We can do whatever
Techni-technicolour
Techni-technicolour
If we care for one another
We can

Shine​

Last edited by a moderator:

Preuss

poor Montaigne but it was coming and not a big surprise... more from me coming later

tuorem

This was not a surprise. As Ana said, it's sad that their first NQ happens with Technicolor". Hopefully they won't get back to their DNA-penned demonic entries.

I was not quite impressed by the performance tbh. It was not bad, but something about Montaigne's energy was not enticing. Not to mention the song did not come alive live as much as I would have hoped.

With that being said, I will keep enjoying the studio version.

Ezio

Veteran
She was let down by the circumstances.

Brandt

No surprise.
The entry was simply horrible and it wouldn't be fair for them to qualify with a pre-recorded act.
But she also had no chance to use any gimmick with the staging. It was just plain darkness with some camera effects. :( She said that she would use a colorful staging with butterflies and such during an interview. I wonder what would come out of it.

ag89

Australia was ok, but in this semi they had no chance.

Pål Nordahl

I didn't think this song was strong enough to qualify and my suspicions were correct. I think Montaigne is an amazing person and really hope this won't hold her back.

A-lister

Veteran
Not surprised but she deserved to qualify still...

She did a fine vocal delivery for a song that is very difficult to sing live and the song is still one of the more interesting tracks this year and one of the better entries Australia ever sent...

If I will see this failing to qualify because of Sweden or Norway that had nothing to do in the final I will be sad :(

Lance Esgard

The saving grace for Montaigne is that people can put the non-qualification down to the live-on-tape situation (and technically Australia has still always qualified when it has actually performed live on location).

Otherwise, I would be more worried that like Anna Bergandahl, being the first non-qualifier has a risk of hurting Montaigne's career. At least when it came to how the mainstream media treated her. I hope nothing like that happens.

A-lister

Veteran
Otherwise, I would be more worried that like Anna Bergandahl, being the first non-qualifier has a risk of hurting Montaigne's career. At least when it came to how the mainstream media treated her. I hope nothing like that happens.

Anna actually is one of the MF acts that has a decent career here though, so NQ didn't harm her that much apparently...

Also, I think acts who are already big or in countries where the interest for the contest is big is risking more, from my understanding Montaigne isn't some big name really? And ESC is by far not such a big deal in Australia as in Sweden so it's not a "headline" story in that sense there I assume.

Preuss

The saving grace for Montaigne is that people can put the non-qualification down to the live-on-tape situation (and technically Australia has still always qualified when it has actually performed live on location).

I'm more worried about her mental state if I'm honest as she's openly expressed a fear of being the first NQ for Australia... poor girl. I mean, Jessica Mauboy went on hiatus for about a year after Eurovision, but went on having success after that. I'm not worried about Montaigne's career, more about how she'll cope with this situation

Lance Esgard

Also, I think acts who are already big or in countries where the interest for the contest is big is risking more, from my understanding Montaigne isn't some big name really? And ESC is by far not such a big deal in Australia as in Sweden so it's not a "headline" story in that sense there I assume.
The Sydney Morning Herald already has a story on Montaigne as front-page news for the Entertainment section. It is front page on News.com.au and The Canberra Times. Front page on the ABC and SBS, connected to their broader Eurovision coverage. So most of the major outlets have already covered it in a front-page way.

Australia is a very competitive nation, after all.

The loss is consistenty viewed as being due to being a remote performance.

A-lister

Veteran
The Sydney Morning Herald already has a story on Montaigne as front-page news for the Entertainment section. It is front page on News.com.au and The Canberra Times. Front page on the ABC and SBS, connected to their broader Eurovision coverage. So most of the major outlets have already covered it in a front-page way.

Australia is a very competitive nation, after all.

The loss is consistenty viewed as being due to being a remote performance.

I see, well I hope for Montaigne it's just a "news for the minute" thing and won't linger long... with Anna it did linger but she eventually made a pretty good comeback in the end of the day. What I meant is that in Sweden ESC is a big thing so it really can harm your career, but I dunno if it's going to be the case there?

I hope not...

Lance Esgard

I'm more worried about her mental state if I'm honest as she's openly expressed a fear of being the first NQ for Australia... poor girl. I mean, Jessica Mauboy went on hiatus for about a year after Eurovision, but went on having success after that. I'm not worried about Montaigne's career, more about how she'll cope with this situation
Oh definitely, I'm pulling for Montaigne to get through this mentally. That is a bigger concern. But I guess if it hurts her career or she gets mistreatment through social media that could also affect her mental state?

Lance Esgard

I see, well I hope for Montaigne it's just a "news for the minute" thing and won't linger long... with Anna it did linger but she eventually made a pretty good comeback in the end of the day. What I meant is that in Sweden ESC is a big thing so it really can harm your career, but I dunno if it's going to be the case there?

I hope not...
It shouldn't be close to the scale of Bergandahl, because Melodifestalavalen is one of the most watched shows in Sweden, whereas in Australia, Eurovision is more distant for the general public. Its like the Olympics... some people are big fans, but for most people it's a more distant thing that people follow in terms of the results.

But could it make it harder for Montaigne to become more mainstream? I don't know. I hope not. I think most Australian Eurofans had already made peace with Australia being a NQ.

Top Bottom