3 3.2%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

EscGeek

Veteran
Those lei's and la's got old pretty quickly... I hope they'll use the extra 35 seconds to do something on stage... :unsure:

EscGeek

Veteran
Has there ever in Eurovision history been an edition where two participating countries were in war with each other? The scenario doesn't seem too unlikely this year. In 2014 it was almost the case, I believe.
I guess Bosnia and Croatia in 1993?

Ewigkeit

Veteran
Sorry for being serious, but... I've checked.

Intro: 2
Lei lei lei lei la
Lei lei lei lei la
Ah ha ha

Each Chorus: 15
La la lai, la la lai lai,
la la la la la la la la la la la

1st chorus: 4 bar = 4 × 15 = 60
2nd chorus: 4 bar = 4 × 15 = 60
3rd chorus: 4 bar = 4 × 15 = 60
4th chorus after bridge = 2 bar = 2 × 15 = 30
5th chorus (outro) = 2 bar = 2 × 15 = 30

Bridge: 4
Lei lei lei lei la (lei lei lei lei la)
Lei lei lei lei la (lei lei lei lei la)
Ah ha ha
Ah ha ha
Ah ha ha
Haya haya!

So, in total:
2 + 60 + 60 + 60 + 30 + 30 + 4 = 246 la

'Jako' has more la's than Massiel's 'La La La' (126 la) and the current record holder, Betty Missiego's 'Su Cancion' (152 la).
Bro deserves an award for this fr

I have to admit it's repetitive, but the la la lay la la lays are so much fun that it makes you forget about anything else

han-g

I'm not sure what you're talking about

When I say not insignificant, I don't mean identical or even very similar just that indian and Armenian cultures have had interchange in the past which is why Jako sounds a little bit like indian music despite actually being traditional Armenian music.

People have made similar comparisons with ulveham and celtic music. Ulveham is a (mostly except for the metal) nordic cultural song, but the nordics and celtics had a cultural interchange in the past and that is why ulveham is giving some people celtic vibes.

Not even traditional music and culture were formed in a vacuum

Here's some reading

Grinch

Is this the final product? Sounds unfinished to me, like demo version.

aef

:am: has been quite a grower for me during the past days. From :4: to :7: points and into my top 10! Actually the music video made me start planning a Georgia and Armenia trip hahaha.

musicfan

The chorus is the weakest part but it does mix things up as apart from the verses there's the woodwind part, that deeper note, the call and response and the big note at the start (the intro is really good) and at the end when it builds to a good climax. I like that they didn't feel they had to make it 3 minutes as well. Her charisma will definitely help carry it on stage.

Wynnter

Cheerful, fun to listen to, memorable, but not particularly interesting to my taste. I like the identity it has formed for itself and I am expecting the live version to elevate it to another level, but as a studio cut it's simpy not interesting enough. It ends up staying at the same place doing what it's good at and leaving it at that, which is fine.

:6: points

ESC94

Today it was time for :am: at the ESC kompakt songchecks 2024.

The verdict of the bloggers:

Benny - This song was missing from the 2024 ESC class so far. Snappy ethno hit that's fun and 100% forward. It's also catchy. However, there are deductions for the slight nerve factor and the lack of an element of surprise. :7:

Berenike - A song according to the motto “more is more” when it comes to folklore. There was really no savings made. And that's exactly why I enjoy listening. At the same time, I'm glad that the song is only two and a half minutes long, because then the story of the song is already told and "lilale" was sung often enough. :8:

Douze Points - When I see and hear the singer, I immediately feel good. Musically, it's all learned and certainly not innovative. But in the ethno-folk corner it´s a really good mix of originality, energy and mass compatibility. :7:

Flo - “Jako” is humorous and should ensure a good atmosphere. Thanks to the clever production, the song is also accessible in the local language and has a unique selling point in this year thanks to its very own style. Which should be promising for LADANIVA and Armenia. :7:

Manu - I really like Jako and it puts me in an extremely good mood. I find Jaklin Baghdasaryan to be a very charismatic front singer, and multi-instrumentalist Louis Thomas is the perfect counterpart to her. I also noticed that I like the song much better with visual support (video/live performance) than just the audio. Convinced :10:.

Max - I'm torn here: It's just something special, something different and something very typical of the country. Of course, I always celebrate that, even when you hear local languages, especially one that you don't really hear otherwise. Nevertheless, the song has a certain nerve factor for me, and unfortunately I can't listen to the song at any time and in any mood. :6:

Peter - Awesome! The fusion of funk, funk jazz, Maloya folklore, ethno grooves and Caucasus rhythms makes “Jako” an ethno-based inspirational favorite. The final should be safe. LADANIVA's joy of playing is impressive and the independence of this funk melange will do the rest. :12:

Rick - For me, “Jako” embodies the actual spirit of the ESC: Getting to know new sounds and styles from a wide variety of cultures. That's why Armenia's contribution is very high in my mind. The song puts me in a good mood and I love how authentic this great duo remains. This is real “World music” with so many interesting influences and I really hope Europe appreciates it. :10:

ViVillRejv

The most charming duo of this year and an electrifying performance at the Spain preparty makes me think this song will enter the Top 10. 10 p.

Hy Dranger

I wouldn't call it electrifying but it's fun, but relies more on Ladaniva's personality than on the song I think since it is mainly the same words over and over. For that 'ethnic' vibe it doesn't match up to Marina Satti's ZARI "Unplugged" performance (which is so much better than her offical music video, vocally at least).

Overall, the general weakness in most of this year's entries has been somewhat mitigated by the number of entries that are in people's own language and which exude an ethnic flavour — whether it's Armenia, Greece, Cyprus or Norway, they easily outshine the blandness of entries such as the UK's Dizzy, which is a good argument for going back to letting people vote for a singer and song to represent them instead of just letting some talent agency anoint someone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom