Contact us

2011 World Men's Handball Championship - Sweden

Milos-BC

200px-Big_logo_2_0.jpg

Any handball fans here? :mrgreen: This is a topic where we can discuss everything about this upcoming handball world cup in Sweden (13-30 January).

These are the groups:

Group A (Kristianstad/Lund)

Bahrain
Egypt
France
Germany
Spain
Tunisia

Group B (Norrköping/Linköping)

Austria
Brazil
Hungary
Iceland
Japan
Norway

Group C (Malmö/Lund)

Algeria
Australia
Croatia
Denmark
Romania
Serbia

Group D (Gothenburg)

Argentina
Chile
South Korea
Poland
Slovakia
Sweden

About :rs: I think that the biggest rivals in our group are :dk:: and :hr:. Those two matches will be very hard. :ro: is our direct rival for 3rd place. Well, hope for the best :)

Megasalt

I live in Malmö and this event hasn't passed unnoticed ;). I'm not really a handball fan, but one of my friends are and he's really looking forward to it.

aletem

Well, Sweden is lucky to be in group D. They should be first in that group. Chile will be the biggest outsider, alongside with Australia, in this tournament. I think group A is the hardest. Anyone, except Bahrain, has a chance to advance. Tunisia and Egypt are pretty good teams. Surprised that Russia hasn't qualified.
I hope Hungary does well, as we are facing them in March. This will be a great opportunity to win over them and hope that we will qualify for the second time on the EURO tournaments, after the tournament in 1998.

Isabella

I loooove handball and can't wait for World Championship to start :D
We have a new coach. I hope for medal as every year. Our hanball team brought us the most medals in history of Croatian sports. Our biggest rivals in group is Denmark and Serbia. I hope we'll be 1st in our group :twisted: :lol:

@aletem - I think Sweden has chosen their group and that's why it looks easy for them. If I remember right, when Croatia was the host, we could pick a group, because we were the hosts :)

aletem

Yep, yep, I know. This is why Sweden should be first in their group. Croatia chose a tough group on the last world cup. I was actually surprised. :eek: And if one non-European team makes it to the second round, my money go on South Korea. Slovakia will likely be out. Also the winner of Egypt vs. Germany will also give the other qualificant.
Who is the new Croatian coach Isabela? Lino Cervar is the current coach of our Metalurg. :cool:

Isabella

Slavko Goluža is our coach now. He is ex-captain and ex-assistant coach of Croatia. I think he will be a great coach. Lino is a great coach too.
I didn't know Lino is still coach of Metalurg. I thought he is going to USA or something. They were saying he could help USA to develop handball there.

I was surprised too :lol: I think it was Lino's tactics to choose a tough group. I still don't get it :lol:
Yeah, South Korea is good. I think they can surprise. I remember, we barely won against them in Split :shock:
And I'm sorry there is no Macedonia. I will miss Kiro Lazarov :( I think you have a good team too.

aletem

Meh, nothing to be sorry about. :lol: We didn't even get to the play-offs. :shock: Won over Turkey and tied with Lithuania, unfortunately Litva won over Turkey with bigger goal difference. :lol: I'm sure we'll be in for the EURO, as we are in a group with Hungary, Bosnia and Estonia. And we already have 3 points. Win over Estonia and an away tie in the evil Skenderija hall in Bosnia. :twisted: So, we are on the right track. Until then, we can just watch and learn. :mrgreen:
Goluza, ha. I remember him from 2003, when he lifted the trophy. :eek:

Scooby

This would be interesting competition! Serbia qualified and I'll cheer for our guys of course, but my favorite team number one on this champs is Croatia!!!!

So my predictions for group stage is:

Group A
1. France
2. Spain
3. Germany
4. Egypt
------------
5. Tunisia
6. Bahrain

Group B
1. Norway
2. Iceland
3. Hungary
--------------
4. Austria
5. Brazil
6. Japan

Group C
1. Croatia
2. Denmark
3. Serbia
4. Algeria
---------------
5. Romania
6. Australia

Group D
1. Sweden
2. Poland
3. South Korea
4. Slovakia
---------------
5. Argentina
6. Chile

Isabella

@aletem - Good luck to Macedonia. It seems like easy group, so I think you should qualify ;) :D

@Scooby - xkiss :mrgreen:

Milos-BC

:rs: has a new coach too. Good thing we don't have Sead Hasanefendic anymore, we played prehistoric handball with him on the bench :lol: Too bad Jovica Cvetkovic is gone, he began establishing a great game and a stable team, we also had a fairly good result in Croatia two years ago, and nobody expected anything. Then they fired him and brought Hasanefendic who basically lost all three matches in Austria last year, but worse than that, he destroyed everything Cvetkovic did before. That tie with Iceland on the opening was extremely lucky.

In the first control match :rs: defeated :ru: with 37:34, but we demolished the Russian team and had even +10, which I didn't saw on any our match recently :lol: Then we fell in the second half, and that has to change, because it will be severely punished if we do the same on the world cup.

I hope that Momir Ilic, Marko Vujin, Mladen Bojinovic (if he returns) and Ivan Nikcevic, our best players atm will show what they're made of :D I think the final will be played between France and Croatia (again :lol:)

P.S. I forgot Sesum

aletem

^
Good lord, no! I don't want France in the final. I don't like how they play, neither the male or the female team. I know they are good, but still, I never liked their style. :? Definitely one Nordic country will be in the final and I have a hunch that it will be Sweden. Norway has no chance, Denmark - not that much, Iceland has a decent shot. I'm counting Germany off and Spain too. Well, we'll see. I haven't watched male handball in two years or so, so I shouldn't rush with predictions/conclusions.

Interrail

I will probably watch the world handball championship matches (cause in January there's nothing else to watch), but I think Serbian team won't make a good result. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think recently we won only Russia (who's not even competing in WC) and lost from Tunisia (wtf??), so I think we have no chance against Denmark, Croatia, Romania.

Isabella

^ I think you have a chance for a good result. You'll probably win against Romania and you know Serbia vs. Croatia matches are always exciting and you can't be sure who will win :lol:
Good luck to both countries :D

I wouldn't be so sure about Croatia and France in the final ;) We have a new coach now and some very young players, so I'm not too confident. But if we finish in the finals, please god no France. We always lose in the finals against them :( :lol:

Milos-BC

^^ I think that won't be a problem, Croatia has a great handball tradition, and I think the new players will fit great. Many people said that Germany won't do great on the FIFA world cup this year, and in fact they played great and achieved a great result. Same goes for our water polo players. Nobody believed we will be the world champions when we got many new players in the team, but we did :D So I think that won't be a problem.

Hm, I personally think you will wreck us, but indeed Serbia - Croatia matches are the most exciting matches as well, and you never know who will win :lol:

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
I loooove handball and can't wait for World Championship to start :D
We have a new coach. I hope for medal as every year. Our hanball team brought us the most medals in history of Croatian sports. Our biggest rivals in group is Denmark and Serbia. I hope we'll be 1st in our group :twisted: :lol:

+1

Go Croatia :hr: xcheer

Schlagerman1

Oh Handball, so many memories from the golden days in the 90s and early 00s! :D Hope our guys will be inspired by our girls that surprisingly got silver in Euro Champs! :D

This is my guess on how it will go in the groups! :)

Group A
1. Germany
2. Spain
3. France
4. Egypt
5. Tunisia
6. Bahrain

Group B
1. Norway
2. Iceland
3. Hungary
4. Brazil
5. Austria
6. Japan

Group C
1. Croatia
2. Denmark
3. Serbia
4. Romania
5. Algeria
6. Australia

Group D
1. Poland
2. Sweden
3. South Korea
4. Slovakia
5. Argentina
6. Chile

Milos-BC

:rs: defeated :ba: with 39:26 xcheer Good thing for raising the self-confidence. Now we only have one more control match against :at:, and hopefully it will end the same way (sorry Ronny :oops:)

Isabella

^ Congrats! :D

Croatia will participate in tournament in France during this weekend. Tomorrow we play against South Korea. Argentina and France will participate too. Good luck to us :mrgreen:

Isabella

We won against South Korea. Yaaay! :D And France won against Argentina ;)
Tomorrow is the final against tournament's hosts, France. I really wish we lose this game. Gosh, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't want to win tomorrow. I hope we keep that win for Championship in Sweden. I read today that France and Croatia are the biggest favorites for the winner in betting odds. So if that really happens, I hope we win in the final and lose tomorrow :lol:

Isabella

France - Croatia 29:28 :p

Now I feel a bit sad. Although I said I want Croatia to lose this game :lol: We were leading the whole game and lost it in last 3 minutes :(
I know they didn't play on their best level, so I'm really optimistic about World Championship. I hope we show France our real face in Sweden :twisted:

Top Bottom