much about him, besides - I admit it - I find him somewhat too self-confident. Also don't like the way he Dances and the way he sings. Not my cup of tea. But Sweden was all in all still better than some other entries, but yes, as you indicated we would say it: completely overrated by the juries. As for Australia, the song is not good and not bad. Also somewhere in the middle, but what turned me off was that she couldn't sing live at all. She sounded terrible. So what I think is that objectively, the Music taste can differ between each and everyone. But what you can say is that Benjamin can at least hit the notes as for Jessica, she can't clearly.

Realest

Sweden works hard for the Success. Although I dont always agree with the High Juryscores (2013/14/17) I can recognize why Musicprofessionals like their Songs.
The Theory that Juries vote for Sweden nomatter what they send, is ridiculous.

Australia is still a huge Problem. Especially Nordic Juries exaggerate it with their Jurypoints.

lolita

Sweden works hard for the Success. Although I dont always agree with the High Juryscores (2013/14/17) I can recognize why Musicprofessionals like their Songs.

Australia is still a huge Problem. Especially Nordic Juries exaggerate it with their Jurypoints.

Preach! And are people serious with this tread!? How much they are going to throw tantrum, isn't is been enough?!!!!! Mind your own countries' business, Sweden and Australia both have to choose songs that they like and want. Get over it! -.- Not you, [MENTION=15870]Realest[/MENTION], but all those haters. And isn't it easier to buy televote? Christer is producer, he should order then ESC hosts not to humiliate Benjamin in front of whole Europe, like we all would know that he has 21 points, he should read him in top 10, easily, if they wanted to buy something! Enough with this shit! Hatred just must stop, there is no place for that and other controversies in the music competition. :( :mad:

lolita

And we discussed this already countless times on the "Yearly Jury Hate Thread", "General Discussion Thread", Australian and Swedish thread of 2018, which makes 4 THREADS full of bad words, hatred and fights, I just don't see the point of making new one thread full of hatred and fights between members. Really childish and stupid. Free time in some people's lives really does wonders here. :rolleyes:

LalehForWD

Maybe because Australia has the same approach as the Nordics? And their selections fits what we expect and like? I agree that Swedes tend to have positive expectations of Australia and perhaps is extra observant of their entries. Maybe it gives them a favour or two, but you can probably see similar patterns in every jury.

Alaska49

australia and sweden BOTH represent a direction for the contest pushed by juries that some fans do not enjoy. australia has the additional factor of, you know, not even being in the vicinity of europe. it's a lot more innocent than people think. at least nobody is turning it into a screed against the fate of humanity like they do with netta's victory or the existence of russia lol.

"sweden works hard for its success" is absolute bullshit as an argument, btw. several countries have worked harder than the garbage fire melfest has become and don't see nearly similar results.

Realest

"sweden works hard for its success" is absolute bullshit as an argument, btw. several countries have worked harder than the garbage fire melfest has become and don't see nearly similar results.

The Quality of the Melfest (or any other NF) in the Width is not important for Eurovision, the Quality must be high on the Top. Maybe You remember how horrible Moldovas NF 2017 was and we all know how it ended.... And also Sweden is among the best Countries regarding Staging and Performances.

lolita

The Quality of the Melfest (or any other NF) in the Width is not important for Eurovision, the Quality must be high on the Top. Maybe You remember how horrible Moldovas NF 2017 was and we all know how it ended.... And also Sweden is among the best Countries regarding Staging and Performances.

Oh, I am just giving up explaining! Everyone will think what they think, just like you and I will continue to share love for mainstream pop-bop songs and music overall. There is no point of this discussion, in my opinion. :lol::lol: And Sweden cares lot about Eurovision, unlike other countries, that is fact, not even questionable. And here obviously mainstream pop song equals for crap song and music, and that is the thing I won't get anyway. I always say let different genres to be, then someone will find something for themselves to love and enjoy.

Alaska49

the quality of NFs matter because it's literally what they will end up sending to eurovision. you can only polish a turd for so long, as australia is learning. (or not learning.) sweden is going down the same path. this year they had no good options for success, it showed in their ratings and televote results, and if nothing changes it's only going to get worse.
Oh, I am just giving up explaining! Everyone will think what they think, just like you and I will continue to share love for mainstream pop-bop songs and music overall. There is no point of this discussion, in my opinion. :lol::lol:
yet here you are every time someone says something bad about sweden ready to discuss it while every time passive-aggresslively claiming there is no point to discuss anything. be honest with yourself. i am open about the fact i am abrasive and ready to discuss the most trivial shit lol.

lolita

the quality of NFs matter because it's literally what they will end up sending to eurovision. you can only polish a turd for so long, as australia is learning. (or not learning.) sweden is going down the same path. this year they had no good options for success it showed in their ratings and televote results, and if nothing changes it's only going to get worse.
yet here you are every time someone says something bad about sweden ready to discuss it while every time passive-aggresslively claiming there is no point to discuss anything. be honest with yourself. i am open about the fact i am abrasive and ready to discuss the most trivial shit lol.

Hahaha, I know, that is true! I left two posts, I meant I won't discuss it to the endless point, but I will maybe discuss it from time to time, :lol:because point is that music is subjective thing. What is considered awful and weak song for someone, in other person's opinion it would be considered masterpiece maybe, and awesome song. There is no particular rule about music. Whole Europe thinks DYO sucks and is sh*t, but it will always stay my favorite Swedish entry after Loreen and Sanna. :D It is just someone's taste. Whole Europe think Toy is masterpiece, and I don't, I find it just ok, but I appreciate their opinion, though. It is deserved winner, if everyone likes it. When I say I won't discuss something, it actually means I won't be agressive enough to make my opinion only right and acceptable here as most of people in discussions tend to do, because everyone will think what they think anyway, I can't do anything to change that and I shouldn't. :D And it is not that I am Sweden lover usually, beacuse I don't have anything from it, it is not even my country, I just don't love all madness surrounding it. I guess I would defend even some other country if it would be treated so negative. I understand though why all this negativity and pressure are here, because Sweden is overrated and something similar, it is not that it is not completely true, of course, but I don't see point of attacking the country so much, because of music competition, it should be just for fun. But I guess I must learn that every true Eurofan takes the contest more seriously and with passion. :) Sometimes it looks like fans will create Third World War because of the results and injustices here or there. :lol:

Preuss

"Sweden works hard for their success"

Obviously Sweden has money, but they really put an effort into their ESC entry. Now I haven't liked Frans, Robin or Benjamin's songs after winning Melfest, but grown into liking their entries (song and performance) and I'm okay with their placings.

I personally don't disapprove of sending so called "jury songs" to the competition
then Australia was 12th with the juries this year so they weren't really overrated as many people claim them to be after Isaiah's fourth place with the juries

Preuss

Maybe because Australia has the same approach as the Nordics? And their selections fits what we expect and like? I agree that Swedes tend to have positive expectations of Australia and perhaps is extra observant of their entries. Maybe it gives them a favour or two, but you can probably see similar patterns in every jury.

Didn't get any televote points from Sweden this year though, and was ranked rather low by Finland and Iceland

FilipFromSweden

Having international juries became a trend in national finals after Sweden did it first. I think my nation is really aware of trying to send something polished that is going to work in Eurovision: this year we saw it backfire almost since it was too polished and ''perfect'' in a way that it felt cold and distant to the average viewer.

What I'm trying to say is that Sweden had awful years 2005-2010 (minus 2006) and we stepped it up after, we have years of failure ahead of us and another nation can be subject of hate. Azerbaijan is getting their rest right now

lolita

Question is:"Which country is next victim of its own success?" Azerbaijan-Sweden-??? :lol:

Citelis

Sweden, Australia, Austria, Netherlands and Malta in recent years are overrated by juries! Not much but they are! Poor Malta is too underrated by the televoting!

FilipFromSweden

It's funny how a nation can only be overrated by the juries if the televoters don't agree/praise them as much or even more. Ofcourse I understand the principle of how televotes have a much higher value in a way, but at the same time I keep in mind that you shouldn't hate the player but rather the game. Televote would've been much different if each televoter ranked the songs 1-26 just like the juries do, instead we pick up our phone and vote for a couple of favorites.

Realest

Sweden, Australia, Austria, Netherlands and Malta in recent years are overrated by juries! Not much but they are! Poor Malta is too underrated by the televoting!

Malta is only overrated by the Juries, while the Televotings are always deserved.

Alaska49

then why doesn't ebu change the jury voting? have each juror distribute 20 points like a televoter, add the five jurors together and get a top 10. there should be no danger of less than 10 countries getting points if jurors are doing their thing right.

Citelis

Malta is only overrated by the Juries, while the Televotings are always deserved.

I think that Malta's entries are not that terrible to deserve last place in the semi-finals! They are not good but still not for last place!

Top Bottom