5 2.4%

7 3.4%

14 6.7%

• Total voters

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member
Re: ALBANIA 2018

Wow, I just listened to all of the songs, and I love nearly all of them! :eek: Albania will probably end in the top of my final ranking yet again...
I don't understand why people are so thrilled by Melodifestivalen, when FiK is way better just about every year :eek:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I've only listened to a couple of the songs so far (shame on me to be honest), but i've got to say OH MY GOSH please let this finally be Rezarta Smaja's year. Her song is all kinds of slayage. It's a phenomenal blend of everything I love about Festivali i Këngës and Rezarta. It's delivering drama, "holy sh*t did they just go there?" melody and of course it wouldn't be Albania without the awesome rock guitar. When I saw she had yet another duet, I was a bit skeptical and ever so slightly disappointed, as I selfishly just want Rezarta performing on stage by herself with no one there to share the limelight (also i'm not crazy for duets most of the time), but once again it's a duo that works extremely well. I can't wait to see this live. It's going to be even better. The way Rezarta's voice soars so effortlessly gives me goosebumps. It's a force of nature. I live for the way she sings. No crazy vocal acrobatics needed, just raw power. She rocks! And Luiz is fantastic here too. Goodness, i'm so hyped.

Ranking Rezarta's entries so far:

1. Më rrembe (possibly my favourite NF song of all time that didn't make it to Eurovision)
2. Ra një yll
3. Në zemër
4. Ti?
5. Dashuri në përjetësi
6. Pse prite gjatë

I don't celebrate Christmas anymore to be honest. December for me has now come to mean Rezarta Smaja worship monthxbow Can't wait to ditch my family again for Festivali i Këngësxheart

PamSwynford

Special guest of the first SF is Riccardo Cocciante.

CaraMia

Wow, I just listened to all of the songs, and I love nearly all of them! :eek: Albania will probably end in the top of my final ranking yet again...
I don't understand why people are so thrilled by Melodifestivalen, when FiK is way better just about every year :eek:

It's interesting because as time passes FiK is becoming my favourite national final. I used to be one of those Melodifestivalen worshipers, but now Albania is almost surpassing Sweden and taking the trophy for my favourite national final. I think that what still makes me like Melodifestivalen slightly more is the hosts and the overall suitability of Melodifestivalen songs to ESC compared to those of FiK (although Salvador came to prove that there is no formula, so this is also debatable). But yeah, when we see a national final like FiK in a country like Albania (considered not that wealthy) it makes me really think about how overrated other national finals are. The live orchestra, the outfits, the introduction music (so classy and characteristic)... it looks like half of the GDP of the country was just used in the production of this festival (the other half is meant to be used in Kenga Magjike and Top Fest :lol:). Seriously, I find the music industry of Albania truly outstanding and I think this country is definitely underrated in the world of music.

Odalis

It's a subjective statement.
It's not about what's "better" it's about who prefers what.
FIK is so dated it hurts me deeply, i was done listening to music like that around 1997-2000 so i'll take MF any day, thx!
But if you're into FIK style songs - please do enjoy them)

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member

It's a subjective statement.
It's not about what's "better" it's about who prefers what.
FIK is so dated it hurts me deeply, i was done listening to music like that around 1997-2000 so i'll take MF any day, thx!
But if you're into FIK style songs - please do enjoy them)

I do enjoy a couple of songs in MF occasionally, but the majority of the songs (and the show itself actually) are just way too mainstream for my taste, whereas most of the Albanian songs seem more sophisticated and unique to me.. But yeah, it is obviously a question of taste ;)

hijirio

Veteran

It is bizarre to me that one can compare FiK with MF, they are like two extreme ends of a spectrum, the most opposite exampes of national finals.
One is the most traditional, the other is the most innovational.

There are like 5-6 songs in FiK that are like out of a karaoke contest. Won't even mention their names, it's obvious (most of the entries with male vocals).
Who the hell chose those songs even? What were they thinking? Imagine them getting selected and representing the country in front of millions. :(

However, even some of the last places in MF deltavling are possible SF qualifiers for Eurovision.

It's a pity cuz Dua Lipa, Rita Ora, Bebe Rexha etc. are all Albanian. So many Albanian names are becoming known in the states in the recent years.

Kaz

I feel like more people should be talking about Xhesika Polo. Her song this year is fantastic, and if she pulls it off live, I can envision Albania doing their best since 2012. However, in saying that, Lindita failed to qualify even with her vocals, so I'm not sure if Xhesika will be able to either. Either way I am expecting something much better than last year for Albania!

DanielLuis

I just listened to the songs and I must say I'm positively surprised! I think there was a clear attempt to add diversity to the NF by RTSH. Overall it's a good NF.

My initial favourites are Orgesa Zaimi, Artemisa Mithi, Tiri, LYNX, Ines Neziri, Eugent Bushpepa, Denisa Gjezo and Xhessika Polo. I think these songs can do relatively well in Lisbon, with a good revamp. Emphasis on good, RTSH!

I can see why Ines Neziri is the favourite, but I can't help but think she'll end up being a Lindita Halimi/Eneda Tarifa/Hersi version 2340 and will end up failing to qualify. People like Orgesa, Eugent, Denisa or Tiri can give Albania a completely different type of entry from what they're used to send and be a dark horse in may.

Just please, whatever happens stick to Albanian! It adds that special flavour to the songs.

Odalis

I do enjoy a couple of songs in MF occasionally, but the majority of the songs (and the show itself actually) are just way too mainstream for my taste, whereas most of the Albanian songs seem more sophisticated and unique to me.. But yeah, it is obviously a question of taste ;)

Mainstream = up to date, yep.
But objectively there's nothing unique about songs that went out of date before 2000, there used to be tons and tons of these, but yeah, maybe that's in some ways "unique" for 2017 when almost nobody cares for (or makes) music like that anymore xqueenbitch

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member

Mainstream = up to date, yep.
But objectively there's nothing unique about songs that went out of date before 2000, there used to be tons and tons of these, but yeah, maybe that's in some ways "unique" for 2017 when almost nobody cares for (or makes) music like that anymore xqueenbitch

MF is mostly just copying other pop hits from the last few years or something completely out dated from 80s schlager pop

There may be something oldfashioned (and charming) in the FiK-songs, but it's a lovely mix of elements from the past and the presents (possibly the future as well? Who knows), that somehow works every single time... I can't remember hearing anything similar at all from before 2000 :eek:

hijirio

Veteran

MF is mostly just copying other pop hits from the last few years or something completely out dated from 80s schlager pop

There may be something oldfashioned (and charming) in the FiK-songs, but it's a lovely mix of elements from the past and the presents (possibly the future as well? Who knows), that somehow works every single time... I can't remember hearing anything similar at all from before 2000 :eek:

I wonder if we're watching the same show.

All the winners of FiK since 2014 are similiar to me.

Zemërimi i një nate
Diell
Perralle
Bote

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member

I wonder if we're watching the same show.

All the winners of FiK since 2014 are similiar to me.

Zemërimi i një nate
Diell
Perralle
Bote

Really? :eek:
I admit that Përrallë and Botë were rather similar, though I think the singers and their voices are very different, but Diell and Zemërimi I Një Nate?
I loved both Përrallë and Botë, but Diell was dreadful! So boring... I think Zemërimi I Një Nate was rather different too, not as classic and "clean" as the others.. Interesting though, like many of Hersi's songs... Perhaps they seem a bit more similar, than I believe them to be, because of the orchestra..?

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator

Very high quality this year. I also love that the songs very released ahead of time, all with a music video.

The two favourites are justified, but from a Eurovision perspective, I'm rooting for Piedestal. The problem with Mall is that they would have to chop about a third of the song away, and that rarely works.

hijirio

Veteran

Really? :eek:
I admit that Përrallë and Botë were rather similar, though I think the singers and their voices are very different, but Diell and Zemërimi I Një Nate?
I loved both Përrallë and Botë, but Diell was dreadful! So boring... I think Zemërimi I Një Nate was rather different too, not as classic and "clean" as the others.. Interesting though, like many of Hersi's songs... Perhaps they seem a bit more similar, than I believe them to be, because of the orchestra..?

Well, that's a good explanation, probably it's the orchestra that makes them similiar.
And I agree with all the rest you said, I was so happy when they changed Diell, it was a turning point for them. :D

DipintoDiBlu

Haven just given a quick listen through of the songs, I can say I'm quite glad about Mall (my no.1) being relatively popular among the community. Not 100% on Piedestal, it's a nice enough song but doesn't really stick out from all the other female ballads Albania has sent over the years. As shitty as it is, I want Mall to go to Eurovision because Albania has a seriously disproportionate ratio of female:male performers sent over the years (without looking at the numbers I'd say almost as bad as Ukraine) and maybe they could do with a bit of testosterone to mix it up and pull them out of their current rut.

Sammy

Veteran

Send either E dua Boten or Ngrije Zerin (in that order) . I gave the rest 3 entire circles of listening - none of them could move me a bit or stick to my mind. To the contrary, I was heavily tempted to skip most of them.
Especially the big fan favorites (apparently) Piedestal and Perjete would be the worst. I admit that they are well sung and the performers are terribly good, BUT: this is just another version in beige of what we had the past couple of years. Please, Albania! Try something new. It hasn't to be a revolution, take the changes step by step and send the lovely Arthemisa!

JChan

I must admit... I'm really excited for Saturday!!! It FINALLY feels like it's Eurovision season again.

Top Bottom