Contact us

2013 World Men's Handball Championship in Spain (11 th - 27 th of January)

vatroslav_cro

Croatia/ Kroatien/ Croatie/ Croacia/ Croazia/ Hrva
The 23rd World Men's Handball Championship takes place in Spain, from 11th till 27th of January. The venues will be in six cities: Madrid, Barcelona, Zaragoza, Seville, Guadalajara and Granollers. 24 teams from five continents will participate in four groups to be shown below.

Here they are:

Group A

France
Germany
Argentina
Tunisia
Montenegro
Brazil

Group B

Denmark
Macedonia
Iceland
Qatar
Russia
Chile

Group C

Serbia
Slovenia
Poland
South Korea
Belarus
Saudi Arabia

Group D

Spain
Croatia
Hungary
Algeria
Egypt
Australia

Good luck to all the teams:)!

Milos-BC

For the first time since many years I think :rs: had a good draw. I don't want to underestimate any of our opponents but I believe that the only real problems will be with :pl: . South Korea and Slovenia may also be tricky, but I believe that pure quality is on our side here.

I do not have high expectations though. I hope that we will only pass the group and then what happens, happens. We play oldfashioned and predictable handball. It died with the era of Metaloplastika, and that is our main problem. Our attacks are too monotone. We don't use wings at all, we don't know how to play counter attacks and the only thing we are doing is scoring from back and pivot positions. Hopefully Marko Vujin, Momir Ilic and of course, DARKO STANIC (:D) will be in a good shape, because a lot of things will depend on that.

But anyway, I hope for the best.

CPV4931

I hope, Germany will do better than in recent competitions...

aletem

:mk: plays Chile and Qatar in the first two rounds, which is pretty good as they can later analyze how the other European teams played their first two games. I think that ending 2nd in the group would be the best option, as we can avoid Spain in a possible 1/4-final encounter or Hungary. It's the only way that :mk: can hope for a medal. xpray

vatroslav_cro

As for me, I won't expect anything as well. We have a lot of young players, Ivano Balić and Denis Buntić are not in the list, so they have no chance to play, of course. It is called "the change of generations". If the younger players will do well, then good result is possible, but some say that the 1/4 final would be a great success .... well, let's see. Honestly - nothing would surprise me....as we sink in everything, we can easily sink in this thing too ....

Milos-BC

^^ Too bad Balic is not playing. One of my favorite players and one of your best handball players ever.

vatroslav_cro

Good old times, yes....

Anyway, the championship started today, the first match was between Spain and Algeria. Spain won 27-14 (14-5 in halftime).

I hope that the other forum members (I know there are some handball fans, or at least, watchers:)) will join this.

Jeffie

It's typical Danish to try to play underdogs :p But I won't do that this time... Especially after our fail at the olympics.. - I believe that Denmark will do well, we have revenge for 2011, where we lost in the final :p we have a fine group where we can beat all if we play our best, we start against Qatar tonight. It should be a good huge win :)

Speaking of this championship... I am not a fan of the new tournament structure... I loved the intial group round which turned in to the main round and then semis and Finals.. Now you just have to be 4th in your group to qualify to the play-off stage = Less matches :p

Tinchey

Hmm since there has been major generation shift in our team I won't expect anything. Besides croatian handball already brought so many medals, so I'm hoping for someone to shine.. like Montenegro or Macedonia. I'm not watching our match with Australia but it seems like we're handling it well (as expected). It is likely that Spain will win, but there's always France... dunno... If we reach semis I'd be more than satisfied. :D

vatroslav_cro

Croatia 36 - 13 Australia

Great match and good opening! Yes, weak rival, but sometimes it is even harder to play against weaker teams. No injuries, it is very important .... and some young players even reached at least one goal. Now, I hope we will raise this level and tempo with every further match. I am satisfied. :)

Jeffie

Denmark won their first match 41-27... Not very satisfying, we decided to play without Mikkel Hansen so he could be ready for tomorrow :)

Our defense was especially poor :)

aletem

Ok :mk: played one of their worst game ever, but won, so that's what counts. :D It can only go better now!

Milos-BC

:rs: - :kr: 31-22

Not an impressive play but there is a difference in quality between us and South Korea and it was seen on the field. It is very important that we managed to win this first match that is always the hardest one from the psychological part. Now we have 1 day to rest and prepare for the next match against Belarus. I believe we are the clean favorites there but no one should be underestimated, and that is why we need to have a serious approach against outsiders like Belarus as well.

aletem

Much better play for :mk:, as they defeated Qatar with 34:30. :mk: had +11 goal lead in the first half and in the second they were keeping their strength for the other matches. Though, this should have been a much more convincing win. :roll: 2 wins are 2 wins and that is important! :mrgreen:

Scooby

Tunisia rocks Germany xyes

Milos-BC

Wow, really?

That is a surprise for me..........

Germany has the strongest handball league in Europe (or at least one of the strongest ones), but their national team is currently not on that level. Although, this still is a surprise for me....

aletem

The referees won't allow Germany to be eliminated, I am sure of it. :p

Milos-BC

:rs: 34 - 28 :by:

We have secured the 1/8 finals after this match :D We are still oscillating a lot and I am not really satisfied with how we are playing, but even this is more than enough to beat Belarus. I am satisfied with how the new players adapted to the team though. Belarus is a better team than I expected. Their keeper is really good. They controlled the match in the first 15 minutes but then it looked like they got tired and it was a routine for us to get a big advantage that we didn't gamble away until the end. We even had a +11 lead at one point.

Next rival is Saudi Arabia.

vatroslav_cro

Croatia 31 : 20 Algeria

Everything as expected. NOT so easy like it was against Australia, this was a little bit harder team, so this was quite good. The game was strong, our defense functioned well......no serious injuries, except Blazenko Lackovic's finger but it should be ok soon, he had some problems with that even before the championship I think....
This was a good preparation for Hungary tomorrow (first bigger exam) :)

Top Bottom