Contact us

2019 shaping up to be a bad year

midnightsun

Veteran
someone KILL THIS DAMN NARRATIVE ALREADY it's beyond dumb lmao it's like people actively want the year to be bad at this point

Why? There've been some years which are known as "poor years" by a large Eurovision audience resp. the ESC bubble. I think many agree that 2008 and 2013 were some of the most disappointing in recent years (feel free to disagree, i KNOW there will be some saying this was such a GOOD year how can you say this...). Also 2017 was not that appreciated as far as I can remember but 2018 actually was. Most people will say so. Exceptions confirm the rule.

I'm not the usual "this year sucks" member. When I dislike a year, I will firmly tell you as much as I show my enthsiasm when I love a year (happened last year; I was so thrilled and couldnt choose between many of the songs to be a favourite).

I think this happens to most of the members here. So this thread has its right to be opened. It's good to discuss whether others feel the same or not.

This year I have a feeling this will be one of my worst ESCs ever. And I've seen a lot. Actually almost all at one time or another. So yeah, this time I say it:

THIS YEAR SUCKS - so far. :-)

But I will watch it anyway. There will be some country at some point I will be rooting for. Don't know yet which one as I don't have any favourite so far, but we will see.

0scar

I don't like this year so far
There's literally one song I vaguely care about and listen to sporadically, while last year I've been listening to several songs for weeks at this point before the contest

The songs to come might be the change but I'd definitely say it's a bad ESC year for now

Alaska49

we don't have all the songs and everyone's opinions on everything can change drastically once eurovision staging comes into play anyway. saying this year sucks is 100% tunnel vision, not that i expect better from this board at this point lol.

DanielLuis

we don't have all the songs and everyone's opinions on everything can change drastically once eurovision staging comes into play anyway. saying this year sucks is 100% tunnel vision, not that i expect better from this board at this point lol.

This is literally, and I mean literally, the narrative of the forum during february-march every single year.

Ezio

Veteran
Sad to say that this is shaping up to be the most boring Eurovision in about 10+ years!

This has been such a great decade for Eurovision with each year building on the previous one and more and more credible, quality songs get selected.

But I feel we are closing out the decade with an overwhelming batch of bland, forgettable songs.

Does anyone else agree?

All I can say to you is "Hvala, ne" for this thread.

We read it every year but Eurovision keeps getter better.

Eurovision this year will only end up badly and boring for Australia.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
it's the first time i've heard this!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've seen worse years

CaspianMortis

So far, this year is a disappointment for me and the song quality seems much worse than last year, but I do like some songs.

Franzilein

These threads keep popping up every year and it's so ridiculous. There will always be people who don't like any of the songs, you cannot please everyone. Doesn't mean it's a bad year however. You can still appreciate the variety of music we get presented. Just try to compare Iceland, Australia, Portugal, Spain, Hungary, Norway, Italy, Slovenia... super diverse.
Many people consider 2016 to be the best ESC quality-wise (at least that's what I gather from comments I read) – to me it's the one that's most radio-friendly of all years. A lot were actually easy to listen to, so of course people will remember it as a "good year".

theditz83

Veteran
There have been a lot of safe choices in NFs I think, but what we have to remember being stuck in the Eurovision bubble as us fans always are is that as soon as the Eurovision pre-shows start up and we gradually get a feel for how the performances will look on-stage in May during the rehearsal weeks, we really can't be sure just how the whole Eurovision experience will look overall just by analysing the songs and NF performances/music videos. Personally, I probably have around half of the songs currently selected that I enjoy with 4-5 that I am actively looping on my Spotify playlists as my faves, but I'm sure that will change as we get closer to the contest.

I know that some of the outstanding countries still to reveal or select their entries will bring some fire as well, so no panic for me just yet xup

Tinchey

IMHO this is the best year of 10s, and I know more good/amazing entries are coming up... literally only :lt::ee::fi: and :no: suck imo.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Last ESC year I properly enjoyed was 2016. The problem with this year thus far is that there's just so much middle of the road stuff that's doing nothing to entice me, and I'm fairly certain never will interest me. I have four songs I love this year, which is alright. I don't need to love everything. Serbia meanwhile I think is a nice song but that's pretty much it. In good years I'll have seven or eight songs I love and then at least could fill or come close to filling a top 20 with songs I find enjoyable (the nice songs I'm happy to put on a playlist). When a Euro trash connoisseur can't even get into whatever Australia is trying to be, there's a problem.

Eurovision has also reached this really uncomfortable point in its lifetime when countries seemingly are trying to add a touch of something alternative to their entries. Listening to X Factor/Voice rejects mumbling to unadventurous, heavily watered-down synth/indie pop isn't exactly my idea of a good time. In fact, it's high-key my idea of a nightmare. The bastardizing of genres I'm passionately into outside of the contest is challenging for me. It all feels so cold and plastic. I can let go of myself for Eurovision (it's part of the fun and you have to) but I just can't listen to some of the stuff we've been getting lately.

Of course, this is all subjective though. A bad year for one person is a good year for another, and vice versa. If Serhat and Tamara deliver the goods and two or three other decent internal picks happen then the year will at least be survivable for me. I'm not having a great time though this year. For 2020 I think maybe I should follow things less intently. Might stop me moaning as well which would be good for everyone xheart

Karhu

I don't know if my standards have dropped or what, but for my tastes this is the best ESC year in a really long time :D And that's not counting a lot of potentially promising entries from countries like Greece, Poland, Azerbaijan, etc. that haven't been revealed yet.

A-lister

Veteran
I think many agree that 2008 and 2013 were some of the most disappointing in recent years (feel free to disagree, i KNOW there will be some saying this was such a GOOD year how can you say this...). Also 2017 was not that appreciated as far as I can remember but 2018 actually was. Most people will say so. Exceptions confirm the rule.

2008 disappointing!? How very dare you!? xgaah :lol: ... It's probably one of the best ESC years period ...

Anyhoo... 2018 was surprisingly great coming off some kinda meh years... I am not sure though why people think 2016 was this great year? What am I missing here? It was decent I guess xshrug

Anyways, ESC goes in cycles I guess, for me years tend to come in pairs (2004-2005, 2008-2009) but then I have those stand-alone years 2012 and 2018 that were surrounded with kind of meh years for me but still managed to be good years...

I'll come back on my verdict on 2019 when all songs have been chosen though...

VikingTiger

A bit too early to tell how 2019 will eventually turn out. But as for now it doesnt seem to become a favourite year of mine. So far I've handed out only one 12... to MARUV... :(.... So I still dont have any 12p for now....
I think that throughout these last editions of the ESC we have seen and heard quite a few rather good pop songs, with good productions and good vocals on stage. That is a good thing, but too few of the songs stands out, any most are not very memorable.
I did find 2018 to be a good year. And more so 2015 before that. But no edition comes close to 2009. 2008 was also a very good year for me - although the winner was obviously not the right one...

FilipFromSweden

First of all, I feel like this is a discussion every year. If it's a good year or not can only be said once I've seen everything on the real stage. Every year I think some entries are amazing and some are complete trash and a good 80 % of my opinion changes once I see it live on TV.

I haven't heard all entries as well, I enjoy saving some and not listening to everything before it's time. What I have heard though seems rather standard quality-wise. Is it a bad year? Too early to call. I guess last year is hard to top, a year where I enjoyed almost every entry in some way.

Top Bottom