8 3.0%

8 3.0%

3 1.1%

0 0.0%

18 6.7%

• Total voters

aglm1988

Well...
Now the question is if Australia will return again for 2016 or maybe it's China's turn?

Sammy

Veteran
Well...
Now the question is if Australia will return again for 2016 or maybe it's China's turn?

Please! Don't start that discussion here also! There is awhole thread about it in the 2016 section!

tuorem

Time for me to review the Australian entry :D

Guy Sebastian - Tonight Again

Song: So Australia was in and I didn't know what to expect from them since I don't know anything about their music scene. Well... What to say? I've got mixed feelings about it. First, it's an uptempo song so this was so going to stand out this year anyway (in addition to the novelty that Australia is), but that does not necessarily mean that it's a good song imo. It's not bad either, it's supposed to be cheerful but it does not have a lot of character. Actually, it does sound very American and it's pretty much like any random song sung by American male singers for like 5 years. Somehow, I expected Australia to surprise me with this supposed "one-off" participation, but no. It remains very unadventurous. The song is catchy but quite repetitive, the theme is very conventional too, but whatevs. I guess (and hope) Australia had better acts to offer than this tbh... So my reaction to the song is: "meh".

Voice: Good performance from Guy, I mean he can sing live, there is no problem about it. However, I don't like his voice, which does sound like pretty much any average American male singer to me. Biologically, every human being's voice is unique, so why do I have the feeling people are sharing the same voice ad infinitum to sing? :lol: Is it mimetism or something?

Staging: I don't remember it well, I guess it was ok considering the whole act :mrgreen: I've no objection to express in this regard.

Outcome: This 5th place was expected, because it was Australia and because it was uptempo. But I don't agree with this high position, they should have been lower. Besides, I'm relieved that they didn't win. "Tonight Again" is not part of my top 10 and is even among my least favorite entries of this year. Imo, it was the second weakest song sent by the 7 prequalified countries (along with France), so it's a shame for me: even though I didn't approve of their participation, they could have brought some fresh air to this edition of the contest. Unfortunately not. Australia, if you come back next year (which seems likely for some reason :rolleyes:), please send something more daring! Thanks in advance.

SweetestBerry

Time for me to review the Australian entry :D

Guy Sebastian - Tonight Again

Staging: I don't remember it well, I guess it was ok considering the whole act :mrgreen: I've no objection to express in this regard.

just to refresh your faulty memory on Australia's unique performance which was up there with the brilliant Sweden, Belgium and Russia, and judges and televoters agreed!

Please let us Aussie's celebrate that we were honored with a ''one off" performance in the 2015 Eurovision and we did well for a first contestant country. We will not be back to bother EU people opposed to our participation again. Shame really we love Eurovision here in Australia.

tuorem

[MENTION=14472]SweetestBerry[/MENTION]

You'll be back next year ;) Don't worry, discussions are ongoing it seems.

And please do not take my opinion personally :p I don't have anything against Australia, but I believe Eurovision should remain a European contest. Otherwise, some changes must be made: rename the contest or create a Worldvision maybe...

And thank you for posting your performance but I'm still not impressed :? (and it also applies for Russia and Sweden). You got a great score and that's good for you. I just felt the need to post my opinion about your entry.

GRE

Australia does not love Eurovision, as much they want us to believe...
Ok the Grand Final was watched there from 300.000 people live (i know it was late night, early morning for them)
but even the replay of the show was watched by less than 600.000 people.

SweetestBerry

Australia has a population of 23 million people - big country with a small population.

Both Semi Finals started at 5 am on a working day

The Grand final started at 5 am a Sunday morning here - so yes only 300,000+ the very keen (like me :mrgreen:) were up at that ungodly hour to watch the live shows.

However, the repeats that aired in prime time TV 7.30pm in the evening attracted good audiences.

People had their Eurovision Parties at night time watching the repeats on TV and Sunday Night Eurovision was shown in movie theatres in capital cities around Australia. These multiple viewers dont factor into the ratings.

Overall SBS had their best ratings ever with a combined audience over the 2 semi-finals and Grand final of 4.2 million people. Not too shabby at all for a country not in Europe.

Eurovision has been telecast from an Australian TV station for 30 years - so we do love Eurovision a lot xrose

GRE

People had their Eurovision Parties at night time watching the repeats on TV and Sunday Night Eurovision was shown in movie theatres in capital cities around Australia. These multiple viewers dont factor into the ratings.

I didn't know that.
Interesting. :)

esc87fan

I bet the commentators went wild with excitement when Sweden gave Australia its very first 12 points

southernstars

so yes only 300,000+ the very keen (like me :mrgreen:) were up at that ungodly hour to watch the live shows.

Me too ;) ALL three days! My work colleagues thought I was insane lol.

I think people forget that Australia's population is much less compared to Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain, Turkey etc. Even Poland and Ukraine are bigger than us. Russia goes without saying :p

GRE

But, still even if 1 million watched the Final,
it's only the 1/25 of the population.
This is even lower than Italy (a country with no interest) where 1/20 italians watched the Final.

blue00eyes

But, still even if 1 million watched the Final,
it's only the 1/25 of the population.
This is even lower than Italy (a country with no interest) where 1/20 italians watched the Final.
Oh, we all know Australia took part because of money.

blue00eyes

If Australia took part because of money, then what could stop China, Canada & South Africa ?
Nothing. We'll see them in in the near future.

Or EBU won't allow them, because they have nothing in common with Europe and Eurovision.

SweetestBerry

Australia has a lot in common with Europe - out of a population of 23 million we have the following people who were born in Europe calling Australia home by immigrating here. This list is not all the European countries just the bigger population groups that reside in Australia.

France 30,631
Russian Federation 22,804
Turkey 39,989
Ireland 72,378
Bosnia and Herzegovina 37,470
UK, CIs & IOM 1,192,878
Serbia (includes Kosovo) 42,064
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM) 49,704
Poland 58,447
Cyprus 20,910
Croatia 68,319
Germany 128,558
Netherlands 88,609
Malta 48,870
Hungary 22,660
Greece 127,195
Italy 216,303
Sweden 8,354
Austria 17,010
Latvia 4,675
Norway 3,710
TOTAL 2,301,538

Of course these European immigrants have had Australian born children so there is huge ancestor links and travelling back and forth to the origin country of their parents and grandparents to visit their European relatives.

My mother immigrated from Ireland and my father from the UK and so we have European ancestory as do many Australians and I have many relatives in Ireland and the UK and some in other European countries.

Sabiondo

Australia has a lot in common with Europe - out of a population of 23 million we have the following people who were born in Europe calling Australia home by immigrating here. This list is not all the European countries just the bigger population groups that reside in Australia.

How about the Latin-American countries, USA & Canada..? We also have a huge European population decent & living here much more bigger, even much before :au: was begin colonized by the English's.

Just you must have to check the US Demographics - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_American or from Argentina for example - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentines_of_European_descent

So, the Americans we have a lot in common with Europe to participate in Eurovision too like Australia :lol: :cool:

Nothing. We'll see them in in the near future.

Or EBU won't allow them, because they have nothing in common with Europe and Eurovision.

If EBU won't allowed that others non European countries (for example the Latin or Asian countries) join as guest in ESC, then i bet my house that they will be sued for racism and discrimination..!! :twisted:

SweetestBerry

How about the Latin-American countries, USA & Canada..? We also have a huge European population decent & living here much more bigger, even much before :au: was begin colonized by the English's.

Just you must have to check the US Demographics - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_American or from Argentina for example - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentines_of_European_descent

So, the Americans we have a lot in common with Europe to participate in Eurovision too like Australia :lol: :cool:

If EBU won't allowed that others non European countries (for example the Latin or Asian countries) join as guest in ESC, then i bet my house that they will be sued for racism and discrimination..!! :twisted:

Those are ancestry demographics which is different from actual European born people living now in Australia or America in the present day. America has a long European ancestry dating back to 1492 and Australia has ancestry dating to 1788. So American has a head start on Australia with European ancestry.

Australian population 23 million - 2.1 million European born people are now living in Australia as at 2011 census

American population 321 million - 4.8 million European born people are now living in America as at 2010 census

so looking at present day percentages:

9.1% of Australian citizens were born in Europe.
1.5% of American citizens were born in Europe.

European born people are making Australia their permanent home at nearly 10% of the entire population :mrgreen: It seems that over time, North America has dropped off as a place to immigrate to for European born people.

Besides all that, US does not even telecast Eurovision so there is zero interest from America and I do not think that you can even get a livestream of it in US. Australia has broadcast Eurovision on an Australian owned television station for 30 years so we are very interested in Europe and its culture.

Anyways, it is a moot point now - Australia's participation is a "one off" and it sure was fun for us Aussies - thank you Europe for letting us come play with you for the 60th anniversary celebrations xrose

Top Bottom