4 2.7%

11 7.4%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

lilka

Today is Greece's 50th anniversary in the Eurovision Song Contest. :)

On a personal note, the 50th participation anniversary of a country I fell deeply in love with 18 years ago also thanks to Eurovision.

So I guess it's a... Happy Birthday Greece! (Και ένα "χρόνια πολλά" από μένα ;))

Last edited:

lilka

That was uploaded some time ago, but because yesterday was the day, I thought I would post it here. That's a wonderful tribute to the 50 years.

Anna... xheart

Hy Dranger

Having just watched the music video I'm going to put this in the same class as the Estonian entry (and Finland last year)—totally bonkers! But it also reminds me of the Cypriot entry—another comedy video. Right now I have no idea what score to give the song itself, which does actually have quite a heavy vibe (another "bad boyfriend" song, why are they so common?), I'll have to listen to it again later. Marina's range is quite startling! Like Finland 2023 I suspect it will either take the world by storm, or have everyone run away screaming . . . .

ESC94

Today it was time for :gr: at the ESC kompakt songchecks 2024.

The verdict of the blogger:

Benny - This song really makes it difficult for me. There are some elements that I find absolutely brilliant, especially the innovative mix between traditional Greek elements and absolutely modern sounds. The high parts also offer an element of surprise (and I hope they work well live). However, some electronic sounds that remind me too much of video games tend to give me headaches and earaches. :8:

Berenike - With “ZARI”, Greece succeeds in perfectly combining folkloristic elements typical of the country with modern sounds. That's how I like Eurovision. You can hear where it comes from without it seeming stale. :8:

Douze Points - There is so much that bothers me about the song. There's Marina's high voice at the very beginning, then the wild mix of styles and generally the hectic pace. And then I think the song is really cool again. I'm extremely excited to see how they'll bring it to the stage. Until then :5:.

Flo - That's quite an achievement - a song that initially seems strenuous to the limit really takes off and becomes one of the best uptempo numbers of the year. The potential for a summer hit is there and there is also a lot to be gained from the live performance here. And above all, what works here par excellence is combining more traditional with modern elements - which didn´'t always work in previous years. :7:

Manu - The “Greek version” of the globally acclaimed Spanish singer Rosalía? It may be that Marina Satti is not just now using this musical style. The ESC could now help her achieve an international breakthrough. I really celebrate the creativity, the use of Greek folklore and the rhythm of the song - but in some places the high head voice throws me out. Not a song for all situations, but one that I like to move to. :10:

Max - I was a bit skeptical about the whole thing because Marina's style is very similar to Rosalia's. However, “ZARI” completely convinced me. Reggaeton beats from Greece? Who would have thought that? In addition, the traditional elements that Marina mixes here fit very well and so the Rosalia comparison now remains more distant to me than I previously feared. It's perhaps the ESC song I listen to most often this year. :12:

Peter -"ZARI” is one of my guilty pleasures from my personal upper third of the year. Marina has a great charisma (that intense look from her dark eyes in the video is magical) and an octave-strong top voice. But above all I like the so-called “national style”, the text (largely) in the local language, the changes in tempo, the pleasantly unwieldy instrumentation with classic Greek sounds. And that hip-hop-savvy awesome bass, it's independent and hauntingly great. :12:

Rick - I didn't expect reggaeton from Greece, but I'm celebrating that this successful genre is at the ESC. Marina is also an extremely authentic and talented artist. The number is going forward, will stand out and create a great atmosphere in the Malmö Arena. It's simply contemporary, cool, has a lot of country-specific features and is polarizing - which is positive. Because even though I've read from many Western European fans that "ZARI" is too hectic for them, fortunately enough other nations love this style of music and will certainly appreciate the number. Very strong entry!! :12:

lilka

Wooow, it's even better unplugged! :love:

Hy Dranger

I've just been listening to the Unplugged performance again (to compare to the Armenian live performance and music video) and this song continues to grow on me, so I've decided to give it my first :10: of the year. I love the sound of all the instruments and also the energy in both the Armenian and Greek songs but I think Marina's vocals are better. Her soprano singing comes across much better live than in the music video where the abrupt start to her singing is a bit of a shock to the system, so I hope her live performance is like the unplugged one.

It's a shame we can't have live instrumentals on stage, although it's allowed for the musicians to mime I think? (Eg. Alika's piano playing last year.)

Wynnter

This is incredibly addictive, I'm going to give it that. And a lot of fun too, so I'm hoping that the live show lifts it up the way it needs to. Because on the other end, it does sound a bit bizarre and kind of throws you around all over the place. The production also sounds quite flat for my tastes, which is a hindurance if this song wants higher points. The grower potential is still there though, because this manages to live rent free in my head. It's really nice to have something this out there but also authentic sounding at the same time.

:8: points

Iker

Veteran
Changing my score to 10. My favorite Greek entry since Opa!.

My favourite one since Oneiro Mou (hopefully the performance will live up to it this time around). But I did like quite much a few other Greek entries since then like for instance Last Dance, the song of Amanda Tenfjord never did much for me OTOH.

Paco Roca

I listened to the live version of "Zari" and I recognize Marina Satti's interested voice and the strength of a song that can play and involve even in a simple context.

I discovered that, together with Angelina Mango, Marina Satti is the female singer who manages to emanate a natural and unforced seduction.

I still have my doubts about how "Zari" will sound on the Malmö stage. The staging is a must and that could be the weak point. Mistakes should not be made for some reasons:

* Greece 2024 will not be voted for by the older generation.

* The 2024 edition is full of experimental and crazy sounding songs.

* "Zari" is a good song but has a very unique construction that blends a rap part (model... mmm... Kelis?) with traditional Greek sounds. It's not a linear melody that can basically reach most audiences. If you get the staging wrong, which on the ESC stage is larger than your backyard, it's serious and you will lose.

I wouldn't focus too much on the dancers (maximum 2) and I would leave the rest of the slots for the instrumental part to be performed live. The Balkan and Eastern countries will appreciate it very much.

If everything works properly I foresee a Moldova 2022. If everything goes wrong there is also the risk of a sensational NQ.

goncalovieira

Love it!!
Ta, ta, ta, ta. Well, I do not want to be delulu, but this song has some appeal to the Portuguese public.

Top Bottom