4 2.8%

5 3.5%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Australia-scaled.jpg

Uto

Veteran
The vocal argument was really working here. Casey did have the best pipes in the night. But also a reminder, Casey is the biggest name in the list (aside Vanessa of course). She has a lot of fans, and also the biggest following on Instagram as well. I don't think winning the televote would be a big problem for her with that big of a fanbase. As of Jack Vidgen, well...

For Jaguar herself, she's one of the smallest artist in this list. Yes, she's good, her song is great, her staging is also great, but she doesn't have that big support. Even that 20-something points was a great achievement for a newcomer like her.
Thank you for your answer, this explains a lot so me and Hayashi don't have to go fishing in our brains.

Miloutchi

Shaj getting revamped into a generic pop ballad is SUCH a slap in the face of the snobs who cheered when it beat Me Tana xheart Definitely my favourite serve of sweet delicious Karma during the 2020 NF season so far.
I don't understand why songs get revamped anyway. Do it good from the beginning. Do something and stick by it. People voted for it.

Sammy

Veteran
I did like the studio version a lot, actually it was one of my favorites. The live did not convince me though and I would have chosen Proud. But as things are as they are, I think this is a decent choice that gives Australia a good chance of qualifying again.

Uto

Veteran
I don't understand why songs get revamped anyway. Do it good from the beginning. Do something and stick by it. People voted for it.
I don't know. I would generally agree, but if there's an obvious way to improve something it should be done. Why stick with a sub-par product just because?

HayashiM

Veteran

I think it could come down to money. First you just try out with the means you have - once you get selected, you get the broadcaster and his resources behind your back, which opens a couple new possibilites. Plus, you have 2-4 months between you get selected and the actual contest, so when you want to give it your best, you might have that nagging feeling about improving whatever you can.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
That staging looked horrific. First lets state the obvious with that hideous clown collar make up and Rykka inspired blue hair. She looked like a parody show. Then the way she is throwing herself around the stage. Absolutely not. It just screams mess and looks like the mainstreams attempt at being edgy and failing horribly. As for the song, its not that bad tbh. I don't mind it, but her voice with it is just 1 big no. It just sounds so weak and strained as she is running about, on top of that a thick Aussie accent (which im not judging btw). People are right they lifted Kates staging last year so it looked epic, but they kept the general concept the same; just glammed it up. I fail to see how this staging can have the same effect, other than to bin it completely.

Edit: that said I'm sure the juries eyes are all blood shot and their hands rubbing together fiercely at tge thought of voting for this so Australia should be ok.

Miloutchi

I don't know. I would generally agree, but if there's an obvious way to improve something it should be done. Why stick with a sub-par product just because?
I think it could come down to money. First you just try out with the means you have - once you get selected, you get the broadcaster and his resources behind your back, which opens a couple new possibilites. Plus, you have 2-4 months between you get selected and the actual contest, so when you want to give it your best, you might have that nagging feeling about improving whatever you can.

Both valid points.

MalagaToledo

Banned
Congrats to Montagne. I haven't listened to the song, but I will listen to it this month. :au:xcheer

hijirio

Veteran
Can we hold on for a second and appreciate the beautiful lyrics of the song? Especially how they fit with the melody, it's beyond me. Aghhh I'm overwhelmed

Loindici

Veteran
As for the 'uh generic unoriginal so bleak and bland' argument, or usually the originality vs professionalism argument, I don't think something more 'original' should be appreciated just because they are more original, it still has to be executed well. Vice versa, something more standard/generic could be powerful and interesting if a good amount of execution is brought into it.

'1944' is an original idea, but say as example Jamala half-assed the production she might not actually win Eurovision, or even Vidbir. 'Ainaa mun pittaa' or whatever that is, is totally original, but who loves that?

'Arcade' might be your standard orchestral pop-rock sound, but it's really well thought-out, and its elements are really pleasant when combined together. 'Heroes' is also your usual dance track, but again, it's produced and executed really well, as well as 'A Million Voices' which is also your usual pop-rock peace anthem. The thought process between them made them original and established products of their own.

I don't think when a song sounds like it could belong to radio stations it could just be strikethrough'd as bland. I also don't think when something sounds like Katya Chilly, Elitsa & Stoyan or Mahmood it could be praised to the sky just because they're different. Execution will still decide whether a song is good or not.

Last edited:

Miloutchi

Can we hold on for a second and appreciate the beautiful lyrics of the song? Especially how they fit with the melody, it's beyond me. Aghhh I'm overwhelmed
To me the lyrics are kind of cliché. It feels like you're taking me for granted - I've given you everything I have, yeah. I have heard this a million times and therefore it is completely meaningless. It doesn't mix well with the 'original' staging either.

theditz83

Veteran
She sounds so pitchy live. Not a great performance, and I hear the trembling nerves throughout. Didn't mind the studio cut (middle of the road in terms of rankings) but this live was just very messy. Plus don't get me started on the clown theming - utterly horrific *shudder* :eek:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Teaisloveable

I'm just sat here like Dami is coming back in 2021?!?!

giphy.gif

But as for tonight, I honestly think Don't Break Me is a solid choice. Is it anything special? No. Will it qualify? Most probably. Is it a winner? No.
I did prefer Lesson of Love and Rabbit Hole, but I think Don't Break Me has a good chance of doing well... So long as they work on the staging and maybe the shaky vocals (?)
Like Loindici said, saying that a "generic", "unoriginal" song is bad just because its "generic" and "unoriginal" is honestly a bit silly. Songs don't have to be anything really unique to be good - Which I think is a common issue in the ESC community, sometimes its ok to just enjoy generic songs, and thats okay! It doesn't make you a hipster if you dislike it or a sheep if you like it :lol:
Not to say of course, that you're wrong if you don't like any songs like that, but at least let your taste and opinions dictate that, and not some weird rule on originality.
Perperoni pizza is generic and unoriginal, but if its done well its bloody delicious!

I don't think Australia need to worry about their track record at Eurovision this year, but they may need to try again for the winning spot.

Top Bottom