We can do whatever
Techni-technicolour
Techni-technicolour
If we care for one another
We can

Shine​

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowfuxcs

I believe this will be the nail in the coffin in terms of their non-qualification. It was already apparent that a lot of people were longing for Australia to stay in the semis. That could be an opportunity for them to compete in the future without the burden of being branded as the teacher's pet in esc that is always favored to get good results.

jatojo

Well, the two week quarantine rule has applied to most cultural activity in Australia. Ahead of Australian Open, the tennis tournament, foreign players were quaranteened for two weeks before starting the tournament. So it's not like it's very different for Eurovision.

But personally, I think it's too strict. There have been very few examples of major covid 19 outbreaks despite a lot of sporting events around the world. And when you travel as a delegation, it's fairly easy to control the spread of virus if such a thing were to occur. Besides, hasn't the elderly population of Australia been vaccinated?

theditz83

Veteran
Hopefully all viewers will give Australia a fair chance and judge Montaigne's performance as fairly and equally as possible in line with all other entrants. I suspect that's more of a pipe dream than I'd care to admit, but let me just live in that dream for a little while ;)

theditz83

Veteran
Besides, hasn't the elderly population of Australia been vaccinated?
Not by a long shot. From an article I read, based on the initial estimate the government had for their vaccine rollout by the end of March 2021, they only achieved 15% of the expected numbers. With the importance placed on vaccine rollouts on the reopening of international travel, it's clear that may be another important factor in this decision.

But Kaz's point on the deprioritisation of the arts in favour of sports events is definitely a sad trend to learn :(

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
I believe this will be the nail in the coffin in terms of their non-qualification. It was already apparent that a lot of people were longing for Australia to stay in the semis. That could be an opportunity for them to compete in the future without the burden of being branded as the teacher's pet in esc that is always favored to get good results.

...Or maybe Australia had good results because they sent actually good songs, unlike the unsuccessful countries like Slovenia, Portugal, Finland etc. which are always favoured by the fans (and not a single person outside of the bubble actually cares about 'em, judging by their result)???

This is where we are finally arrived, full on displayed xenophobia against countries which actually try. Justifying the desire of a group of miserable people to see countries failing in the contest despite sending good songs. Using a pandemic and the impossibility for the singer (which, "casually enough", is a girl) to travel to the site of the competition, to finally get their much desired fail for that specific country. How disgusting can it be?

burrito

...Or maybe Australia had good results because they sent actually good songs, unlike the unsuccessful countries like Slovenia, Portugal, Finland etc. which are always favoured by the fans (and not a single person outside of the bubble actually cares about 'em, judging by their result)???

a) which result? Portugal literally won in 2017. Finland won as well, and will be high on the scoreboard this year. So, not really unsuccessful. Also, weird statement about "nobody outside the bubble caring about them". Who outside the bubble cares about the result of any given country besides their own? Does anybody outside the bubble care about Australia's result in particular?
b) Are 2 televote points in 2017 and 9 in 2018 good results?

Preuss

Not good results? They've in the top ten four out of five times, that's pretty good... xthink

VikingTiger

It's sad for Montaigne that she will not be able to go to Rotterdam. I am sure that the Eurovision weeks are memories for life for all the contestants.
Will this affect the final outcome of Technicolour? Is all news good news? I dont think so... and I still think this is the year where Australia's journey stops in the semi.

ekzuu

So unfortunate.. I guess the govt didn't make an exemption for her then... which is insane, as I also know several Australians who have travelled to Europe. But at least it's not like Moldova or Albania with very limited resources, I think Australia's live on tape will be still world-class (at least I hope) and perhaps the transition is not noticeable. I think she would have struggled to qualify anyway. Let's see how it pays off, maybe she gets even extra representation and mentioning because of the situation and it gives her some boost. :unsure:

Preuss

I highly doubt the live-on-tape is worldclass

there will be 3 dancers though, I saw on the music first video

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
a) which result? Portugal literally won in 2017. Finland won as well, and will be high on the scoreboard this year. So, not really unsuccessful. Also, weird statement about "nobody outside the bubble caring about them". Who outside the bubble cares about the result of any given country besides their own? Does anybody outside the bubble care about Australia's result in particular?

I think what he was referring to the fact that both Finland and Portugal's track record at the contest have been underwhelming overall. Neither country managed to ever make the top 5 even though they have joined the contest in the 60s. Both have one exception and that is when they sent these unexpected amazing entries. And both countries have been taking part 51 to 53 times respectively. So I think it's fair to say while they wins were well deserved, statistically they haven't had much success. Though I personally feel that Finland deserved a whole lot better on many occasions but that is a story for another time :)

And I don't think it's accurate to blame Australia's success solely on the juries. Sure, they did better in most cases due to the juries. But this is where the televoters put the land Down Under in the semis.

2016: 2nd
2017: 15th
2018: 7th
2019: 2nd

2017 was the year of the big disagreement but that could have been an outlier. We only have four years worth of Semi-Final data available but I don't think it's fair to say that they're always guaranteed qualification. Also, in 2019 the televoter technically ranked Australia higher than the juries, so it's currently a 3:1 in favor of the juries which is not OUTRAGEOUSLY different.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned

Geez, this post is full of... I better not to say anything 'till I have my coffee

So, as it's difficult for me to reply to this post in a conversational way, I'll try to make a list instead, trying to remain as calm as I can:

1) One good result in between decades of continuous flops doesn't make a country successful in Eurovision.

2) This year, Finland has 50% of possibilities of flopping and 50% of possibilities of not flopping. Just like any other country, you like it or not. I wonder what you'll say if Finland flops, while one of the entries you dislike does well instead. In that case I'll make sure I'll have my popcorn ready.

3) Fans definitely picked up on Australia, only because the country exists and takes part in Eurovision. This is a disgusting behaviour because, as I already said, it borders on pure xenophobia. They are jealous of their results because they wish their favourite unsuccessful countries to get their results instead.

4) As I already showed in other posts and other threads, I'm a, how to say, "negationist of televoting", as in, I deny its relevance and importance whatsoever in the contest, so "televoting results" mean nothing to me, if they are, again, just a display of xenophobia, misogyny, poor musical taste, etc.

burrito

Geez, this post is full of... I better not to say anything 'till I have my coffee

So, as it's difficult for me to reply to this post in a conversational way, I'll try to make a list instead, trying to remain as calm as I can:

why are you getting so agitated out of the blue? :lol:
1) One good result in between decades of continuous flops doesn't make a country successful in Eurovision.
Allright, I see your point. For me, winning the whole contest at least once is a success, especially given that we have countries such as Poland or San Marino, which are even worse, but that's my opinion.

2) This year, Finland has 50% of possibilities of flopping and 50% of possibilities of not flopping. Just like any other country, you like it or not. I wonder what you'll say if Finland flops, while one of the entries you dislike does well instead. In that case I'll make sure I'll have my popcorn ready.
I strongly dislike Greece and Bulgaria this year and I am expecting them to do great so you can put that popcorn away. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

3) Fans definitely picked up on Australia, only because the country exists and takes part in Eurovision. This is a disgusting behaviour because, as I already said, it borders on pure xenophobia. They are jealous of their results because they wish their favourite unsuccessful countries to get their results instead.

You can dislike a certain country on Eurovision because you don't like songs they're sending. Especially if they've sent so few so far. For example, since I started watching the contest in 2014, Lithuania was sending songs I either hated or at least disliked - until 2020. Does it make me a healed xenophobiac or what?

4) As I already showed in other posts and other threads, I'm a, how to say, "negationist of televoting", as in, I deny its relevance and importance whatsoever in the contest, so "televoting results" mean nothing to me, if they are, again, just a display of xenophobia, misogyny, poor musical taste, etc.

As I said before, not liking a song =/= xenophobia. Musical taste is not something that can be measured or labeled as good or poor, because it is as subjective as it gets. You don't get to decide what is a good or poor taste, especially when you decide to ignore what thousands/millions of other people have to say in that regard. As for misogyny being displayed in televote results, I really can't see where you're coming from, but maybe there is some pattern I don't see, so I'm not going to agree or disagree on that. I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on that.

burrito

And I don't think it's accurate to blame Australia's success solely on the juries. Sure, they did better in most cases due to the juries. But this is where the televoters put the land Down Under in the semis.

2016: 2nd
2017: 15th
2018: 7th
2019: 2nd

2017 was the year of the big disagreement but that could have been an outlier. We only have four years worth of Semi-Final data available but I don't think it's fair to say that they're always guaranteed qualification. Also, in 2019 the televoter technically ranked Australia higher than the juries, so it's currently a 3:1 in favor of the juries which is not OUTRAGEOUSLY different.

I mean, I'm not saying that Australia only gets high places only thanks to juries. But given the fact their have only performed in the actual contest five times so far (not counting 2021 yet) and there were already two situations where the juries gave them a lot more points compared to the televote, it just looks... unfair? (I'm aware that's probably not the best word to use, but my limited English only goes so far).

ag89

I don't understand why you people still expect juries and televoters should agree: that's not the point of 50-50 system. And let's be fair, in 2017 Australia was not borderline jury qualifier: they came 2nd in the semi and 4th in the final. Pushing it to top 10, like 9th or 10th, would have been some sort of "let's at least bring you somewhere", but ranking it 2nd and 4th meant these jurors obviously had their own angle which they used to judge the song. And also, among all those jurors, I don't really think all of them were "Australia friendly". Most of them probably didn't care about the name of the country.

Last edited:

ag89

I mean, I'm not saying that Australia only gets high places only thanks to juries. But given the fact their have only performed in the actual contest five times so far (not counting 2021 yet) and there were already two situations where the juries gave them a lot more points compared to the televote, it just looks... unfair? (I'm aware that's probably not the best word to use, but my limited English only goes so far).
Australia is not the only case. Malta normally gets more points from jurors. Sweden quite often as well, or at least in recent years (2019, 2018, 2017, 2015, 2013...). I know it's hard to compare because these countries have been around for so long and have gone through different trends results wise, but I don't really think there is enough information or data to claim positive jury bias toward Australia just because it's Australia.

Preuss

People will say and claim whatever fits their agenda, there’s nothing new here, really

Top Bottom