Contact us

American Song Contest

empo21

Veteran
Well the charm of Eurovision is that most countries or regions have different traditional music and different ideas for pop (like the pop songs from Western and Eastern European countries have certain flairs to them).

I don't know how each 50 states will differ from each other. I'm expecting at least 20 country songs to begin with, probably 10-15 gospel, some rock and x-factor level pop songs (so basically 50 Melodifestivalen songs competing, how pleasant!).

Eulaliya

Hopefully there have been that bring songs in Spanish or Native American languages. maybe the new jersey could bring songs in Italian there are many Italian Americans
Don't forget Hawaiian and Chamorro. Hopefully some Filipino-Americans and Filipino diaspora there will send us Pinoy pride (most likely from Hawaii or California), like Jasmine Trias

tomos2019

I do hope there would at least be about 2 or 3 not in English especially if we're talking like 40+ songs, otherwise I risk being bored out of my mind!

Franco

I'm excited about the voting part, about finding out if the States will form voting blocks and if there will be similar patterns with Europe. It will be fun to guess which State will be the Sweden, the UK, the Cyprus (etc. etc.) of USA.

empo21

Veteran
I fear the contest will get even more political than Vidbir 2019. Texts and California will definitely be the Swedens of the red and blue states respectively.

I just hope not enough people watch it so it gets canceled doesn't get too political.

I still think the best thing would be to include countries from the entire Americas

njdevils94

Veteran
I still think the best thing would be to include countries from the entire Americas
Too many broadcasters for that to happen. Looked at a failure of Eurovision Asia as a case in point. Here they just need one network for it.

A-lister

Veteran
Too many broadcasters for that to happen. Looked at a failure of Eurovision Asia as a case in point. Here they just need one network for it.

What too many broadcasters? If we don't count territories, it's 35 countries in the Americas which is certainly less than Eurovision has, also less time zones included (if we count full Russia in the case of Eurovision).

Ekholmia

Will NBC want to run this over time if it's not an instant success from the start? Fingers crossed. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

RevNet

FWIW, I think the news segment below is one of the first that is promoting the ASC. It certainly is the first that I'm aware of, anyway.

I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't come from any of the NBC affiliates from the big cities (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.). Just so you know, KSNF (branded as KSN in the video) is an NBC affiliate located in Joplin, Missouri (Southwest corner of MO), and serves it, along with Pittsburg, Kansas (Southeast corner of KS). Yes, that is the correct spelling for Pittsburg.

iowacorn

FWIW, I think the news segment below is one of the first that is promoting the ASC. It certainly is the first that I'm aware of, anyway.

I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't come from any of the NBC affiliates from the big cities (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.). Just so you know, KSNF (branded as KSN in the video) is an NBC affiliate located in Joplin, Missouri (Southwest corner of MO), and serves it, along with Pittsburg, Kansas (Southeast corner of KS). Yes, that is the correct spelling for Pittsburg.

Maybe it means that they're having a harder time finding an entry from either Missouri or Kansas? I'm sure getting an act to rep a more populous state is no problem, but it's going to be harder to promote in less urban areas

Fluke

Seems like a perfect venue for the final, or at least the Nevada selection!

Chrisiam

Bless him. You know what I quite like it, I was half expecting it to be terrible but I like it. Could do with a little less reverb though.

WhoKnows

I'm excited about the voting part, about finding out if the States will form voting blocks and if there will be similar patterns with Europe. It will be fun to guess which State will be the Sweden, the UK, the Cyprus (etc. etc.) of USA.

I think we will see voting blocks. New England, south east, mid west, west coast, etc.

I predict North Carolina will be the Estonia, aka keep pretending it's a northern state.

Chrisiam

Honestly I think the "Human Story" bit at the head of his video is just him trying to plead to the people doing the selection as to why to select him. The main show(s) might not have any of that stuff but I can just imagine in the mean time the people selecting the acts are like "Alright, all right! We get it! You are really happy for the opportunity and you want to be an inspiration, we get it! Get with the singing already!".

Fluke

Just realized a curious thing with this being the first edition: Not only do the states have no history of what to send to fall back on, nobody even has any idea what kind of entries will be successful. Since there hasn't been a contest like this before, there's nothing to give a hint about what people will actually vote for. They will be all chosen "in blind" so to speak.

We can just hope for a wide variety of genres, so everyone can get a good idea of what works with the voters!

Charly

Afaik if its just NBC broadcasting then the voting lines would be controlled by NBC via their state HQ rather than other broadcasters like FOX ABC etc

For example South Dakota broadcasting could be from NBC's KNBN and North Dakota's KFYR

Top Bottom