We can do whatever
Techni-technicolour
Techni-technicolour
If we care for one another
We can

Shine​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ali_

I don't think her not being there impacted the outcome. The performance was perfectly competent and visually good.

Preuss

Oh definitely, I'm pulling for Montaigne to get through this mentally. That is a bigger concern. But I guess if it hurts her career or she gets mistreatment through social media that could also affect her mental state?
I suppose it depends on what Montaigne herself expected going into the competition -- and the expectations of the people back home in Australia. This was the downfall of Jessica Mauboy -- too much expectations and hype and she couldn't handle the pressure that followed with it. Radio stations, artists, media said how amazing she was gonna be and it didn't happen. Someone said to her that she "nailed" the 1st jury rehearsal when it was obvious she didn't... I mean, who does that?

I hope Montaigne will be able to just brush it off... though it's easier said than done and I really feel for her as I never envy anyone doing poorly for a country after years of success

hawadharma

So sad that this doesn't qualify xcry

Performance wise, yes The effects and the dancers were on point..
But I think Montaigne looks too scared or worried throughout..

However, the song remains my Top 10 as it is fresh and carries a message.

Chin up. Montaigne!

crashworld

Veteran
Personally I think her not being there did hurt her chances. The song is pretty divisive though. She did what she can for the 'live-on-tape' performance. It was actually pretty good (her vocals were great), but she looked a little awkward/uncomfortable though. I think she was trying to focus not to screw her vocals up instead of actually bringing a fun performance.

I have doubts with the 'live-on-tape' performance sticking out like a sore thumb initially, but actually it didn't, until they pan out at the end of the performance. The dark background actually helped to blend in.

I hope she will come back again in the future. She deserves to.

Ezio

Veteran
That's my biggest loss of last night. She was on my YouTube playlist and I always put her into my Top 10.

But all the pre-announced NQ for her, made me ready to accept it.

mauve

Veteran
Very sorry for her. It is such an unique and progressive song, and I even liked the staging. But something lacked in Montaigne's presence. She wasn't convincing enough. I hope she won't be discouraged cause she is such a lovable personality.

ESC94

Sorry, but for me this was a totally deserved NQ, at some point she sounded like a heavy weight smashed her foot. (n)

jatojo

A bit sad to say goodbye to a song that is contemporary and not outdated like certain others. It was sharp and brave, but maybe her main audience isn't found among people who watch Eurovision. I associated it with Marina And The Diamonds - they are popular, but can also be annoying to some ears. In addition, the Australian stage show was visually rather noisy and probably put some people off. But that's how it is when you want to push borders.

Preuss

The choreography was a bit weird for this one though... and Montaigne didn't look like she was having fun -- I suppose she focused so much on the vocals that she wasn't able to convey the fun parts of this song. The staging was also rather dark

I'm already looking forward to next year though, Australia really bounced back last time they did poorly and I have faith they'll bring it next year xlove

Datura

i actually do think the prerecorded tape did not work in her favour, the energy was just totally different. (and i agree her face did not look happy during the entire song)
having said that i don't think she would have qualified anyway, the semi was too strong and the song was... special (i actually like it and had it among my personal qualifiers). i guess her chances in semi would have been a lot higher but it is what it is.

i really feel for her though, it's hard being the only artist not being there personally

CypriotGirl

Veteran
She was one of the best singers of the semi, her voice reminds me of Dolores O'Riordan, but IMO the song was horrible! Also, it was a really cold moment that it wasn't performed on stage like all the rest songs. I mean, there are arrangements for people who want to travel during pandemic like negative PCR tests and quarantine, couldn't they arrange something?

Preuss

I said it was more likely to be in the same gate as Isaiah and Jess Mauboy, but this effort was worse imo and my least favorite entry from Australia, I'm afraid. xthink

Montaigne couldn't be there in person, so there will always be that factor when you think of her participation in Eurovision, sadly. I'm still rather fond of "Don't Break Me" though, think it would've done rather well last year with the staging concept they had in mind. Such a pity that all of this happened though... Montaigne didn't deserve all of this

Looking forward to whatever will happen in 2022, but I really don't need to see Dami Im again...

Rasmus0714

She was one of the best singers of the semi, her voice reminds me of Dolores O'Riordan, but IMO the song was horrible! Also, it was a really cold moment that it wasn't performed on stage like all the rest songs. I mean, there are arrangements for people who want to travel during pandemic like negative PCR tests and quarantine, couldn't they arrange something?
A post from few pages before said they need to quarantine for 2 weeks after coming back (at their own expense, about 1M?) and Aussie gov just slashes the funding on entertainment industry?

Milos-BC

Expected result. The song itself didn't deserve to qualify but I feel bad for her. And I'm quite sure the outcome would've been totally different with "Don't break me". This song just didn't do any justice to her

NeoTen

This chorus though. It has all the good synth electro-pop things from the 80s. I do think her make-up wasn't appreciated. So sad it will probably go in the history books as the worst Aussie entry for the next 40 years.

Top Bottom