5 3.3%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

empo21

Veteran
Isn't it supposed to be a double entrende? Diva Maria is Virgin Mary in Ukrainian, so there's some sort of a wordplay there, not necessarily calling them 2 divas (english) but idk.

All the virgins are born as human beings ✊

Ezio

Veteran
Isn't it supposed to be a double entrende? Diva Maria is Virgin Mary in Ukrainian, so there's some sort of a wordplay there, not necessarily calling them 2 divas (english) but idk.

All the virgins are born as human beings ✊
OK, I don't wanna open a can of worms, but Diva implies "divinity". Mary is not a Goddess. She was a humble woman handpicked by God for His own incarnation. She has no omnipresence, she doesn't have the power to pay off and pray for our sins, which is unnecessary also since we are saved by our Faith in Jesus alone and nothing else. Mary worshipping is idolatry. I wish I could be like her, but I fail. We should aspire to be like her. She took everything upon her that God asked her to do, become pregnant as a teenager, which would have made her a you know who and punishable to death, and to let her own Son go to the cross to pay for our sins with His blood so we all can live forever by Grace, and thus not insisting on Him to not do it. Imagine a mother watching her son going to be executed - voluntarily. I mean how much more humble and faithful could any human ever be? But is she God? Is she the Queen of Heavens? No. That's a distraction from the true gospel. So I would never call Mary a diva ever and she would never ask me to call her that.

Fierro

OK, I don't wanna open a can of worms, but Diva implies "divinity". Mary is not a Goddess. She was a humble woman handpicked by God for His own incarnation. She has no omnipresence, she doesn't have the power to pay off and pray for our sins, which is unnecessary also since we are saved by our Faith in Jesus alone and nothing else. Mary worshipping is idolatry. I wish I could be like her, but I fail. We should aspire to be like her. She took everything upon her that God asked her to do, become pregnant as a teenager, which would have made her a you know who and punishable to death, and to let her own Son go to the cross to pay for our sins with His blood so we all can live forever by Grace, and thus not insisting on Him to not do it. Imagine a mother watching her son going to be executed - voluntarily. I mean how much more humble and faithful could any human ever be? But is she God? Is she the Queen of Heavens? No. That's a distraction from the true gospel. So I would never call Mary a diva ever and she would never ask me to call her that.
🙏🙏🙏

empo21

Veteran

tenor.gif

Ezio

Veteran
Not Whoopie the atheist nun :ROFLMAO:

Fluke

I know Ukraine is always in the top 10, but for this to be #2 in the odds is fairly ridiculous. To me it just makes no sense, not that i dislike the song, it just kinda passes me by and i never really feel engaged in it.

I guess many fall for their charisma and how much emotion they express, but to me it feels contrived, pretentious and oddly subdued musically while being visually exuberant. I wouldn't be surprised if it managed to sneak into the top 5 anyway, or nearly, but to me it's another forgettable experiment i won't cheer for.

shameless

I know Ukraine is always in the top 10, but for this to be #2 in the odds is fairly ridiculous.
Be prepared for a surprise then. I think this is indeed the most realistic frontrunner but its still so early, there are too many factor to consider but I feel that Croatia has more potential to disappoint.

Kam2

PBC released first episode of Eurovision diaries in which Shurov revealed that Jerry and Alyona sent two entries to Vidbir and that he kinda quarrelled with Heil cause she believed that reject was stronger than Teresa & Maria

Sandy

I'm not really feeling this song right now. Maybe if I listen to it more, I'll start to like it. Who knows?

AlekS

Veteran
The duo has already started preparing with the art director. Jerry said she can't show it but preparations are in full force.
She's simultaneously touring Ukraine. It seems operatic ending is the part of the new version, I looove how it flows into vocalizing in the end without pause now.
are we getting a music video or not? :(
Jerry has just hinted there will be a music video.
The song has spent 2 months at #1 on Youtube. They will probably release it closer to May.

Kam2

PBC launched ESC2024 jury selection on Diia candidates:
  • FIINKA (Vidbir 2023 4th place)
  • Oleksii Bondarenko (music reviewer)
  • Oleksandr Verenytsia(PR expert)
  • Iryna Horova(Head of Pomitni music label)
  • Olena Koliadenko(Stage director for Tick-tock at ESC 2014)
  • Max Nahorniak (music reviewer)
  • Anna Svyrydova (radio program editor )
  • Kostiantyn Tomilchenko (Creative producer of STB`s talent shows co-stage director for 1944 at ESC and Stefania at MTV EMA among other things)
  • Alyosha (ESC2010)
  • Yevhen Triplov (Music producer)

Last edited:

ESC94

Today it was :ua: turn at the ESC kompakt songchecks 2024.

The verdict of the bloggers:

Benny - Love at the first sound. Two great women, who appear very contrary on a musical level first (especially when you keep Jerrys "Vegan" in mind), but who complement each other perfectly and create a very special song on this way. Yes, the performance was excavable but I´m in good spirits about that with Ukraine. Maybe the song jurys and audience can agree. :12:

Berenike - You can immediately hear from the song that this is a Ukrainian ESC entry. And yet it´s distinct and doesn´t sound like you´ve already listened to it countless times. I especially like how the melody builds up in the choir part and the emotions thrown at me in the rap part. :10:

Douze Points - It´s without a question that we´re dealing with two great artists. That doesn´t make the song any more interesting for me though. Pleasant coure of melody meets a softened rap. Doesn´t hurt, but doesn´t excite me either. :6:

Flo - There were certainly one or two things about their Vidbir performance that could (and should) work better in Malmö. “Teresa & Maria” is in itself a song that is fighting for victory. Not only do two of the most successful singers in the country come together here, but obviously two particularly talented musicians as well. This mélange of singing and rap is not only clever, but extremely successful and ties in with Kalush Orchestra in the best sense. And these are certainly not bad omens. :10:

Manu - And then suddenly there is this one song whose familiar-sounding melody catches you from the start and makes it impossible to forget. In such a case there is no need for brutal rhythms or flashy staging, an unspectacular pop outfit is enough. “Teresa & Maria” is such a song for me. Jerry Heil may need to get more secure on a vocal leve but Ukraine should rightly end up at the top this year too. :10:

Max - The song needed a while with me, but now I like it a lot actually. It has a special atmosphere and like so often Urkaine manages to connect so much within their entries. Modernity, tradition, depth, history... The country has been doing its homework every year since 2021 and presents strong entries that either fight for victory or end up very high. You´re welcome and keep doing so!! :10:

Peter - Usually rap is not one of my “heavy rotation” favorites, but here the mix is right. The anthemic chorus in the first third of the song is rousing, the good lyrics - delivered in the local language - come across as powerful and urgent. Jerry and Alyona harmonize in an excellent way and give each other room to develop. Compared to the previous year, for me this is a significantly stronger contribution from Ukraine and it will end up at the top, and not just for political reasons. :10:

Rick - Even though I was sceptical at frist because of the structure of "Teresa & Maria" appearing outlandish for me the song got me by now. I think it´s cool to finally see Alyona at the ESC and her rap part is the best and most authentic part of the song for me. Jerry really has to see that that she can can be competitive and I hope her vocals will be stronger at the ESC than in the national final. Generally a cool song but far from being a winning entry for me. :6:

SpiritofKeiino

Does anyone else feel like there isn't huge love or interest for this in the fandom?

I haven't seen a lot of comments saying it's people's favourite entry or that they want it to win.

0scar

:ua: has no business being in the top 3 of the betting odds
It's a good song but definitely not a winner

Ted Talks

Does anyone else feel like there isn't huge love or interest for this in the fandom?

I haven't seen a lot of comments saying it's people's favourite entry or that they want it to win.
Well it's my joint favourite with Switzerland, so what that says about me who knows?! :cool:

I am seeing a lot of 'if Ukraine wins, Eurovision is ruined forever' type comments online which is ridiculously OTT.

I would be really happy if it won. I think it just has a really beautiful sound and doesn't need a 'big finish' as I've seen suggested online both here and elsewhere. If you do that, it veers into cliché territory if you ask me. There's a quiet power to it and amid all the 'noisy' acts this year I think it'll stand out well.

musicfan

Shum
to
Stefania
to
Teresa & Maria

I think it's been a steady decline. Shum was tight but with variety, Stefania a lot looser but quite decent, Teresa & Maria is ok but only two main parts and the catchy chant needs more to play off.

SpiritofKeiino

Shum
to
Stefania
to
Teresa & Maria

I think it's been a steady decline. Shum was tight but with variety, Stefania a lot looser but quite decent, Teresa & Maria is ok but only two main parts and the catchy chant needs more to play off.
You missed Heart of Steel

Top Bottom