Contact us

Apple unveils the 'magical' iPad

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Apple CEO Steve Jobs on Wednesday unveiled the iPad, the widely and wildly anticipated tablet computer that he called "a truly magical and revolutionary product."

"What this device does is extraordinary," Jobs said. "It is the best browsing experience you've ever had .... It's unbelievably great ... way better than a laptop. Way better than a smartphone."

The tablet will act as a sort of missing link between the two. The model Jobs demonstrated at an invitation-only event in San Francisco operated without a hardware keyboard, with Jobs typing on its glass screen.

It has a nearly 10-inch screen, runs existing apps from the Apple apps store and is available in 16-gigabyte, 32-gigabyte and 64-gigabyte versions, according to Jobs.

Jobs said the iPad will be lightning fast: "It screams," he told a crowd that included former Vice President Al Gore.

See CNN iReporters' reaction to the iPad

The device will have a 1 GHz processor -- an announcement that coaxed "oohs" and "ahs" from the audience.

Pricing will start at $499 for the 16-gigabyte version, $599 for the 32-gig version and $699 for the 64, Jobs said.

Having 3G mobile access will cost an extra $130 on each, he said.

They are scheduled to begin shipping in 60 days.

Jobs and executives from other companies announced several new apps designed for the iPad -- including the New York Times and Major League Baseball.

Some members of the struggling print media have expressed hope in recent weeks that a popular Apple tablet could renew interest in their content while bringing new revenue through subscription plans or iTunes purchases.

Apple disciples -- and, yes, some await each new product announcement from the company with near cult-like devotion -- have been anticipating a tablet computer for several years.

The company has been considering designs for such a device since as early as 1983 and some smaller consumer-electronics companies already have rolled tablet computers onto the market.

At the event, Jobs demonstrated several functions on the iPad, including Google Street View and a reader function -- which he used to pull up the New York Times and Time magazine.

The tablet was expected to shake up the e-reader market by displaying books and newspaper and magazine articles on its color screen.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Is anybody else excited about this one? I personally can't wait for it. Screw Iphone, I like my little tech toys.

AlekS

Veteran
mmm, 1GHz for such "baby" is awesome :mrgreen:
but prices could be lower, imo :lol:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Yeah, but you know how apple does it. They charge you an arm and a leg until the initial hype slows down and then evenutally drop the prices. I will wait for the first price drop. In addition, the first generation is usually bugged and instead of having to download all those updates I may as well wait a few months or so.

AlekS

Veteran
^ Same here. I wait till the prices go down unless it's not something serious (ie. my monitor broke right before New Year so I had to buy the new one immediately).

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I don't know the international ship dates but I'm pretty sure they're going to be close to the US one. How was it with the iphone???

MrJadeEwen

hasn't google already made one of these :/ Apple just jumped on the bandwagon and will charge more :roll:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Google has announced something similar but has not been released yet. I assume you'r referring to the Google netbook ????

Milos-BC

I was just looking at the pictures, and it surely is awesome :D

Until it becomes avaliable in Serbia, the price will be low, so i could afford myself a piece of it :lol:

Top Bottom