Contact us

American Song Contest

midnightsun

Veteran
One can clearly see the juries were told to vote for sophisticated songs, good voice, quality music. Probably they were given the official EBU criteria for juries and this looks exactly like Eurovision juries would vote too if they stuck to these rules and not simply going by their own tastes or neighbor countries. So it’s understandable why juries chose these kinds of songs. They‘re new to the party and probably don’t know how to vote. Besides, all songs they chose were definitely one of the better songs.

yulara

Also there's a lot of hate towards the juries on Twitter now for only supporting white male artists, and especially putting Arizona's mariachi girls so low, as well as just supporting a certain type of songs overall. Not sure what to think myself, i don't think they should have so much power over selecting all four qualifiers though.
I also have the feeling that juries select the same song week after week... country ballad sang by a man with a guitar and/or stedson...

anyway, we are only at the middle of this competition, another 4 weeks to wait to have a winner. this is way too long for me.

EscGeek

Veteran
I miss quirky, whacky, out of the box songs. xmad

popavapeur

Everything seems so Melodifestivalen/Eurovision and at the same time so American. Besides Oklahoma or the song by Ni/Co nothing screams winner like a Eurovision song do but I do feel it's because the songs were sent in the idea of a "Song contest" and a lot of them sound very radio friendly. Every song is kind of smooth, no key change or whatsoever, it's just...casual songs which make them so American to me, while in ESC countries are putting all the stops in the songs to grab the viewers attention (and that's why non-ESC fans always say "it sounds so eurovision")

harey

(And I really like the states postcards on the different threads, it is interesting!)

EscGeek

Veteran
My top 56 is in the making, I have decided on my top 10 and this is funny.. :lol:

Eurovision 2022 - my top 10:

1-female vocals
2-male vocals
3-male vocals
4-male vocals
5-male vocals
6-male vocals
7-male vocals
8-male vocals
9-male vocals
10-female vocals

American Song Contest - my top 10

1-male vocals
2-female vocals
3-female vocals
4-female vocals
5-female vocals
6-female vocals
7-female vocals
8-female vocals
9-female vocals
10-male vocals

midnightsun

Veteran
It definitely takes us Europeans a while to get used to that style of contest. Nothing that would ever work at Eurovision but it doesn’t has to; after all it’s tailored to fit the American market so who are we to judge this under the aspect of Eurovision standards?

It‘s not as entertaining as Eurovision for me, I don’t like most of the concept, with the exception of one thing: I really like the 3-public-1-jury-qualifier! This is something I would wish for the Semi Finals in Eurovision. Four blocks with ten song each, let five qualify.

But it’s definitely fun to watch the songs and the postcards of the states, so it’s a little nice ESC add-on to survive the waiting-for-Eurovision countdown! :)

Deleted member 12761

Because including Australia really ruined ESC right? :rolleyes: It's just crazy to me fans want countries who barely have an interest, like Ireland, to take part while there are also European countries like Slovakia and Hungary who has said no. But God forbid a country who actually has an interest and a passion takes part?

Also Israel isn't European and they've taken part for ages now. For some reason the anti-Australia fans never have anything against Israel's participation, but let's not do that discussion as it's been done to death.
I 100% agree and I'm also getting tired of certain European countries. Imaging having a big show like this where you could promote your local music scene and your country and you don't use it at all. My country is one of the biggest music markets in the world and yet we don't really have any stars. Eurovision is a huge chance and promo platform. I don't understand some of these broadcasters at all. Some countries/broadcasters don't care about Eurovision. I rather see countries like Australia or Israel who at least have passion for it than certain european countries/broadcasters who don't respect the show at all. I believe that worldvision is the future. Not that every country will take part but it will be more international. I'm here for it.

About ASC: I hope they have a flag parade in the final. I'm cheering for Alexa and for Jared Lee.

Bmbriga

I wasn't really paying attention, so I'm not sure what's going on and what stage are we now in... Has Tennessee performed? If so, how is he doing?!

Yazy

Very little amount of songs from this contest managed to catch my attention.

New Boot Goofin', Held on too long and Wonderland.

Funny how all of these are only from Heat 1. :confused:

shameless

Yeah, overall the selection was very meh-ish and indeed seems like Melodifestivalen big and bland. To have no song that I really like between 56 is really something. I also don't like the way how they announce the jury winners and give a lot of favoritism during the voting period for the audience already away.
The fact that after the second semifinal nobody is commenting on this says it all, the show is too anticlimatic and superficial even for American Liking but thats what you get when you're working with people who put the least culturally interesting selection on ESC together every year.

Fluke

I really didn't feel like i cared much about the results of the semi. It seems a lot of the fun of the show is lost with so many of the most creative and diverse entries eliminated, to me.

I guess we can at least hope for a good song to win, like Jordan Smith or Chloe Fredericks (underrated!), and not some complete pap like Riker Lynch or Christian Pagán, or god forbid, Michael Bolton.

Overall, many things done wrongly with this edition, but hopefully they'll improve on it the next time, if there is another one, but we'll get to it. Still a pretty good selection of songs and a good start, compared to many countries first attempt at ESC national selection for example.

Deleted member 12761

Alexa/Oklahoma is the winner of the first American Song Contest.

shameless

just woke up realising I could try to tune in for a few seconds and it was already the tellyvote reveal :eek:
let's say they didn't waste any time and after the winners reprise I think its fair to say that the playback was just half so much it was out of tune. :LOL:
congratz to your very own Lys Assia though! now I need to drink a sleeping tea asap.

Top Bottom