Contact us

🌾 WV BOWIE 124 🌾 SEMI FINAL 2 | DEADLINE: 25th May | 20:00CEST (Votes to AshleyWright)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ausesken

Admitting that I thought some songs were 'absolute bullshit' is offensive to you? Well, I'm telling you, such politeness should not be demanded of me, because it will not be given. If I can't speak truths I'd rather be silent, but in silence there is no room for understanding. So I say what I want to say and most often that is very much just my feelings about something put into words. If people disagree with what I say, well, there's no harm in disagreement. We are all tolerant human beings I would assume. Furthermore, I was not singling anyone or any song out. It should be no surprise that in a set of 50 songs some of them are not rated at all by someone. I was speaking of my own experience and that I find some songs to be a total waste of time should offend no one. Tolerating such entries is what is required to enjoy the rest of it and I enjoy it very much.
Not to me, nor to anyone in particular. As you say, you didn't mention any song, but you will agree that saying "I don't like the chord progression of this song / I think this song does nothing to me / I don't like the singer's voice, etc." is not the same as saying they are bullshit. Many of us think very well what songs we want to send to Worldvision, and we send them because we like them a lot, and even we do not send some other songs because we know other people won't like them and we prefer not to see how it falls in the semis. What does it mean? That our entries are special to us, might be bullshit for you, but not for us, and expressing your opinions in such terms is not respectful towards the other participants. I'm not saying you can't be honest, I'm just saying you should find the best way to be honest AND not being destructive.

Uto

Veteran
Not to me, nor to anyone in particular. As you say, you didn't mention any song, but you will agree that saying "I don't like the chord progression of this song / I think this song does nothing to me / I don't like the singer's voice, etc." is not the same as saying they are bullshit. Many of us think very well what songs we want to send to Worldvision, and we send them because we like them a lot, and even we do not send some other songs because we know other people won't like them and we prefer not to see how it falls in the semis. What does it mean? That our entries are special to us, might be bullshit for you, but not for us, and expressing your opinions in such terms is not respectful towards the other participants. I'm not saying you can't be honest, I'm just saying you should find the best way to be honest AND not being destructive.
Look, we can do this whole tango fandango about how I should not hurt other people's feelings, but fact of the matter is that the bar here is just set way and way too low for me to be acceptable. If people can't handle some semi-random dude making a somewhat unsavory remark about how in the face of disappointment he thought a couple of songs were crap it's just time to grow a spine. It might not be 'nice', but it's certainly not pernicious. I was even giving whiteshoes a little pat on the back when making the remark.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
It's not necessarily about them not being able to take the remark, it's just unnecessary to give your opinions in such a rude manner. People are fully aware their songs aren't for everyone, it's just a matter of showing your displeasure in a way that is respectful. Whiteshoes and I (and others) have a bit of light banter back and forth joking about 12s and mocking each others entries etc but it's still respectful.

JamieBrown

I wanted to join the discussion and express that people's taste in music here is "absolute disastrous bullshit", apart of my former potmates for sure, but then I found out it's just my personal unpopular opinion xcookie #NotSoElite

Last edited:

fer20

About musical tastes,
Dante Mantovani, an orchestra conductor appointed by :poop:Bolsonaro :poop: as the head of Funarte (National Arts Foundation) links rock to "abortion industry" o_O

Last edited:

Ausesken

Not so unpopular; we all have our opinions on other people's music taste, but given it's something that belongs to subjectivity, I find it unnecessary to externalise my opinion with whatever words that come to my mind. In the process of growing up we are taught to use different registers and to communicate respectfully with others, which is not the same as lying and pretending you like something. It's part of the assertiveness. I think what I say makes sense.

EurovisionSmile

Veteran
Not so unpopular; we all have our opinions on other people's music taste, but given it's something that belongs to subjectivity, I find it unnecessary to externalise my opinion with whatever words that come to my mind. In the process of growing up we are taught to use different registers and to communicate respectfully with others, which is not the same as lying and pretending you like something. It's part of the assertiveness. I think what I say makes sense.

Of course, Olga we can just say these songs or this song isn't my taste or it is/they are pretty bad. The thing is when it comes to post that others' taste suck or something like that, it's disrespectufl. Who are we to label others' taste in such an insane way? As Ash mentioned, we all play with subjects with pots, 12's and all that stuff. But we do it as a community and even being far from sharing music taste, that is what definies a community IMO. I've got personal friends who share my taste and I can't do anything to avoid giving them most of the points I've got to give. But I've also got friends who are far from what I love and sometimes they surprise me and I give them many points, regardless of the remaining aspets. Speaking freely is obviously allowed, expressing opinions is fine. Labelling others' taste as s*it is being rude. That's the way I see it. We can communicate issues like this without dramas, but it seems to me here are no superior beings enlightened with what the real wonders in music are as if it was an objective thing. We all feel a mixture of frustration and sadness when our songs or other songs we love don't qualify. Being disrespectful to what others like is completely different.

Last edited:

JamieBrown

Of course we just need to respect that every individual search for different aspects when it comes to music. Some need positive vibes, some just want emotions. Leave it like it is, but don't be rude about that. That is actually what I would've said.

Uto

Veteran
It's not necessarily about them not being able to take the remark, it's just unnecessary to give your opinions in such a rude manner. People are fully aware their songs aren't for everyone, it's just a matter of showing your displeasure in a way that is respectful. Whiteshoes and I (and others) have a bit of light banter back and forth joking about 12s and mocking each others entries etc but it's still respectful.
It is necessary to let anyone have a decent modicum of freedom of expression. Chastising those who might not keep within the bounds of the usual but remain within the bounds of the acceptable is what I find rude. Quite frankly, the whole process of underscoring 'respectful' as if I am lacking in respect it just obnoxious in that regard. You probably know fully well that no harm, no lack of respect, no single iota of all that was meant by my remark. Then don't read that into it.

esc87fan

This is not the place for drama! I don't like a lot of the mainstream pop that people send to WV these days, but at least I'm polite about it and simply say that I'm not a fan of that style of music or the particular song - that lets me have an opinion without trashing the other players' tastes

My motto in WV (and even NSC) is this: I don't send anything that I don't believe in. Sometimes I get lucky, and sometimes I don't, and yes I do get frustrated or upset at times when something I believe in fails to qualify, especially when it finishes close to last in a semi - it's just the luck of the draw and the semi company you're surrounded by. But that doesn't mean I don't stop trying, it means that there are people out there who liked what I sent

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
About musical tastes,
Dante Mantovani, an orchestra conductor appointed by :poop:Bolsonaro :poop: as the head of Funarte (National Arts Foundation) links rock to "abortion industry" o_O
oh my god that video lkaljksadjkdjklad i hope he never sees the FSC entry this month

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Every edition has a winner and multiple last places. I would be shocked if anyone who comes last feels that their entry merits last place, but the simple, honest truth is that someone has to come last in every semi and every final. You can be emotional (in the broadest sense of the word!) about your result, of course, but to turn that emotion into an attack on other entries is against the spirit of the game. Every single player here has not qualified on occasion and knows the pain of their fellows not agreeing with them about the strength of their entry. Only very few have turned that pain into malevolence and they are not well remembered by the overwhelming majority of players who make up this wonderful community. Nobody here likes EVERY entry (we REALLY miss Ringdalen!!) so it's bleeding obvious that every player will dislike some of the qualifiers. Imagine if we ALL posted that. Every semi. Is that the Worldvision we want to live in? Of course not.

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm here to tell you that everyone has awful music taste except me, and that doing anything other than giving me 12 every edition is the moral equivalent of setting my elderly grandmother's retirement home on fire.

I especially direct this message towards the following people, who have the worst taste of all the people who exist:

@Gera11, @Lupus, @AshleyWright, @RainyWoods, @lavieenrose, @whiteshoes, @Stargazer, @EurovisionSmile, @theCONWEL, @JamieBrown, @Sultana, @anaraqueen

Take that, losers. #owned #DESTROYEDbyFACTSandLOGIC

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
I'm here to tell you that everyone has awful music taste except me, and that doing anything other than giving me 12 every edition is the moral equivalent of setting my elderly grandmother's retirement home on fire.

I especially direct this message towards the following people, who have the worst taste of all the people who exist:

@Gera11, @Lupus, @AshleyWright, @RainyWoods, @lavieenrose, @whiteshoes, @Stargazer, @EurovisionSmile, @theCONWEL, @JamieBrown, @Sultana, @anaraqueen

You mean they saw through my alibi! Oh heck... :eek:

Wait, you said "Moral equivalent"... OOOPS

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

First the other thread and now this one, Gabe your attacks cut deep. xcry

9GWW.gif

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

EXCUSE ME?
giphy.gif

Your......your throat hits stink! There, i said it.

Wow i got that mention xheat

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
@anaraqueen @Lupus you are both irrelevances when compared to my almighty majesty, and as such I have chosen not to read your messages that you have written with your measly peasant fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom