13 10.1%

10 7.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

hijirio

Veteran
This will be a hot controversial take and I don’t want to be gatekeeping but I will lose all my respect for Hera as an artist unless she shows a slightest sign of support for Palestine during her Eurovision journey. It could even be a tiny social media post I don’t know. It feels very wrong to me to be silent ignoring the whole situation on the ground as you shake your hips while children are dying.

The situation is already extremely politicized and going to Malmö to sing a party dance anthem while a genocide and humanitarian tragedy is taking place is very obnoxious and audacious, especially when you take the place of a Palestinian singer who was aiming to deliver that important message.

Obviously we cannot gatekeep all the artists to say their political opinion one by one and force them to support Palestine but in her case, turning a blind eye to the events is awkward and a big statement on its own.

Can any Icelander here confirm if she made a comment on the events?

0scar

Well I don't necessarily disagree that she should make a statement about Gaza but not for the very reason because she "took the place of a Palestinian who aimed to make a statement and therefore she should do it", because she is her own person, if she didn't plan to make a statement she shouldn't be, as you said, gatekept to do so.

If you're okay with other artists participating in Eurovision 2024 with a dance anthem and shaking their hips without making any statement, you should be fine with Hera doing that as well.

Again, I think making a statement at Eurovision because you've got the platform should be applauded, but it shouldn't be frowned upon if someone doesn't. Each to their own call.

MopManMoss

Veteran
This will be a hot controversial take and I don’t want to be gatekeeping but I will lose all my respect for Hera as an artist unless she shows a slightest sign of support for Palestine during her Eurovision journey. It could even be a tiny social media post I don’t know. It feels very wrong to me to be silent ignoring the whole situation on the ground as you shake your hips while children are dying.

The situation is already extremely politicized and going to Malmö to sing a party dance anthem while a genocide and humanitarian tragedy is taking place is very obnoxious and audacious, especially when you take the place of a Palestinian singer who was aiming to deliver that important message.

Obviously we cannot gatekeep all the artists to say their political opinion one by one and force them to support Palestine but in her case, turning a blind eye to the events is awkward and a big statement on its own.

Can any Icelander here confirm if she made a comment on the events?
As someone who was all in for Bashar and Wild West, Hera didn't take his place, she beat him him, it is really rhat simple.

I don't want Israel in the competitive at all and haven't done for several years but we don't need every single artist to be doing constant activism for Palestine.

Your line about shaking hips whilst children die is honestly pathetic, hera shouldn't feel guilty for representing her country in an international cultural event, her absence or theoretical activism would deliver no meaningful change for the people of gaza and their plight.

hijirio

Veteran
She beat him him, it is really rhat simple.

I wonder if you think the same way about all the Belarusian and Moldovan NF’s.

The rumors that the voting would be rigged in Hera’s favor circulated long before the final took place, and at the time she was not even a forerunner favorite and here we are now. I will never be convinced that she won fair and square, but you do you.

As someone who was all in for Bashar and Wild West.

And well, I am speaking as someone who’s in favor of Hera Björk and did not really like Wild West as a song. Hera is currently barely missing my top 10 and I really like the song.

MopManMoss

Veteran
I wonder if you think the same way about all the Belarusian and Moldovan NF’s.

The rumors that the voting would be rigged in Hera’s favor circulated long before the final took place, and at the time she was not even a forerunner favorite and here we are now. I will never be convinced that she won fair and square, but you do you.
You are wasting my time if you are going to compare some of the most corrupt nations in Europe to Iceland.

The superfinal cost Bashar the ticket to malmo not corruption.
And well, I am speaking as someone who’s in favor of Hera Björk and did not really like Wild West as a song. Hera is currently barely missing my top 10 and I really like the song.
Hera is my 29th place but I'll defend her participation

hijirio

Veteran
You are wasting my time if you are going to compare some of the most corrupt nations in Europe to Iceland.

The superfinal cost Bashar the ticket to malmo not corruption.

Hera is my 29th place but I'll defend her participation
Jesus, it has nothing to do with corruption.

Just the opposite, if Iceland was a corrupt country, they would have found a way to rig it in Bashar’s favor.

I’m talking about voting manipulation from exterior circles, call me a conspiracist, I have no way to prove this, just the way you have no way to prove that the voting system is what cost Bashar the ticket to Malmö.

I just find the whole thing sus, Iceland is a small country, easy to manipulate voting results.

hijirio

Veteran
If she didn't plan to make a statement she shouldn't be, as you said, gatekept to do so.

True, that’s why I said that all I can do is to be disappointed and lose my respect for her as an artist…

I hope she says something. xpray

Loindici

Veteran

MopManMoss

Veteran
Jesus, it has nothing to do with corruption.

Just the opposite, if Iceland was a corrupt country, they would have found a way to rig it in Bashar’s favor.

I’m talking about voting manipulation from exterior circles, call me a conspiracist, I have no way to prove this, just the way you have no way to prove that the voting system is what cost Bashar the ticket to Malmö.

I just find the whole thing sus, Iceland is a small country, easy to manipulate voting results.
Its been proven that a kan employee was trying to get Icelanders to vote again bashar online but its clear that it was mostly an organic movement to send hera

0scar

True, that’s why I said that all I can do is to be disappointed and lose my respect for her as an artist…

Would you be equally disappointed and lose respect for any of the other artists competing if they don't say something?

gingerale

Somehow the song is so nice that I don't keep listening. I think Söngvakeppnin had very good songs this year so it's a bit depressing Scared of Heights got the ticket to Malmö. :4:

Wynnter

Leaves me incredibly bored, which... for an uptempo song is quite "yikes" indeed. This is blander than flavorless yogurt honestly. In the end, the song does have something going on for it when it comes to the beat and the vibes, so it can stay in the "mediocre" territory just fine. However, this does still have a chance to drop down to "bad" in the coming weeks, depending on my mood.

:4: points

Fluke

I think this is one of the worst ESC entries in many years. As we say in Eurovision Trash Contest, she gives us nothing. The song would be last place in a Melodifestivalen semi. She looks awkward and unprofessional, she can barely sing, and certainly not in English. When she goes up on the platform it looks like she's trying to depict the title of the song literally, but i don't think that's her intention.

I guess for Iceland, it's back from looking promising for a while, to being the Portugal of the North.

Iker

Veteran
I relistened to it a few days ago and it is sadly just getting worse in my mind. It has faded on me from "alright but rather on the mediocre side of things" to "bad". It's stale and reminds me Embers and a few songs that ended up close to last at ESCs 2001-2003.

Zeus

Normally the bottom of my ranking is filled with stupid and simply bad joke entries + tasteless, generic female "bops". Yet somehow this song managed to be so incredibly bland and boring that it's second last for me this year.

MopManMoss

Veteran
Normally the bottom of my ranking is filled with stupid and simply bad joke entries + tasteless, generic female "bops". Yet somehow this song managed to be so incredibly bland and boring that it's second last for me this year.
How dare you, Acrophobia is a serious condition

Iker

Veteran

I think it's my 3rd last. I only have San Marino and Germany below Iceland this year in my personal ranking.

SpiritofKeiino

It's a poor song in my opinion. Without having a decent performer to elevate it, it's a NQ I think. Not being mean but she has no stage presence in that clip and vocals aren't great.

Top Bottom