Contact us

A Tribute to Erica Vaal, Hostess of Eurovision 1967

macmillanandwife

Now that we know that Austria will be hosting Eurovision next year as well as it will be the 60th anniversary, I think they should do a tribute to the host of the 1967 contest, Erica Vaal. When she introduced the audience to the contest in 7 languages, she said something very interesting that no other host has ever said since:

"Ladies and Gentleman, of Sweden, Netherlands, Norway, Finland, Portugal & Yugoslavia. I would have liked to welcome you in your native tongue, but time was too short for me to learn them. But should there be another contest in the near future in Vienna, I shall do my best to please you."

Unfortunately, she passed away in October 2013. I think it would be great if the host of next year's contest would finish the job and introduce the next year's Eurovision (could be during SF1 or the Final) in the remaining 6 languages. It would be very nice way of remembering her and remembering how much the song contest has changed. For one, they'll be hosting the contest on color television! I don't know it would be very interesting way to open the contest, especially if they choose to have it at Heldenplatz.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
That would be nice :D Maybe they can also forget to collect Ireland's votes, just keep up tradition.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
What kind of Brit are you? :?

I saw it on a funny eurovision moments thing on YouTube. I've just realised what I said. We cannot possible ignore the only country who will probably vote for us guaranteed.

Mlyn

Banned
Wow, that would be such a heartwarming start..... let's pass the idea to ORF!!

macmillanandwife

Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely Ireland will be last in the voting order with randomized voting order and everything. Although, it would be really hilarious if their transmission breaks down like what almost happened with Belarus and with Albania in JESC 2012.

In terms of sending the idea to ORF, how do I contact them and will they even read it?

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely Ireland will be last in the voting order with randomized voting order and everything. Although, it would be really hilarious if their transmission breaks down like what almost happened with Belarus and with Albania in JESC 2012.

In terms of sending the idea to ORF, how do I contact them and will they even read it?

Is there not a "Contact US" or a suggestion area on the ORF website? I know for the BBC the only way to get anything through is to complain and give the suggestion that way.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
oooo. I will favourite that link in case I think of ought. I would send in this suggestion but it was macmillianandwife's so they should.

Dante

I'm wondering, how much time will it take to say "welcome", slowly, in all the european languages.
Or what if the slogan changed on the screen, with each song, with the native language xD

Pawhlen

Dante: Yep, why not, in 1967 every song title was showed in native language, English, French and German

Mlyn

Banned
So, if it's a duo, I would go for Christoph Waltz and Dagmar Koller. :D

Mlyn

Banned
According to oe24.at, ORF wants Christoph Waltz and Mirjam Weichselbraun as hosts.

carnage-christoph-waltz-foto-1746202437.jpg
mirjam_weichselbraun_m5610.jpg

CPV4931

Would be a greeat couple of hosts imo :-)

Mlyn

Banned
I think Christoph Waltz as host could attract a bigger than usual audience, it might even buzz with the US.

And Mirjam is the obvious choice, I wonder if she knows French.....

Andi Knoll would be a little more awkward than Stefan Raab as host, also Kati Bellowitsch wouldn't fit in the shoes of a ESC hostess.

I could see Conchita as green room reporter or third host who gets flirty with Jan Ola.

Mlyn

Banned
Bad news y'all!

Mister Waltz refuses to host the Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna and he evens sounds a bit rude when asked in a recent interview:

Der Song Contest ist in Österreich nach wie vor ein großes Gesprächsthema. Haben Sie den Sieg von Conchita Wurst mitbekommen?
Eurovision is still a big talking point in Austria. Have you realized the victory of Conchita Wurst?

Ja, ich habe es mitbekommen, weil es sich nicht verhindern ließ.
Yes, I have, because I couldn't prevent it.

In Österreich wünschen sich viele Sie als Moderator?
Many Austrians love to see you as a host.

(Lacht) Haben Sie das gerade erfunden?
xlol Did you just make that up?

Nein, Sie wären eine Traumbesetzung.
No, you are considered the dream cast.

Das mag sein, aber nicht für mich.
Maybe, but not for me.

Schade.
Awwwww...... :(

Nein, nein, nein, ich will das überhaupt nicht schlecht machen, da gibt es nichts schlecht zu machen, und ich finde das alles wunderbar. Aber das Moderieren dieser Angelegenheiten überlasse ich denen, die sich damit auskennen.
No, no, no, I don't wanna do things down at all, because there's nothing to down, and I think it's totally amazing. But hosting is none of my business.

Christoph Waltz: "Ein Oscar ist kein Verdienst" « WirtschaftsBlatt.at

Well, Mr. Waltz, I remember you hosting Saturday Night Live in New York in 2012....

:(

He sounds like a **** tbh

100 EUR for the copyright of bringing this up and the translation, thanks y'all!

Mlyn

Banned
I just found this footage on youtube, lovely

And I learned that Alice Tumler lives in France and also speaks Portuguese and Spanish.

"Building Bridges" as a slogan is also a tribute to Erica Vaal, who introduced the Eurovision 1967 by stating that it's not important to find a winner, but that so many different countries share one stage.

Mlyn

Banned
Mirjam speaking english:

Alice speaking english:

Alice speaking french:

Conchita speaking german, getting translated into french:

Arabella talking trash

Arabella wearing shoes

Conchita speaking georgian

Top Bottom