Contact us

2019 shaping up to be a bad year

A-lister

Veteran
This is a peculiar year, coming off an unusual strong 2018 with a strong top. 3, it seems most countries are aiming for very basic and bland ballads or midtempo songs this year, surprising to be honest imo. Is it because they don't want to win or they think juries will support the safe choices? With that said, we also have some bops this year (:mt: :cy: :no: :es:) but most interestingly we have some entries that are really out there, feel fresh not only to the contest but generally and are unusually daring for ESC like :it: , :is: , :pt: for instance so it all comes down to how the juries will act here, will they go for the safe as usual or will we see risks finally paying off? But yeah, in general the year is pretty basic but it has some standout entries that makes me hopeful.

Alaska49

it seems most countries are aiming for very basic and bland ballads or midtempo songs this year, surprising to be honest imo.
with THAT third placer plus jury winner of last year you are surprised? absolutely not surprising. everyone who enabled the success of that beige dirge of a song is to blame for the higher number of ballads this year. most of them this year are better though.

Brandt

I've changed my mind. In the past week, this year ended up being a good one.

There are 21 songs I won't complain watching at the contest and 20 songs I don't geniuely care about and won't listen to again after the contest. This is pretty much what an ordinary year goes like for me.

2019 contest, we're all good. xheart

A-lister

Veteran
with THAT third placer plus jury winner of last year you are surprised? absolutely not surprising. everyone who enabled the success of that beige dirge of a song is to blame for the higher number of ballads this year. most of them this year are better though.

I think Austria last year was ok, obviously not a top. contender but top. 10 for sure, I hear your point though but then it really proves that countries only care about the jury votes now... but still you forgot the top. 2 ...

MyHeartIsYours

Throughout the entire NF's period this year was looking absolutely terrible (quite possibly the worst Eurovision ever) then right at the last minute we had a flurry of great entries that has really turned things around. Certainly my favourite Eurovision of the last three/four years!

The most common score I have given this year's entries is 10 points, and over 2/3 of the songs I would rate 6 points or above.

midnightsun

Veteran
Russia and Israel saved this year. So I can say I will at least have someone to root for. It’s still a bad year though but I knew this was going to happen some day, that the day would come many songs are not my cup of tea anymore. But glad to see it gets a little more peaceable in the end.

popavapeur

Are we really sure broadcasters are aiming at some certain genres due to the previous contest ? This seems so far-fetched (unless for like 3 countries that always follow some trends) to me it's just like what the musical industry nowadays is. Are they now taking bold choices when they can ? it seems to (Italy, Iceland, Portugal) but at the same time the amount of beige entries just seems bigger.

in some national finals we had a wide variety of genres and the public tend to pick the safest one and I don't think the televote is picking while thinking about what worked the previous year. Could it be just some sort of coincidence + the reflect of our musical industry ?

Realest

Looking back it was one of the strongest Years in the 2010s. There are around 15 Songs I still keep listening. Last Year (which was extremely overrated) there were only 4.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
lmao it's one of the worst of the 10s music-wise and by far the worst one production-wise

Realest

:ie:?

Alaska49

2019 had easily the worst hosting of all time. it's not even an exaggeration lol. it was worse than 2009 in every aspect, and that year was a nightmare, so that seals it. musically it's good, as i have always said pre-show, but it's not special for the decade, which has given us strong rosters every single year from 2013 on. this year was fine, but gets lost in the big picture of eurovision history easily.

Israeliboy

Interesting whats wrong with Brazilian ppl here or they are not even Brazilians lol

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I mean the hosting in general encompassing the organization, technical diffucties and the entire shitshow going on in the background? Yeah, defo one of the worst hosting jobs. It's indisputable. Utterly embarrassing hosting effort by KAN.

As far as the actual hosts go, the 2019 set wasn't very good (though I really liked Bar), far from the worst. If we follow the mathematical theorem that positive infinity is equal to negative infinity, then Toto and Gigiola are still the worst (and best) hosts of ESC. If not, then it's a toss-up between Eldar Gasimov and whoever the 2009 semi hosts were.

Alaska49

oh, i definitely think this year had the worst hosts ever. four hosts is already a bad situation by itself, and then one of them was assi azar, who made me wish i was born straight. the non-bar ones were pretty bad too and she wasn't nearly good enough to make up for it. and unlike the 2009 semi hosts, we didn't have green room reprieves with Russia's Best Human Dmitry Shepelev nor did we get rid of them in the grand final.

Top Bottom