13 9.2%

4 2.8%

5 3.5%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Australia-scaled.jpg

Tinchey

Here's my obligatory Australia hate comment: This will flop. Jokes aside, I really don't see what's intriguing in this song, it would've been successful in say 2013, so I do think it's a bit dated. Plus that art pop schtick doesn't look like a promising act. Eurovision is either about structured/choregraphed acts or playing with your stage presence/charisma. Montaigne lacks both, she needs to work on her breathing or ditch the choreo (which is needless to say ridiculous and way to abstract while it doesn't even resemble what contemporary dance is about). A bad choice would be hiring SJB for this, since this doesn't seem like her type of act. Anyway it's a shame Casey didn't win, and I am not surprised she won the televote. That would grant Australia a top 3 with juries. With Montaigne I am afraid we'll have to wait for the roster of songs to fill but I do think she will struggle unless changes (and good ones) are made.

Alaska49

every time someone says something good about casey donovan an eurovision angel loses their wings

Uto

Veteran
As for the ...[wall of text on originality vs professionalism ]... good or not.

This was rather insightful. Indeed originality for originality's sake is void.

What I have to add: there's a constant miasma pervading any argument about originality. As nice as originality may be in the eyes of many, there's also a negative which is that people tend to like that which is familiar and dislike that which is unfamiliar. Any song that strays too far from the norm is bound to run into that negative effect. Some xenophiles might be on board, but you're dropping the xenophobes. This is exactly why a lack of originality is actually generally a good thing. Yet, we really want stuff to be creative, be original. Luckily, at Eurovision, that negative effect of originality is effectively neutered because it does not matter how many people don't vote for you. You're trying to get as many first places as you can, doesn't matter if you finish last with everyone else. This dynamic I feel is the sole reason Eurovision still works as a contest for people like me. I don't like mainstream pop music at all, yet I'm in love with Eurovision. This is exactly because originality at Eurovision does get its proper rewards as long as the execution is there.

DaFlo

Banned
Damn Jaguar was good xheat too good for Eurovision

Don't Break Me.. another mid song by the books, doesn't excite me. 5 pts

hijirio

Veteran
To me the lyrics are kind of cliché. It feels like you're taking me for granted - I've given you everything I have, yeah. I have heard this a million times and therefore it is completely meaningless. It doesn't mix well with the 'original' staging either.
I like how they're in your face. Coming directly from her heart.
My favourite part is when she sings:
I lie awake while you're asleep
I listen to the sound
Of all the words I couldn't say 'til now

LoveTw

Just sort out the staging and make her stand there 3 minutes straight. Then I don't think they will have a problem qualifying.

Mimmon

Veteran
I was so hyped for Voyager band submitted the song but it was rejected
I accidentally discovered then 2 years ago... such amazing band.I really hope they come back next year..

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I feel a bit guilty writing negatively about Montaigne, I suppose as initially she was for me the most promising artist competing in this selection. Then she delivered what was a disappointment, and now after seeing the performance I've got even more problems. The let's be weird and super OTT quirky whilst delivering bland music problem. Something that so many artists, specifically indie pop stars suffered from in the 10s, where we went crazy for aesthetics and lost the heart and soul of music.

I give Don't Break Me a very generous 5 points. The song isn't exactly offending me but it really is something that goes in one ear and then out the other. It's not something I'd choose to listen to and I'm unsure even if I can make an effort with it. Montaigne is charismatic. The entry has got that going for it I suppose and a qualification is extremely possible if they totally set fire to whatever that performance was today. I really wish Australia could enter something cool and radical one day though cause they've so got it in them. I'll keep dreaming.

Last edited:

Fluke

Great staging, it's like a return to crazy noughties-style performances is really happening this year. I hope they don't change her appearance, or at least not to something more "normal", i like how the collar gives the effect that her head is floating in nothingness, along with her unique and expressive movements, very memorable and creativ, sure to make a big impact on viewers right away.

Vocally a so-so performance, giving her the benefit of doubt for now, but she really needs to nail those big notes at the end or it may be their first DNQ. The song itself.... not feeling super about it for now, but the performance really turns it into something original and worthwhile. It's certainly brave and overall a pretty good choice i'd say, Australia keeps on surprising rather than picking the same type of entry over and over!

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Of course the winner odds will go down. Odds don't mean shit this early. Montaigne could reach the top 10 (she's the first chosen artist who could), but her odds will drop once the actual winner (*cough* victoria) has released their entry.

Ezio

Veteran
Most boring 3 minutes of my life. Bad choice. If this song was chosen by Lithuania it would be considered a 100% flop.

The reason I dont listen to Ö3 are songs like these.

• Like It
Reactions: Neo

hijirio

Veteran
When Kate Miller-Heidke was chosen last year, everybody wrote Australia off from potential winners, but guess what, she won her semi and I guess not many would have been shocked had she won the whole thing. So I think it's too early to speak about Montaigne's chances. I really believe in her. And don't forget, she won the jury vote, leaving behind superpowers like Casey and Diana.

Uto

Veteran
Most boring 3 minutes of my life. Bad choice. If this song was chosen by Lithuania it would be considered a 100% flop.
What are you talking about? Exactly Lithuania is the country that is bound to get a lot of attention because Make Me Human is there, which has exactly the same problems Don't Break Me has, ie vocals aren't stellar and staging needs a lot of work.

Top Bottom