Contact us

Iceland / WV 183: LEGEND - Midnight Champion

ShoeFlo

QqjzLLn.jpg

mecu66fe.png

Ísland

No. of Participations – 134
First Participation – WV 01
No. of Wins – 6 (WV 10, 45, 104, 120, 144, 172)
No. of Qualifications – 87 (65%)

Whiteshoes Statistics

No. of Participations – 131
First Participation – WV 39
No. of wins – 6 (WV 45, 103, 120, 139, 154, 172)
Worst Result - 21st out of 22 in SF (WV 156)
No. of Qualifications – 91 (69%)

WV 176 Entry:

Toneron - Life

whiteshoes:
is.png
WV 39 || Semifinal: 16th - 047 points | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Árstiðir - Á meðan jörðin sefur
is.png
WV 40 || Semifinal: 15th - 053 points | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Sin fang - Look at the light
is.png
WV 41 || Semifinal: 15th - 052 points | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || I svörtum fötum - Paradís
is.png
WV 42 || Semifinal: 03rd - 093 points | Final: 08th - 141 pts || Of Monsters and Men - Dirty Paws
is.png
WV 43 || Semifinal: 20th - 042 points | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Skálmöld - Kvaðning
is.png
WV 44 || Semifinal: 04th - 092 points | Final: 12th - 126 pts || Ólafur Arnalds ft. Haukur Heiðar Hauksson - A hundred reasons
is.png
WV 45 || Semifinal: 07th - 073 points | Final: 01st - 191 pts || Kaleo - Vor í Vaglaskógi
is.png
WV 46 || Semifinal: PREQUALIFIER| Final: 21st - 095 pts || Agent Fresco - Dark Water
is.png
WV 47 || Semifinal: 11th - 064 points | Final: 26th - 082 pts || Dikta - Thank You
is.png
WV 48 || Semifinal: 15th - 051 points | Final: 21st - 093 pts || Jónsi - Tornado
is.png
WV 49 || Semifinal: 04th - 100 points | Final: 19th - 095 pts || Ásgeir - Dýrð i dauðaþögn
is.png
WV 50 || Semifinal: 03th - 109 points | Final: 08th - 144 pts || Thorsteinn Einarsson - Leya
is.png
WV 51 || Semifinal: 17th - 047 points | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Tilbury - Tenderloin
is.png
WV 52 || Semifinal: 11th - 065 points | Final: 06th - 155 pts || Sigur Rós - Hoppipolla
is.png
WV 53 || Semifinal: 02nd - 109 points | Final: 08th - 141 pts || Low Roar - Friends Make Garbage
is.png
WV 54 || Semifinal: 06th - 068 points | Final: 26th - 076 pts || Rökkurró - Sjónarspil
is.png
WV 55 || Semifinal: 15th - 051 points | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Ásgeir - Hærra
is.png
WV 56 || Semifinal: 15th - 051 points | Final: 05th - 164 pts || Ólafur Arnalds - Fyrsta
is.png
WV 57 || Semifinal: 01st - 091 points | Final: 09th - 141 pts || Árstiðir - Himinhvel

Stäwen:
is.png
WV 58 || Semifinal: TBA | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Svala - The Real Me
is.png
WV 59 || Semifinal: TBA | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Jón ft. Haffi Haff - Hljómsveitin Jón
is.png
WV 60 || Semifinal: TBA | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Sniglabandið - Britney
is.png
WV 61 || Semifinal: TBA | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Thorunn Antonia - Too Late
is.png
WV 62 || Semifinal: TBA | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Unnur Eggerts - Stólin Augnablik
is.png
WV 63 || Semifinal: TBA | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || GusGus- Over
is.png
WV 64 || Semifinal: TBA | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || JFM ft. Steed Lord - Viva la Brea
is.png
WV 65 || Semifinal: TBA | Final: 22nd - ??? pts || Rok & Yohanna - Find a Better Man

whiteshoes:
is.png
WV 66 || Semifinal: 08th - 061 pts | Final: 15th - 133 pts || Sólstafir - Miðaftann
is.png
WV 67 || Semifinal: 05th - 075 pts | Final: 18th - 119 pts || Rökkurró - Svanur
is.png
WV 68 || Semifinal: 10th - 062 pts | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || John Grant - Global Warming
is.png
WV 69 || Semifinal: 14th - 052 pts | Final: 18th - 125 pts || Brunaliðið - Ástarsorg
is.png
WV 70 || Semifinal: no idea - no idea | Final: 13th - many pts || Sigur Rós - Starálfur
is.png
WV 71 || Semifinal: 07th - 076 pts | Final: 18th - 127 pts || Júníus Meyvant - Color Decay
is.png
WV 72 || Semifinal: 02nd - 081 pts | Final: 18th - 117 pts || Mono Town - In The Eye of the Storm
is.png
WV 73 || Semifinal: 04th - 082 pts | Final: 2nd - 174 pts || Árstíðir - Ró
is.png
WV 74 || Semifinal: 10th - 061 pts | Final: 6th - 162 pts || Sigur Rós - Dauðalogn
is.png
WV 75 || Semifinal: 17th - 043 pts | Final: DNQ - DNQ pts || Mammút - Ströndin
is.png
WV 76 || Semifinal: 1st - 093 pts | Final: 2nd - 224 pts || Kaleo - Way Down We Go
is.png
WV 77 || Semifinal: ??? - ??? | Final: 8th - ??? pts || CeaseTone - Humble History Song
is.png
WV 78 || Semifinal: ??? - ??? pts | Final: 3rd - ??? pts || Sin Fang, Sóley & Örver Smárason -
Random Haiku Generator
is.png
WV 79 || Semifinal: ??? - ??? pts | Final: ??? - ??? pts || Kontinuum - Í Gljúfradal

Last edited:

ShoeFlo

Hot pic. I wish you'd gotten a photo with Angelika Milster at her concert. Maybe you did actually but are too shy and smitten in love to share it with the world xheart

Gosh, I never told you the full story about the Milster concert. It probably sounds unbelievable to you but In fact I had a little talk with her during her show

In fact, I didn't go to the concert by own choice. I've been a freelancer journalist for a local newspaper for 3 years now and they engaged me to go to that concert which was as I told you a "Best of Musical hits"-concert. I am usually the "chosen one" for concerts/theatre and similar events, since I am apparently gifted in writing reviews.
However, this was in fact an awful day for me cause the camera I took from the newspaper office was broken (the newspaper has just a few photographs so it's normal that the writers also take the photos and get an extra fee for doing so) and I noticed it only when the concert had already started. So, I desperately decided to try to make the photo with my mobile instead but therefore I had to leave my seat and go down the aisle.
After she finished one song she noticed me standing there on the aisle having a mobile in my hand and suddenly she speaks to me like "How dare you to play with your mobile during my concert?" She wasn't really mad on me, in fact that is her way of making fun and she is communitacting a lot with the attendance anyway. I explained the situation to her (it is a small venue, with a capacity of like 500 seats, so I could actually communicate to her standing on the aisle) and she answered "Oh so you are my critic tonight, I hope you are not too harsh on me." Then I was just mumbling something and she clarified she was just making fun.

To be honest I felt uncomfortable in that moment "standing in the focus" and I was already stressed because of the camera problem but retrospectively the way she casually entertains her fans during the show and her ironical humour left a good impression on me and I have kept her in good memory not only for he powerful voice but also for her personality. :D

ShoeFlo

SÖNGVAKEPPNIN 124 - MYRRA RÓS
For WV 124 I decided to send a rather unknown singer-songwriter named Myrra Rós from the small fishing village Stokkseyri in the South of Iceland. She is notorious for calm, sensitive and melancholic chamber pop ballads with spare instrumentation, mostly strings and guitars, but the best instrument is her gentle voice. In the past she was also member of the rising post-rock band VAR as both, keaboardist and singer. This proves her versatility. An attitude that is inherent in most Icelandic artists and Icelandic people in general.
Btw, just for the case you fall for it: Myrra Rós doesn't have anything to do with Sigur Rós. Rós is the icelandic word for rose and at the same time it is a female name that often appears in a combination with another name. Sigurrós is a female name itself, precisely the name of lead singer Jonsís younger sister Sigurrós Elín Birgisdottir. Eh, just a short digression.

These are the three songs:

1. Dark Horse

2. One Amongst Others

3. Við Og Við Tvö

I don't want you to rank the songs.. just rate each of them from :0: to :12: ... you can also rate two songs of with the same number if you like or dislike them equally. You can even rate all songs the same but then your voting won't have much impact, I guess.

Thanks in advance!

ShoeFlo

Thank you :cy: and :us: , much appreciated! :)

After six votings it looks like a two horse race:
1. 45 points
2. 43,5 points
3. 35

But things can change quickly. I am still hoping for the votings of a few more people, especially those who I invited via private message :D you can be sure, I will return the favour as soon as you bring a NF online ;)

I will randomly drop a few more user names here

@ZoboCamel @Genesis @Gera11

Btw, you can vote until 18th May, 14:00 CET

Genesis

Hello Shoeflo! I shall have a look into your NF soon. I also want to let you know, that I think mentions are broken, and they don't seem to work for me at all. I didn't get any notification.

ShoeFlo

So that means you checked this thread by your own choice ... I feel honoured xheat

I think the mentions actually work for me at least when Gera mentions me for spin-off polls xthink anyway, thanks for pointing it out, I will make sure Gera and James will get my invitation by another way :D

Genesis

So that means you checked this thread by your own choice ... I feel honoured xheat

I felt someone is summoning me

SpitefulCaringFieldmouse-size_restricted.gif

I think the mentions actually work for me at least when Gera mentions me for spin-off polls xthink anyway, thanks for pointing it out, I will make sure Gera and James will get my invitation by another way :D

I think mentions work for Mods, but not for a normal user. I saw this somewhere, but don't know if it's been confirmed in any way

Genesis

Gooooshhh. I completely forgot to vote in your NF. I hope though, that you are happy with the winner xcheer

ShoeFlo

:is: WV 124: Myrra Rós – One Amongst Others :is:

Lyrics

Still
Footprints in the snow
Suddenly a stranger
Swiftly gone is he
Another need to follow
As I grasp for something greater than
The hollow
Of the seasons passing by

I so clearly hear
The changes in your walk and
You're not even here
For the changing of the season
You're not even there
I can see the changes in your eyes
I can see the changes in
Your eyes.

Still
Footprints in the snow
Suddenly a stranger
Swiftly gone is he
Another need to follow
As I grasp for something greater than
The hollow
Of the seasons passing by

I so clearly hear
You're not even there
You're not even here
But I can see the changes in your eyes
I can see the changes in

Oh life is just
Oh nothing but
Your life is just a test
And you'll be gone, like the rest.

I so clearly hear
Your not even there
Your not even here
But I can see the changes in your eyes
I can see the changes in
Your eyes

Btw, I didnt say thank you for the last couple of voters: :jp: :hu: and :dk: xcheer .. in between, :ch: voted but I thanked him already

This is the final result: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ytc5e5DOo3-OVEcajn_sQMXIEepicpjZ6ADg8t1s3DY/edit?usp=sharing

The result is deceiving as it suggests it was a clear-cut win..However, after James voted "Við Og Við Tvö" actually took the lead and looked like a possible winner. Then however Gabor, Daniel and Nikolai showed up and pushed "One Amongst Others" to the top. "Dark Horse" didn't live up to its name and failed. What a shame for the pun lovers who were eager to declare Iceland the Dark Horse of this edition.

Uto

Veteran
Looking at those scores I'm not seeing a clear-cut win though. Tight as a gnat's chuff it is. Were three similar and strong songs there, so was to be expected. Almost felt guilty myself putting a difference of 4 points on the board.

ShoeFlo

:is: WV 125: Low Roar – Patience :is:

Lyrics

I'm sick of losing
My patience
Out of time
Lacking rhythm

Barely conscious
Over sensitized
Feeling weaker
As I stumble around

Get out of my mind
Get out of my mind

In the morning
Rests the paper
Heavy snowfall
Wakes the neighbours

The alarm calls
I clean out my eyes
Feeling nauseous
As the world spins around

Get out of my mind
Get out of my mind

As I promised I chose a very very dear artist of my collection, one of my "heroic quartet" that I've listened to the most (Sigur Rós, Ásgeir, Kaleo, Low Roar). Users who are here longer than two years will certainly remember Low Roar. A band that is wavering somewhere between Folk, chamber Pop and Sigur Rós. Although the singer Ryan Karazija is originally from California his heavily atmospherical music captures the "Iceland spirit" better than most of the Icelandic artist could do. He produced so many Icebops (a term I just invented to describe wonderful Icelandic songs), I stopped counting them. I sent Low Roar back in WV 52 with their sweet and calming "Friends make garbage" that got 8th and later in WV 83 (I think, lol) I sent their super-depressive and insanely desperate "Help Me" that ended up somewhere in the lower mid-table.
In the NF for WV 83 this song took part and became 2nd place. However, back then I only had 5 voters and one of them isnt even in WV anymore (Nicholas) so the result is kinda meaningless for today, but nevertheless I felt the urge to send Patience as it is possibly my favorite song of Low Roar. So far Low Roar did well in WV and won the hearts of many people. I hope they will continue doing so in this edition xcheer

ShoeFlo

:is: WV 126: Bang Gang ft. Esther Talia – Dive into the Deep Blue Sea :is:

Lyrics

Wait, for me to fade
Resting in your arms
Again alone

I will leave my home
Was I born to be alone
But my heart is strong
And my search goes on to see
If I can find my love

You take my hand and follow me
Together we can swim in the darkest stream
You’re gonna drown if you follow me
Take dive into the deep blue sea
Together we had a dream
We can bring it back if you set me free
We’ll meet again, if you follow me
Let's go together to the dark blue sea

(You) say, that you’re the same
But my love is gone
Again alone

I gave you trust, I gave you time
You fooled my heart, you stole my mind
Hurts in every single way
Gave me hope and it wasn’t true
It’s dying too

Together we had a dream

Together we had a dream

xcheer

Genesis

That is a really nice, moody Lil' entry, Shoeflo! I just wish words Bang Gang flipped positions for even more iconicness xheat
Good luck xcheer

Arion

OK I truly loved this entry. Been listening to it a lot since the semi. Thank you so much for submitting this.

ShoeFlo

SÖNGVAKEPPNIN 127: TRUBRÓT

SHAD131CD_pic.jpg

When the next edition comes to an end it'll be August, the month in which the legendary Woodstock festival took place in 1969. Four days of peace, freedom, drugs – and psychedelic rock music. Also in Iceland there were bands who got inspired by the spirit of Woodstock, the most famous one is called Trubrót, who had a short but successful career from 1969 to 1973.
Some old experienced WV members with good memory might remember two of the songs as I had included them in an "Oldie" NF for WV 69. Those two songs, "Án þín" and "Ég Veit Þú Kemur" are from Trubrots debut album which was way more psychedelic than their following albums. The two other songs that complete the NF line-up are from their second album which is more progressive rock-ish AND written completely in English which was a shock back then in Iceland... Icelanders love their language, it is sacred for them :mrgreen:
Hope the length of the third song doesn't put you off, I made up for it with the last song, that little sweet piano piece that only takes 2:30.

Anyway, this is my selection:

1. Ég Veit Þú Kemur

2. Án þín

3. Feel Me

4. To be Grateful

I don't want you to rank the songs.. just rate each of them from :0: to :12: ... you can also rate two songs of with the same number if you like or dislike them equally.

Thanks in Advance!

Voted:
Kyushu, :us: :ir:

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I saw hair, a cowboy hat and the words "psychedelic rock", and had to stop what I was doing (which was nothing) immediately to assist you.

Top Bottom