Contact us

April Fool's Joke - FSC Rules change: Entry Submissions (Points system: Penalize/Reward)

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
To the FSC Community,

We have over time struggled with late entry submissions in FSC where juries have submitted very late inside the deadline, often in the last few days or even in the last hour on deadline day. This has added stress in the juries involved, stress for the FSC Moderators collecting entries, cases where entries have been submitted too late, and delays in the schedule / mode of operation followed by the FSC Moderators to get everything ready in preparation for a new edition.

We have tried for a long time to encourage juries to submit earlier, adding encouragements to our posts to members both in the FSC Forum and in PMs, but without sufficient result. We still see around 34% (1/3) of all our juries submitting in the last 2-3 days before the deadline and very often up to 10 juries submitting on deadline day itself.

As a consequence of this, the FSC Mod team has considered several options and after a period of discussions we have finally devised a points system with penalization for late submissions inside the deadline (the country gets minus-points deducted in the results) and rewards for early submissions inside the deadline (the country gets plus-points added in the results).

The new system works as follows:

Countries submitting 1-5 days after the Evaluation Period is over = +20 points in the results
Countries submitting 6-10 days after the Evaluation Period is over = +10 points in the results
Countries submitting 11-13 days after the Evaluation Period is over = -5 points in the results
Countries submitting 14-16 days after the Evaluation Period is over = -10 points in the results
Countries submitting 2-3 days before the deadline = -20 points in the results
Countries submitting on deadline day = -25 points in the results

We believe this is a fair system which will strongly encourage all countries in FSC to submit earlier in the month (but it is the jury’s choice in the end), with a wise balance of reward and penalization, that will give a positive effect for our beloved contest. It will also minimize the chance that countries submit too late and have to skip an edition, something the FSC Mod team has especially had in mind when making this important change in the FSC Rules.

We know some of you will be critical of this change, espcially juries who wait for a potential entry until the very very end - and change is never easy and comfortable, we all know this - and we also know that internal jury routines may need be changed in some juries as a result, but we still believe this is for the best for the whole FSC Community and for smooth operations and we are confident our juries will show an ability to adapt to rule changes as they have done before.

The change will be implemented from the FSC May 2021 edition onwards (next FSC edition) and the FSC Rules will be updated accordingly. The FSC April 2021 edition will run as planned.

On behalf of the FSC Mod team,

Regards,

Malagant
FSC Admin

nekoisneko

Hi Malagant,

I understand with the stress from the mods regarding the submission of FSC entries. However, I highly disagree with the proposed incentives/penalties regarding the submission of the entry. I personally need longer time to submit the entry because I need to research and contemplate which entry that should be sent. Plus, now there is another Indonesian Jury that I need to discuss with regarding the potential entries. Thus, with the proposed system, we would receive penalty in the future, not to mention that we are not doing that well in FSC either.

If the timing is the issue, then why don't you propose for earlier deadline for submitting the entry? as en example, the mods can set up the submission on the 20th or 25th, before the result of the ongoing edition.

JSSArcos

me seeing all the jurors sending the songs 1-5 days after the Evaluation Period is over :ROFLMAO:

and I always get negative points xheat

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
To the FSC Community,

We have over time struggled with late entry submissions in FSC where juries have submitted very late inside the deadline, often in the last few days or even in the last hour on deadline day. This has added stress in the juries involved, stress for the FSC Moderators collecting entries, cases where entries have been submitted too late, and delays in the schedule / mode of operation followed by the FSC Moderators to get everything ready in preparation for a new edition.

We have tried for a long time to encourage juries to submit earlier, adding encouragements to our posts to members both in the FSC Forum and in PMs, but without sufficient result. We still see around 34% (1/3) of all our juries submitting in the last 2-3 days before the deadline and very often up to 10 juries submitting on deadline day itself.

As a consequence of this, the FSC Mod team has considered several options and after a period of discussions we have finally devised a points system with penalization for late submissions inside the deadline (the country gets minus-points deducted in the results) and rewards for early submissions inside the deadline (the country gets plus-points added in the results).

The new system works as follows:

Countries submitting 1-5 days after the Evaluation Period is over = +20 points in the results
Countries submitting 6-10 days after the Evaluation Period is over = +10 points in the results
Countries submitting 11-13 days after the Evaluation Period is over = -5 points in the results
Countries submitting 14-16 days after the Evaluation Period is over = -10 points in the results
Countries submitting 2-3 days before the deadline = -20 points in the results
Countries submitting on deadline day = -25 points in the results

We believe this is a fair system which will strongly encourage all countries in FSC to submit earlier in the month (but it is the jury’s choice in the end), with a wise balance of reward and penalization, that will give a positive effect for our beloved contest. It will also minimize the chance that countries submit too late and have to skip an edition, something the FSC Mod team has especially had in mind when making this important change in the FSC Rules.

We know some of you will be critical of this change, espcially juries who wait for a potential entry until the very very end - and change is never easy and comfortable, we all know this - and we also know that internal jury routines may need be changed in some juries as a result, but we still believe this is for the best for the whole FSC Community and for smooth operations and we are confident our juries will show an ability to adapt to rule changes as they have done before.

The change will be implemented from the FSC May 2021 edition onwards (next FSC edition) and the FSC Rules will be updated accordingly. The FSC April 2021 edition will run as planned.

On behalf of the FSC Mod team,

Regards,

Malagant
FSC Admin
G8W5byC.jpg

Last edited:

Journalist

I can't imagine us really using these rules 😂 That will be interesting!
Original rules and joke as well! 👏

Lietuvis

I was completely bamboozled last year on April 1st, so i kinda learned my lesson. Just as I started getting angry at this I realized what's up :ROFLMAO:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Okies, most of you have probably figured it out by now (especially in light of my huuge grin above), but just for the record:

YES, this was an April Fools joke (as per annual tradition; Malagant was at it again.. :D), we are of course not changing the FSC Rules as described (though we do, of course, encourage all juries to submit as early as possible for everyone’s benefit ;)).

It is important also in these (still) difficult pandemic times around the world, perhaps especially now, to have some humour and smiles on our faces. Glad you enjoyed this year’s ‘prank’! :mrgreen: ;) xcheer

Top Bottom