Contact us

ARMENIA 2012 - Not taking part

sokyratis555

I don't think we'll ever get to 56 countries participating :?

never say never. i know there was talk (minor) about us here in australia attempting the move to eurovision. there were plans for asia/pacific having a contest of their own at the same time (never eventuated). it all come around to time difference.

but as for europe, there are plenty of countries to add to the group (leichenstein, andorra, czech, morocco, lebanon). with azerbaijan and armenia coming in opens the door from the arab countries, perhaps even some northern african countries to. i think 50 in the next 5 years is definitely an achievable goal. guess we'll have to wait for the economy to strengthen up.

SharpLady

Oficial release by AMPTV.

Armenia Withdraws From ESC 2012

Armenian Public TV Company has actively participated in “Eurovision” since 2006, and “Junior Eurovision” since 2007, by presenting participants from Armenia each year.

Armenia hosted “Junior Eurovision” song contest in December 2011, which was held in an amity atmosphere and was highly appreciated by everyone. This year for the first time Armenia will participate in classical music “Eurovision song contest for young musicians 2012” to be held in Vienna in May. The TV Company from further on also plans to continue the partnership with European Broadcasters Union in general, and with “Eurovision” in particular.

However, with regret we announce that the Armenian Public TV Company cannot send a delegation for participation in “Eurovision” to the capital of Azerbaijan Baku in May 2012. Even though Azerbaijani authorities promised to guarantee security for all participating countries, days ago the president of Azerbaijan “made an exception” for one of those countries, by announcing that Azerbaijan’s primary enemies are Armenians throughout the world. Factually we can note that the president of the country hosting “Eurovision” officially announces that all Armenians, including the ones that would have been enrolled in the “Eurovision” delegation, are enemies of Azerbaijan. Hence, there is no logic to send a participant to a country, where he/she will be greeted as an enemy. This is a matter of principle for us.

We are certain that the atmosphere, which has developed in the background of this and other anti Armenian rhetoric and actions, cannot provide equal conditions for all singers participating in “Eurovision”, which, in our understanding, is the main component of the contest. Furthermore we will continue taking part in “Eurovision”, and presenting Armenia at this pan European song contest.

AMPTV

http://www.eurovision.am/article/127

Can you show any source where you got the President’s words?

Qele_Armenia

http://en.president.az/ his website, where exactly?

BBC - is that the same source which declared that Saddam has nuclear weapon when nobody, for ex. in my country believed it? :lol:

here's the article
http://en.president.az/articles/4423

I believe that Eurovision should not be held in a country where there are obstacles for participating fans, coz Eurovision is not only about songs, singers and country delegations. It's equally or more so about fans too. and I don't think the moods in Azerbaijan regarding Armenians can promote it.even if Eurovision winner Nigar Camal resorted to propaganda language stirring anti-Armenian hysteria by exploiting the anniversary of tragic events during Karabakh war on Twitter, what one can expect from common people?
see here https://twitter.com/#!/Nigar_Camal/status/173541389940948993

keep talking on security guarantees provided to Armenian delegation and fans

deese

i should accept the President is wrong, despite this fact your delegates came here and left safe and sound. And it was important for us to prove that we can tolerate your singers on our land. so they would be fine in any case. But what about your president's saying - "now Azeri know that Armenians can kill innocent people" about Khojali massacre?

I am proud of Nigar's twitter. WE never must forget the 26th of February, this is the most bloody day of the war. She didn't write anything but the truth. She didn't insult anybody.

Anyway, I stop discussing it and visiting this thread since i don't want to get banned at least before our song is introduced. Good luck to Armenia in 2013. I hope you will win and Euro 2014 will be in Erevan. :p

Master

@Master
If your President had said "our main enemies are the British of the world and the hypocritical and corrupt politicians under their control", I would have found that extremely threatening as well as disgraceful. Considering the already high-tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan, it makes it all the more worse.
The President is a dictator with no respect for anybody, not even his own citizens, I dont know why you defend him. But besides that point, he knew it was Eurovision soon, he knew the situation between Armenia and Azerbaijan and he knew how the Armenian's were already feeling about it. He should have kept his mouth shut - if he didnt have anything positive to say, he shouldnt have said anything at all.
You have exposed the facts that many have tried to deny, what I have been saying all along that Armenia has been forced out because of the political disagreements - I dont want politics in my Eurovision thanks. Tbh, I cant wait for this year's edition to be over and we move on to somewhere else next year, and that is the first time I've ever thought that. Im just cannot be in the least bit arsed with all this crap, pathetic and sly comments, actions, etc. If you wanna constantly be in a state of war, constantly hating other nationalities, etc, fine, but Im not interested, and neither is the rest of Europe.

Well, first of all, I see no disgrace here; the invaders and their European friends must be shamed, instead.
Secondly, who are you to decide whether someone is a dictator or not? Who granted you such a right? What criteria your decision is based on? One of the bright examples of democracy is France, desiring to prosecute anyone who denies "the genocide of Armenians". Is it a democracy? I don't want such kind of democracy at all!
Then, the President said nothing negative or extraordinary. Sure, you are not aware of what your president has said for all this time. If we are talking now about presidents' words and statements, then, you should be reminded that it was the Armenian ex-president to have sounded an extremely rasist, "brilliant" thought that " Armenians and Azerbaijanis are genetically incompatiable". But you don't want to see it.
As to the British, there are a lot of British citizens here, and they feel comfort in Azerbaijan, they love it. Armenia has decided not to take part in the contest a long time ago, as they know for sure they would fail and the failure here, in Baku, is twice as painful. It is a political show for them, and you help them, either willingly, or not.
I would strongly recommend you not to speak on behalf of the whole Europe, let every country every citizen decide itself what it is fed up with. EBU has expressed its attitude on this issue. Can you be more catholic than the Pope?

KissMeYouFool

amateur

here's the article
http://en.president.az/articles/4423

I believe that Eurovision should not be held in a country where there are obstacles for participating fans, coz Eurovision is not only about songs, singers and country delegations. It's equally or more so about fans too. and I don't think the moods in Azerbaijan regarding Armenians can promote it.even if Eurovision winner Nigar Camal resorted to propaganda language stirring anti-Armenian hysteria by exploiting the anniversary of tragic events during Karabakh war on Twitter, what one can expect from common people?
see here https://twitter.com/#!/Nigar_Camal/status/173541389940948993

keep talking on security guarantees provided to Armenian delegation and fans

I don't think this is her account.

qabadachia

Seriously, guys? SERIOUSLY?

Will you stop living in the past? How long do you plan on hating each other, huh?

In World War II, German troops executed almost 3.000 civilians in town of Kragujevac, and many of those civilians were the students of elementary school. In 1999. almost entire Europe bombed Serbia (I am soooo not going to start a debate about that, I am just stating the facts) for more than 2 months, night and day. And yet - we were able to host ESC. And we were happy to welcome everybody. British, Germans, Albanians, Croats, Bosnians... The same way Germans were welcome in Israel. Israelis in Germany. Russians in Ukraine and vice versa.

And YOU think that you're the ones that are normal? Well guess what - you're not. ESC could easily be compared to music olympics. And if ancient Greeks were able to put their differences aside for those few days, so could you.

Oh, and one more thing: the way that most of Azeris here are reacting to the news about Armenian decision is sort of a auto-goal. You are happy they won't be there. You are rejoicing. And that's just flat out lame. Cut that war-mongering crap and go to the army if you feel like fighting. I for one believe that there's been enough of bloodshed.

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Guys, you can debate this until the cows come home and you're never going to agree with each other. So why do you keep returning to the politics when it's a music forum? We have a politics section for that where you can go into all manner of detail but this is about a country's entry (or not) into a music contest...

Odalis

You say 630 people, Khojali 1992?
I say 30 million russians 1941-1945.
I don't remember us boycotting Dusseldorf :mad:
I don't remember Sweden, Turkey, Finland, Poland boycotting ESC 2009 in Moscow.
History-wise all European countries should hate each other deeply.
Stop that!!!

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
We gave this a second shot but it's apparent that that some of you are unable to follow simple rules therefore spoiling it for the rest of us. I have no other choice but to close this thread. Those breaking the rules will be notified.

Enjoy discussing the remaining countries.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Giving this thread another shot.

as per escdaily.com

Director of Media Relations of the European Broadcasting Union, Annika Nyberg-Frankenhauzer, has informed soviet news agency ITAR-TASS on details regarding Armenian broadcaster AMPTV’s sanctions after withdrawing from this year’s Eurovision Song Contest in Azerbaijan. After failing to provide an entry to Europe’s most watched television show, the Armenian national broadcaster has been forced to pay their regular participation fee towards the show – plus an extra 50% of this fee. Furthermore, on top of this the state channel must broadcast all three shows of the competition live, with no interruptions.
According to Ms. Nyberg-Frankenhauzer, the EBU has been studying the withdrawal closely. They have now implemented these penalties on the broadcasting company, no matter the political relations between the Caucasian countries. In case AMPTV ignores the conditions given by the broadcasting union, the country could lose the right to participate in further editions of the contest.
Nyberg-Frankenhauzer added: “There are regulations, and after a certain period of time a country wishing to take part in the competition, can not change its decision”, due the late-withdrawal of Armenia this year.

Top Bottom