17 8.3%

16 7.8%

11 5.4%

37 18.0%

• Total voters

zoyuxi

Time for me to review the Armenian song this year :D

Genealogy - Face The Shadow

Song: To me, Armenia in ESC is not a very consistent country, they can either send amazing songs or complete garbage, but somehow they always manage to qualify. This year is imo the first song they sent that could go in the "meh" category. First, the idea of gathering 6 people of Armenian descent from every single continent is at the same time crazy and appealing (as it was a special anniversary for Armenia), but on the paper only, because the chances that members of groups specially created for an event don't go well together are rather high, and Genealogy is no exception imo. The song sounds weird to me because I've got the feeling that it tries really hard to be dramatic and spectacular, yet it remains incredibly bland. I say that because I'm usually weak when it comes to dramatic songs, but this one doesn't work for me. The structure of the song is peculiar as well: the verses are ok but the bridge sounds rushed and unnecessary. The chorus is a let down too, they could have done something better and more melodic to match the verses. I like the pre-choruses though. Overall, it leaves me an impression of mess.

Voice: With 6 people in the group, voices range from operatic to average, from male to female, from strong to weak... And even though I think they did the best they could both during the semi and the final, their main weakness lies in this "over-variety" of voices imo. Their voices don't go well together, it shows through the choruses and it only emphasizes this feeling of mess. The least they could have done was to give a chorus for 2/3 voices only and distribute all the members on the choruses. So their performances were ok I guess, even though I wasn't impressed at all. The only convincing singer for me, who seemed to be leading the whole thing was Inga. Tbh, I would have liked the song more had she been the only one to perform it.

Tuorem, I really like reading your reviews. :) Your review here has put into words what I couldn't articulate. For this song, I liked the idea behind it, but I felt that the song had too much going on that I couldn't keep up. And because of that, it seemed like most of the singers didn't get to shine individually. I find that the melody itself isn't memorable. The music video had that issue too: it cut back and forth too much between shots. I wish it could...'focus'. The live performance was an improvement, probably because it allowed the voices to 'spread out' more.

tuorem

Tuorem, I really like reading your reviews. :) Your review here has put into words what I couldn't articulate. For this song, I liked the idea behind it, but I felt that the song had too much going on that I couldn't keep up. And because of that, it seemed like most of the singers didn't get to shine individually. I find that the melody itself isn't memorable. The music video had that issue too: it cut back and forth too much between shots. I wish it could...'focus'. The live performance was an improvement, probably because it allowed the voices to 'spread out' more.

Thank you for the compliment :) Yes, there was definitely too much going on at all levels. The original idea was great but they overcooked it and eventually it had the opposite effect on people: they tried too hard to be impactful musically but the melody was strangely bland despite the orchestration. With 6 different people on stage, no one had the time to leave an impression and set an atmosphere in 3 minutes, each person should have sung a part alone instead of having this messy choir impression. Well, it's easier to criticize afterwards, but still I do think they missed this opportunity to create a strong act had they succeeded in channeling their own ideas. As it is, it makes me rather confused than impressed sadly :(

Realest

Mainshow

Veteran
7 points for this artsy-fartsy song which seems to consists of three different songs at once. Strangely, I think that this one works since all individual singers add something different to the song and I do love the jazz-y vibes and the epic final part. However, there are parts of the song which doesn't allow the song to fully shine. It also can be perceived as messy but I still like it quite a lot haha

Top Bottom