8 4.3%

24 12.8%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
australia_640.png

Mii11

Re: AUSTRALIA 2018

Well, I accepted that they are part of the contest (but I still think it's very unfair that Australia can participate and Kazakhstan cannot. Also I remember EBU didn't want Qatar to participate but it's much closer to Europe compared to Australia)

After two years of ballads, I hope they will send something more fast-paced. I would love to see Jessica Mauboy again as well :)

DanielLuis

I would actually really like the idea of a big Australian NF. But a lot of countries every year say that they plan on making a big NF Melodifestivalen style and then nothing happens.

NemesisNick

Will Australia even be allowed to take part in ESC 2018?

Remember their entry as a guest participant in 2015 was originally a one-off to commemorate the 60th ESC. They were invited back for 2016, and again in 2017, but whether or not they'll become a permanent participant is still uncertain.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Good news as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully the result will reflect why they wanted to be a part of Eurovision for 30 years rather than how to come top 5 once they get there.

ZoboCamel

Interesting idea! It has me both excited and terrified, though; it could very much go either way.

We've got plenty of good musicians here, and it'd be great to have some sort of choice in who represented us, but knowing the general Australian public's perception of Eurovision I can imagine they'd end up sending a joke act if one was available, or otherwise just whatever 'feels really Eurovision' (based on 20-year-old ideas of the contest). While I'd certainly prefer something more interesting than a fourth straight year of safe midtempo pop/ballads, I'd rather that not be Dustin the Turkey 2.0 or whatever Australian version of Josh Dubovie is lurking in the wings.

Of course, this all depends on whether we're invited back next year in the first place, but... it's an interesting proposition.

ZoboCamel

I've just listened through an ESC Insight interview with Australian HoD Paul Clarke, where he talks about the idea of a potential Australian national final, some behind-the-scenes stuff on 'AsiaVision', and more. I'd highly recommend listening through the whole thing, but I've provided a bit of a news release-styled summary below.

Discussing plans for a national final for Australia, Paul said: "I'm very keen on a Melodifestivalen kind of a scenario, where we build and we - well, maybe not a state-based one, but one where we say, right, we're going to take the best songs from the year, we're going to take the best artists that want to do this, we're going to connect them each with a song, and then we're going to just put on a couple of big shows, and see who the public and the judges go for."

He also acknowledges that it would 'take some time' to grow to the level of an MF-style contest, though, especially in terms of convincing established artists that it'd be in their interests to join a national final.

On the topic of AsiaVision, Paul said that talks have come across some issues due to complex political situations in the northern parts of the continent, most notably China. Representatives from Hunan TV told him, apparently, that they would not accept any situation in which Japan won the contest, and he also notes that there have been recent issues with China censoring performances from South Korean artists.

He indicated that there is a focus on trying to "deliver a show that is every bit as good as what Eurovision is here", which would involve ensuring sufficient funding and trying to bring across notable ESC figures like Christer Bjorkman, Jon Ola Sand and Sietse Bakker. The idea of an AsiaVision contest already has the support of large record companies, including Sony and Universal, he revealed.

"We're kind of halfway there [...] we're close," Paul said. The host location of the initial contest would depend on a number of factors, primarily related to funding; on this, he noted that both the Australian state of New South Wales, as well as its capital city Sydney, "have both indicated that they'll commit big funds" if allowed to host the inaugural contest. Similarly, he mentioned that Singapore proposed setting aside four million dollars to host, and that Hong Kong "have really made a play for it."

While noting that there are multiple ideas being floated for some kind of pan-Asian song contest, Paul expressed his preference for a specifically Eurovision style, saying the contest has "such a special format", and that "it's got more to it" than just being a competition. He has also indicated that he would "be the head of" any AsiaVision contest, that his business partner Stephanie would be the head of production, and that again he has been taking advice here from Bjorkman and Sand.

Stiven

Another interview with :au: HoD Paul Clarke :
According to him if there was a NF it would have an international jury (he mentions :dk: as a possible jury).

Fluke

If it keeps him away from Melodifestivalen then i'm for it!

CaspianMortis

Just send Dami Im again, so she can win the contest for real this time.

A-lister

Veteran

Another safe song and jury bias? Or maybe something slightly interesting for a change? Or how about EBU sticking to their own promises?

WhoKnows

Bold early prediction, Australia will be in the jury top 5 next year. Just a hunch I have. #eyeroll

LoveHate

If Australia enters I'm sure it's just a one time thing. Wait... Wrong year.

ParadiseES

Well, I guess that if Asiavision finally comes true Australia will not be part of Eurovision unless they win that new contest.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Gosh, I legit hope they stay. XD We need their diaspora/bloc votes. :lol: :lol: We got 0 from Ireland and Maltas juries this year. We cannot trust them. :lol:

Top Bottom