Contact us

April Fool's Joke - ALL READ: FSC Changes - New country limit from May

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
To the FSC Community,

We have over time received complaints from many members and juries that there are simply too many songs to listen to, evaluate properly and give points/votes to in the FSC each month which for many leads to not being able to give each song/entry the proper attention it deserves. Fairness has always been at the center of this contest and the FSC Mod team has in the past few months considered whether the burden of having between 35-40 songs to listen to and consider each month is too great.

After much deliberation, and valuable input from several juries, the FSC Mod team has come to the conclusion that it is now time to change the limit of countries in FSC, from max. 40 to max. 30. The Rest of the World jury (RoW) will be removed. This will lessen the burden on all juries and every member will be able to give each monthly entry the important attention it deserves.

We are currently 37 active countries in FSC and this means that 7 countries can no longer take part from FSC May onwards. We are very sad that we will have to remove 7 countries from our midst but we see no other way if we wish to implement this change quickly (it could take years if we were to wait until sufficient countries leave on their own).

The FSC Mod team has considered how this deselection (removal) is to take place. We have looked at several methods to accomplish this in the fairest possible way, here below are some of those we have considered:

a) to remove the bottom 7 countries of the coming FSC April edition (downside: this could lead to heavy tactical voting in April which could majorly influence the final results)

b) to remove the bottom 7 active countries of the FSC League Table (downside: not all countries have taken part long and a couple of good results could influence the league table standing heavily vs long serving FSC-countries that have taken part over a long period)

c) to remove the bottom 7 active countries of the FSC Medals Table (similar downside as pt 'b' above)

d) to have a random draw using Random Org List Randomizer on the internet where the last 7 countries on the list (countries 31 to 37) are removed from FSC (downside: it’s pure chance if you get to continue in FSC or not, many FSC-countries that have stayed with the contest for years could haphazardly lose out)

After serious consideration and weighing the options we have decided that option ‘d’ above (random draw) is the fairest for all. That way every single FSC-country has the same chance to continue in FSC from May onwards, regardless of how long it has been in FSC and how it has performed resultwise.

With this in mind, we have 2 days ago used Random Org List Randomizer on the internet and have carried out the totally random draw fair and square in a proper official way - here below is documented a screen image of the final result selected by the system:

A2mnOiD.jpg

This means that the bottom 7 countries on this list (from 31 to 37) have to leave the FSC after the FSC April edition.

After FSC April we therefore have to say goodbye to: :se::ro::az::cz::my::pl::es:

We are very sad to see them go and thank them all for their time in the FSC Community. All HOJs of these 7 countries will be informed of the decision by the FSC Mod team shortly and the FSC Rules will be updated accordingly in due course.

We will have a ‘waiting list’ for countries (that wish to be on such a list) in case one of the 30 active countries decides to leave FSC. In such an event country 1 on the ‘waiting list’ will take the available spot. If another leaves, country 2 will be offered the available spot etc. If a country is removed due to getting too many warning points ref. FSC Warning Rules, the same applies. The country is out of FSC and country 1 on the ‘waiting list’ is offered its place. Countries that wish to be on such a ‘waiting list’ should contact me, Malagant by PM. It’s first come, first serve.

We know there will be some unhappiness with these changes, and we wish we could have avoided them, but we believe this will benefit the FSC Community as a whole and all of us will get better time to listen to, evaluate properly, judge and vote for the max. 30 songs in every FSC-edition which in turn will give even fairer and more correct final results.

As mentioned, the FSC April edition will run as normal with the confirmed countries, these changes come into effect from May.

Thanks for understanding and for being part of our valuable FSC Community!

On behalf of the FSC Mod team,

Regards,

Malagant
FSC Head Mod

JamieBrown

Sayonara bitches xwave

Would be a little harsh if Germany had to be removed few days after 2 new jurors joined. Soooooooooooooooo happy we jumped off closely xheya

I do believe that this is the fairest option. In WV they waited several editions until they finally got to their participants limit and now they struggle hardly to meet that. I hope that this will lead to more members leaving FSC, so we can finally have a final with 20 participants only. Quality beats quantity guys. Just deal with it ;)

JSSArcos

Oh, Portugal was very lucky xheat :LOL:

I didn't expect this, but it is understandable the decision to move to 30 countries, very sad to see them leave, personally I thought there could be a rotation of countries, the last 7 classified each month could not participate in the next edition, and these 7 countries entered ... in a system like leagues .

I hope you can discuss my proposal ;)

sincerely if this rule goes forward, I can consider leaving the contest :confused:

However, thanks for the work to the moods, and especially the @Malagant ..... good job in trying to improve the contest xdiablo sorry guys, I had to use the irony feature, I am very angry

hawadharma

ANNOUNCEMENT

I have kept this in my heart for so long, and this new rule has made me realise that it's time to say it
:my: has always been underrated in almost all FSC editions despite being an active participant since forever.

In a way, I believe that the forum community has a discrimination against Malaysia.
I remember my entry being disqualified on many occasions for weak reasons, while the moderators are turning a blind eye to some other countries' entries which are clearly against the FSC rules.

This new rule is cherry on top of the cake, Yes, of course Malaysia is in the bottom 7 and needs to be cut off.
Anyway, the random list can be randomised many times to get what the randomiser are looking for.

I am considering to sue everyone involved in this, and I will find some legal support on this.

@Malagant - please take note.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Tbh it wouldn't make much of a difference to listen to over 35 entries. I'd rather have a harder time trying to rank the entries than having to rely on random.org to know if I'll even be able to compete in the contest. People still used their time to look for their entries and to be cut this way is totally inconsiderate.

I hope you guys reconsider this rule.

kopachka

Thank you Malagant for making sure that Croatia achieved top 5 in at least random org ranking :ROFLMAO:
I like how you consider making FSC a more pleasant experience, great job and what a day to make it happen! I sincerely(!!!!!) hope this one gets implemented unlike that rule proposal with no songs from NSC and WV allowed or banning suggestions thread xheat

elanyvx

I Think it's a April Fools Day, so 1th of April and I don't believe this.

If this were true: it would be enough to open a pre-qualifying round for the last 10 countries in the ranking about the last edition for the next.

37 (active countries) - 10 (28th to 37th) = 27

27 + 3 (qualified from the pre qualification round) = 30

The 10 competing countries can vote in the pre-qualifying round, while all the others like Rest of the World if they want.

Last edited:

theditz83

Veteran
I was just thinking "wow, no April Fools day jokes this year - COVID-19 has killed that as well?" and then BAM! Hey there Malagant being all serious and sneaky. There's no way that such active countries in this contest would just vanish like that without a hellish fight.

And on a serious note, while I do agree that the number of entries can sometimes be a little tough to get through in one sitting, break it down into 2 ESC semi-final sized chunks and you're sorted ;)

Verjamem

I'm not sure, whether it's serious or not, but if big amount of entries is really such a big deal (I found solution for myself actually), it's a good moment to think about solution. IMO elanyvx's idea is decent. Additional qualifying round (held maybe during 1-2 last weeks of previous edition) would give even more fun to the contest!

But I think Malagant is kidding, as he didn't wrote, whether we will able to vote in May or no :p

Last edited:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Okies, many have probably figured it out by now, but just for the record:

YES, this was an April Fools joke (as per tradition), we are of course not getting rid of anyone in our beloved contest.

It is important also in these grim and difficult times, perhaps especially now, to have some humour and smiles on our faces. Glad you enjoyed the - quite successful - ‘prank’! :D ;)xcheer

JamieBrown

It was some point while reading it, that I figured. Guess the randomized selection was over the top for me. But it was a fine april's fool xup

Top Bottom