8 5.3%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Looren

Veteran
Australia's issues has been how utterly safe and grey most their entries have been, they make Sweden look like left-field and alternative in the contest :lol:

I agree with this, even if I like most of their entries they were all very safe

I absolutely loved their last year entry, the emoshen xheart

But yeah come on Aussie, give us some risk

rasmuslights

Veteran
I disagree, Dami Im and Guy were big fat MEHs, Jessica's song was alright but with a bad performance, and don't get me started on Isaiah...

Sheldon was in the same league of MEHness, I agree, but all internal selections were just extremely safe entries with no character. Maybe some of those artists are good performers, but the songs...

Although I was rooting for Electric Fields in the NF, to dismiss Kate is just a big no no, that remains the best Australia sent so far. Montaigne was still musically speaking one of the few times Australia at least tried something a bit different.

One of Australia's issues has been how utterly safe and grey most of their entries have been, they make Sweden look like left-field and alternative in the contest :lol:

i find kate's entry and presentation too cheesy and trying to appeal to eurovision audiences.

montaigne's 2020 is actually my fave australian entry, 2021 was not that good (though original).

at least guy, dami im and jessica knew how to perform. one can't deny that.

but agree, australia is a very safe country.

hijirio

Veteran
Poor Montaigne :( for once Australia sent something daring, but she was left out in such a cruel way. I hope Australia once again thinks out of the box and sends an original entry

A-lister

Veteran
i find kate's entry and presentation too cheesy and trying to appeal to eurovision audiences.
It was just the right "over-the-top" to make it a modern Eurovision classic...
montaigne's 2020 is actually my fave australian entry, 2021 was not that good (though original).

at least guy, dami im and jessica knew how to perform. one can't deny that.
Dami Im can sing, conventionally, that's it... I wouldn't call her a good performer though, she's super stiff just like the song was. Guy is a good performer, but again the song was again bland and safe... Jessica, I dunno what happened to her, the performance was a bit of a hot mess.
but agree, australia is a very safe country.

He we agree I guess :)

Preuss

It was just the right "over-the-top" to make it a modern Eurovision classic...

Dami Im can sing, conventionally, that's it... I wouldn't call her a good performer though, she's super stiff just like the song was. Guy is a good performer, but again the song was again bland and safe... Jessica, I dunno what happened to her, the performance was a bit of a hot mess.

He we agree I guess :)

SJB's infamous terrible stagings happened - destroying some and working wonders for others. Poor Jess who seemed to lose all her confidence after the 1st rehearsal's mixed reviews.

The thing about Jess is that she's a pretty inconsistent performer (vocally that is), and it's clear as day that the negative reviews of her first rehearsal affected her. So she wasn't really prepared to do ESC, I suppose. Like I reckon if the staging was there in the first place, she would've delivered Australia another great result. Her semifinal performance I still like though

Edit: i forgot to add that their HoD said they had multiple staging plans for Jess but NONE went through. What the hell? just poor planning and execution by SBS. We Got Love had so much potential that got thrown away

Last edited:

Preuss

Poor Montaigne :( for once Australia sent something daring, but she was left out in such a cruel way. I hope Australia once again thinks out of the box and sends an original entry
I feel like she was completely thrown under the bus by SBS, she didn't deserve that treatment from them. Montaigne said in an interview with a radio once she released Technicolor that she was 99% sure she would be in the Netherlands and perform lol. I wonder what would happen if ABC took over Eurovision for a year or two though, seeing that they did so with Australia in jESC, and now that SBS has taken over again, they don't bother to even send a performer to Armenia :confused:

How much money does even SBS have for Eurovision? Like we know that Kate had to raise a fundraiser to pay for more than half of her entry, and Sheldon said that he did "everything" himself for Eurovision since he was an independent artist, and I interpreted that as if he basically told us that he paid something himself. Financial reasons were probably why Montaigne didn't go to the Netherlands as well, at least that's what I thought... They used to get most of their cash from Sony I imagine, no?

Oh and about Sony, which is what I was going to write here in the first place; Samantha Jade said that she would like to do Eurovision in an article this year. I know people want to see Australia do something "daring", but I've always wanted to see her in Eurovision anyway lol

Mainshow

Veteran
Samantha Jade would make me probably vote for :au: for the very first time :D
(my dad voted once fore Jessica, though :D)

Mrlazzyjazzy

Samantha is not with Sony anymore, but I think she would do a Kate and sign with a major if she got the gig. If we have Samantha also DNA would be back. I wouldn't hate it at all haha.

Preuss

Samantha is not with Sony anymore, but I think she would do a Kate and sign with a major if she got the gig. If we have Samantha also DNA would be back. I wouldn't hate it at all haha.

DNA songs need strong live performances, both visually and vocally. Dami nailed it.

But scrolling through "australian eurovision" group page on facebook, seems like Australia may go for an internal selection this year and not do a national final?

Mainshow

Veteran
DNA songs need strong live performances, both visually and vocally. Dami nailed it.

But scrolling through "australian eurovision" group page on facebook, seems like Australia may go for an internal selection this year and not do a national final?
What gives you the impression that Australia may choose their entrant internally next year?

Preuss

What gives you the impression that Australia may choose their entrant internally next year?

Just because I was looking for some news of Australia Decides next year as I thought they usually would announce something by now. And then this guy in the Facebook group says so and that he has a reliable source, and I also remember Matt saying there were rumors about internal selection in his previous live stream

Mainshow

Veteran
That's interesting! I haven't really been following rumors lately.

If they go for an internal selection, please let it be someone somewhat well-established

Preuss

I think there's a bigger chance to get someone big when doing an internal selection, but Kate really brought it as well. I do like when Australia internally selects just because they've been able to get some really good artists doing so (despite the final product not always being as great)

Mainshow

Veteran
I think there's a bigger chance to get someone big when doing an internal selection, but Kate really brought it as well. I do like when Australia internally selects just because they've been able to get some really good artists doing so (despite the final product not always being as great)
I still hate Kate's entry and it was the entry I hated the most that year (in the Grand Final) BUT she as vocally impressive and had one of the most mesmerising performances of the whole night.

Actually, I think that Australia has so much potential but the national finals have been kinda amateurish (in parts) and even though I somehow love the outcome (acts with some different types of artistry won), I personally preferred the singers and entries when Australia chose their entrant internally.
Maybe Australia can come up with an internal selection every 2nd year?

Looren

Veteran
An Aussie friend told me it'll surely be internal and that the likes of Voyager, Jaguar Jonze, Samantha Jade and a few others were asked to submit songs ;)

Preuss

I still hate Kate's entry and it was the entry I hated the most that year (in the Grand Final) BUT she as vocally impressive and had one of the most mesmerising performances of the whole night.

Actually, I think that Australia has so much potential but the national finals have been kinda amateurish (in parts) and even though I somehow love the outcome (acts with some different types of artistry won), I personally preferred the singers and entries when Australia chose their entrant internally.
Maybe Australia can come up with an internal selection every 2nd year?

I think the NFs have been pretty good, I just think we expect more from Australia without thinking of the fact that SBS doesn't have that much money. Many of the acts on the stage look like they had a budget of 10 dollars.

Preuss

An Aussie friend told me it'll surely be internal and that the likes of Voyager, Jaguar Jonze, Samantha Jade and a few others were asked to submit songs ;)

That sounds interesting. So they're approaching the internal selection a bit differently then by having people submit songs and not search for an act and then give them a (DNA) song

Mrlazzyjazzy

Yeah Australia Decides would've been announced by now, I hope it's a major artist and not just a former contender from Australia Decides. Samantha isn't a major artist but she's a strong performer, would probably resign with a major and would take it very seriously.

Preuss

Yeah Australia Decides would've been announced by now, I hope it's a major artist and not just a former contender from Australia Decides. Samantha isn't a major artist but she's a strong performer, would probably resign with a major and would take it very seriously.

Yeah, looking back, previous editions were announced already in August.

What’s needed in Liverpool is enough resources to create a good performance though, and seems like the artists need the backing of their record labels or fund their entries themselves lol

Mrlazzyjazzy

Do you think there's a chance we're not competing next year? I really hope not but there's been radio silence.

Top Bottom